How to get a council house

(259 Posts)

Who deserves it more?

Wtf what kind of country are we living in when we have to choose who deserves shelter and who should be homeless?!

Urgh

creighton Thu 22-Aug-13 14:17:47

no one looks down on housing applicants, people look down on greedy, grasping people who want more than they are entitled to

housing staff do not put people on the street, they try to keep people in tenancies. if a family is evicted, it is through their own actions. it takes a long time to get to court and get permission to remove someone from a home.

the housing manager gave the man a chance to 'come clean' if he needed to, why didn't he speak to the housing association with whom he had the tenancy before coming to the local authority? he should have sorted his situation out with his own housing officer.

the woman who owed thousands in rent has obviously been given lots of chances otherwise the arrears wouldn't be so high. they are obviously trying to help her with the resources they have

the typical attitude of a housing officer is that they are glad to help people get homes and they think it's a shame that there isn't more property to offer applicants and people who need homes.

they do resent people who turn down 8 or 9 properties, who lie on their applications, who accuse them of keeping properties for their kind of people (i.e. black/white/english/foreign/etc....) or who don't pay their rent, or who smash up the homes they are given. they feel sorry for those who cannot help themselves, like old people or disabled people.

alemci Thu 22-Aug-13 14:34:14

also the lady who was the council tennant who now lived elsewhere and the property where her ex and partner were going to be evicted from, wasn't she effectively subletting and isn't that against the rules

NadiaWadia Thu 22-Aug-13 16:13:11

williamina - I had just posted about the episode I had watched and my perception of it (which I thought was the purpose of this sub-forum?) when Creighton chose to reply with a completely OTP rant about 'bloody whingers and ungrateful sods' and 'wiping tenants' backsides for them'.

Creighton seems to regard her former clients as the enemy, and (deliberately?) and repeatedly missed the point that it was wrong of the female officer to accuse that black guy being evicted of fraud, without checking her facts, and then offer no proper apology.

Also NOBODY is suggesting that they should provide 'handholding, cuddles, tea and crumpets' and that the Housing Officers should 'grovel'. What rubbish. All I am suggesting is that they should talk to their clients like equal human beings, not like children or criminals. It is often just a matter of tone of voice and vocabulary. I don't see how addressing them in an appropriate way would take up any more of the HO's time.

If a member of another profession (eg doctor, teacher) spoke about their clientele like that people would be horrified and rightly so. But she is apparently 'just telling it like it is' .... right . I'd gently suggest that perhaps she is unsuited a role dealing with the public, as she appears to find it too stressful.

Just telling it like it is!

JakeBullet Thu 22-Aug-13 16:29:10

I would think being a housing officer must be frustrating in the extreme at times. a short supply of housing and too many people competing for them. When you can allocate somebody a home it must be amazing which is why I was shocked when I saw the programme and witnessed people turning down NINE properties......that would not be allowed in my area...you get two offers and then are removed from the list. Couldn't believe the woman who turned down the beautiful flat in London with the fully fitted kitchen.....ws so shocked.

The housing officer seemed so philosophical about it...just said "well someone else will be grateful for it".

I think housing officers have a hard job.

NadiaWadia Thu 22-Aug-13 17:08:45

'OTT rant' obviously

creighton Thu 22-Aug-13 19:56:49

it was not wrong of the manager to ask hard questions of the man. he is an idiot for not sorting out his housing with his housing officer in his housing association before going to the local authority and whining about a threat of eviction. she does not have to apologise to him.

why should the manager have to chase around after him, when he is capable of sorting himself out?, is that not arse wiping? why did he not check his facts and get his situation sorted out when his wife moved out? he caused his landlord to think that he was illegally subletting, not the housing manager.

are those people not childish?

jakebullet, the housing officer was not philosophical, she was angry but tried not to show it. the flat is probably better than the accommodation that the housing officer lives in. the woman turned it down because it had no parking space, even though she did not have a car. she was going to 'have a word with the mayor' and make him lean on the housing office to 'magic up' a property with a parking space.

78bunion Thu 22-Aug-13 21:55:57

If the partner is violent surely the answer is an emergency injunction to exclude the partner from the hosue so the mother and 2 children can stay?

if the man separated from his wife has a wife who owns a house in Kent then part of his divorce claim on her is half the equity in that house.

creighton Fri 23-Aug-13 15:34:58

78bunion you are being far too sensible, you have to stop and apologise to all housing applicants.

StephenFrySaidSo Fri 23-Aug-13 22:59:55

it's actually quite naïve to think that any injunction will prevent someone (a violent someone) from attacking their victim again. all an injunction does is tell them there will be consequences if they do. the consequences don't undo the damage they've done. far safer to rehome the victim (even if temporarily) somewhere the abuser doesn't know about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now