Are we ready for Mad Men tomorrow night?

(610 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Mon 08-Apr-13 17:31:12

So excited. We're we starting to see cracks in the marriage last season? I hope we see more of Betty this time.

Euphemia Thu 23-May-13 21:56:23

I bet she's got a part in Hair. Don will kill her with his very hands for going nuddy on the stage. grin

Lighthousekeeping Fri 24-May-13 17:57:05

I never even bothered in the end. I just deleted it. I hate all the flash backs.

SorrelForbes Fri 24-May-13 19:19:36

I haven't got round to watching it yet. Do I need to?

Euphemia Fri 24-May-13 19:39:56

Definitely!

Lighthousekeeping Fri 24-May-13 20:19:11

It wasn't for me. I gave it 15 minutes.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 24-May-13 20:47:22

I hate the flashbacks too. It's worth watching though, there's a creepy bit with Dons kids that scared the life out of me.

Kneedeepindaisies Fri 24-May-13 20:48:40

The bit with the kids was really weird. Which is saying something in that episode!

Lighthousekeeping Fri 24-May-13 21:17:01

Oh, just tell me please. I won't watch it.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 24-May-13 22:21:58

Lighthouse, I've messaged you with my very own personal synopsis smile
I didn't want to spoil it for others.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 24-May-13 22:26:53

I love Sally.

SorrelForbes Fri 24-May-13 23:36:11

How much Pete, how much Roger? [toomuchwine]

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 25-May-13 08:53:23

Sorrel eh?

SorrelForbes Sat 25-May-13 08:55:25

Oops! As in, how much are they in the Ep? Tru

SorrelForbes Sat 25-May-13 08:56:07

Bugger. Trying to work out whether its worth watching based on Roger and Pete quotient grin

Euphemia Sat 25-May-13 09:44:49

Very little Peter or Roger, no Joan. Weirdest wacked-out 1960s druggy episode ever.

I didn't like it - I hope it's back to normal next week, and not all unpicking this week's weirdness.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 25-May-13 11:15:39

Just stumbled on this thread and loving everyone's insights. I'm in NZ and I think we're an episode behind you, so trying to dodge any spoilers from tomorrow night's episode.

Thinking about the Don-Roger thing, and why Roger is so liked and Don not ... I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Roger is almost the only character who has any real warmth. Plus, he's also one of the most open, honest characters, so it's really easy to, well, warm to him and like him, in spite of the dislikable qualities.

Don has barely any warmth. The only characters he shows any warmth to are Anna, Peggy and Joan, really. And I'm purposely excluding his children here. Any warmth towards them seems just that bit too contrived - he doesn't know how to be a father, so he acts out the role to the best of his abilities.

I think the series is starting to pick up.

IdaBlankenship Sat 25-May-13 13:21:56

I think everyone should watch that episode like Sorrel - with too much wine! I think it would make more sense that way!

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 25-May-13 14:25:40

Welcome DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper possibly the longest nickname ever there grin
I saw you on another thread and nearly PMed you an invite to this one.

I think it's worth persevering with the episode coming up for you, even though we've roundly criticised it here. The tap dance alone is worth waiting an hour for. I had to rub my eyes with disbelief.

I agree we should all be pissed like Sorrel to watch but we ought to be drinking an old fashioned.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Sat