There's no way of (Sir) Sugaring the truth as it's about to come out in the interview..The Apprentice Thread:the interview thread

(710 Posts)
Allthingspretty Wed 10-Jul-13 18:28:01

No can will be left unopened
No stone will be left unturned
As Mulder would say the truth is out there

So come on in!

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 12-Jul-13 20:05:37

It's not cupcakes per se, it's manufacturing that is male dominated. As I understand it, Luisa wants to have a factory, and most factories aren't owned by women. Even though cup cakes as a retail proposition are very probably more female heavy in the selling effort. I don't eat them either, you'd have to travel further than I'm prepared to go to get a vegan cupcake.

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 12-Jul-13 20:03:13

If Leah wasn't such a walking advert for the folly of what she is peddling, I'd think it was good to see a woman going into this business. I had to have placcy surgery (proper scalpel stuff, but not on my face) after being in a serious car crash. My dad had to have it on his face. Not cosmetic, just, really, fixing (he didn't go through the windscreen but something came through it so he got a hell of a lot of glass embedded in his face, also his glasses were smashed to they were in there too, it was a right old mess, the surgeon did a wonderful job). All the people we saw were men. It would have been lovely for me, especially, to have had a woman surgeon, or registrar, etc. There is a huge need for proper plastic surgery. Leah could do that. But no. she wants to turn a quick buck by transforming people into Barbie.

limitedperiodonly Fri 12-Jul-13 19:56:03

Never thought about before russians but you're right.

My botox doctor is a woman. Now I think about it, we've had conversations about the preponderance of men in the injectable and invasive surgery cosmetic industry and we've agreed that some, but not all, male practitioners may not be the best people to go to.

There's a big dollop of her agreeing with anything I say as the paying customer. But I don't think it's all lies.

We've had bitching sessions about a male surgeon we both know, for different professional reasons, who asked me if I had children and when I said no, said I could come back to him to fix my abdomen and breasts after pregnancy had wrecked them.

If I had been thinking of going to him that was the point where I mentally scored through his name. There were other reasons too.

I've no idea about cupcakes. I avoid them because they make my teeth go 'zing'.

RussiansOnTheSpree Fri 12-Jul-13 19:04:56

Actually, neither of the women in the final are trying to break into sectors dominated by women. The ultimate customers of their businesses would likely be women (although certainly not 100%) but their competitors are probably more likely to be men than women. I know that's true of most sectors but it is quite pronounced in cosmetic surgery and manufacturing.

wordfactory Fri 12-Jul-13 19:00:51

DS pointed out to me this afternoon that whilst it's great to have two women in the final, it's a bit 'stereotyplical' that they're trying to flog botox and cup cakes!

He's only 13!

limitedperiodonly Fri 12-Jul-13 14:31:52

I have botox and fillers. I prefer to use a proper doctor and don't fret about her bank balance or the thousands of pounds of public money that's been spent on her training.

I'd be surprised if Sugar went for it. Too much scope for 'Sugar wrecked my face' stories. But you never know.

Maryz Fri 12-Jul-13 14:03:29

I'm with you Not4.

I struggle with the idea of doctors wasting their hard-earned skills on cosmetic surgery rather than real medicine. And making money from it hmm

wordfactory Fri 12-Jul-13 13:29:06

Luisa's shop is in St Albans. It is called Dixie's Cupcakes.

I saw her the other day having her nails done. She is revolting !!!!

limitedperiodonly Fri 12-Jul-13 13:28:57
limitedperiodonly Fri 12-Jul-13 13:26:42

Does she tie her hair back? I'd be put off at finding a broken off extension in my frosting.

That would be just one of many things that would put me off setting foot in Luisa's shop.

Where is it btw? I don't want to go, I just want to know.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 12-Jul-13 13:15:16

My friend sees Luisa in her cake shop all the time and really likes her.

Kikithecat Fri 12-Jul-13 09:36:33

I'm with you Not4. I think/hope Luisa will win even though I've been irritated by her all the way through, because I just don't want to see someone toting cosmetic surgery bollox to win. I can't believe Surallan will want to put his name to it either.

Not4turning Fri 12-Jul-13 02:16:25

Well I am a lifelong lover of the Apprentice, until tonight. That silly 24 year old, Barbiesque, too much Botox already will be one of the people involved in telling my daughter that she needs to look a certain way! I am sickened and even more sickened by the decision because it will make money? Where are these people's principles?

I can't believe more of you are not going great guns at it.

Lighthousekeeping Thu 11-Jul-13 22:03:50

I'm sure you've already mentioned it but, surely their cv's were looked at when they applied to go on the show? It's all for telly isn't it?

Tee2072 Thu 11-Jul-13 16:15:52

Jin, he's her ex-husband.

No where do they say in The Apprentice remit that the idea has to be original, just viable.

Maryz Thu 11-Jul-13 14:54:38

Bloody teenagers needed a lift last night so I missed the end. I've caught up, but will catch up on the thread later.

I think Leah will win. Yet another expensive medical education, paid for by all of us, and fecking off to private business hmm. And cosmetic surgery at that. It really annoys me.

But I don't want Luisa to win either. She is a selfish bitch.

<gavel>

PoppyAmex Thu 11-Jul-13 14:28:49

I agree limited; you could actually see the glee in her eyes!

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Jul-13 14:26:25

I totally agree with all the people who said Wabbit thrives on other people's misery. She's awful.

Every time people came out of interviews she was in there with : 'Ooh! Was it bad? How bad was it? This is the worst day of my life. I bet you feel like shit, too.'

I think you'd be so shocked at the battering you got from Clodd you wouldn't notice Wabbit chipping away at what was left of your confidence on the way out.

PoppyAmex Thu 11-Jul-13 14:07:52

Rubix cube was hilarious though.

RussiansOnTheSpree Thu 11-Jul-13 14:04:46

chubbYes they do. Unless they can do every single task involved in generating the profit from their idea. They have to work with other people.

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Jul-13 13:45:30

And I'm not feeling the love for Clodd. He's rude for the sake of it and starts from the premise that everyone is a useless liar, which they might be, but is unprofessional because some people aren't.

His rudeness isn't witty either, which Margaret's is. My favourite is still Paul Kemsley from ages back. Funny with his insults.

Can't argue with Clodd calling Jordan a parasite and terminating the interview though.

Lizzabadger Thu 11-Jul-13 13:34:45

Obviously Leah will win. Wabbit wouldn't have been posing nearly naked in the tabloids if she'd won.

Chubfuddler Thu 11-Jul-13 13:33:30

Not one of them was really a team player. Except Jason. Who was sweet but ineffectual.

I'm not sure about the whole format of the show tbh - if sugar wants an entrepreneur with a killer idea why make them go through all the teamwork crap? Ideas people don't need to be team players.

limitedperiodonly Thu 11-Jul-13 13:25:37

I don't even think Neckbeard is a good employee. They emphasise teamwork so much in The Apprentice and he's not a team player, he's divisive. That would be excusable from a boss's point of view if he was a selfish git with good ideas, but he's just a git.

He's deluded about his abilities but with just enough awareness to recognise other people as a threat so bulldozes or trashes them. And I do think he'd be the sort of person to pinch your ideas and would whine about you if you outmanoeuvred him.

People like him are exhausting to work with and the enemy of productivity because you expend so much energy watching your back instead of working for the company.

I'm not sure whether he plays the dead dad card deliberately. Maybe he thinks it's part of his specialness that his dad died when he was relatively young when sadly it happens to people every day.

His dad does sound like a manipulative cunt though, but that's as much a tragedy for people who have to deal with his son as it is for Neckbeard.

Shrugged Thu 11-Jul-13 12:56:49

I don't honestly think he would play the dead father card in any conscious or manipulative way. I do think that, if you worked with NB, his dead father would almost be a presence in his own right in the workplace, because his memory (and what sounds like a rather unattractive form of pushiness for his teenage son to succeed in one field) informs absolutely everything NB does. It underpins what looks like iron-clad self-belief, which can be a positive till you see it can lead an apparently intelligent man to continue to argue against all expert advice for an obviously stupid business plan, simply because he needs to believe that he can make anything work if he's 'passionate' enough about it.

Honestly, the interviews got like some conversation between a fundamentalist religious person and a militant atheist, where the atheist keeps saying 'show me proof God exists' and the believer just keeps saying 'But I BELIEVE'. And DH reminded me that in fact NB could have junked his crap estate agent plan and come up with a plan B. That woman Helen Something who came runner up a couple of seasons ago was told her concierge business plan was no good, so she came up with something new that drew on her experience (something to do with food retail?) literally overnight and I think made it to the final. But NB was way too involved in Believing to listen to advice...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now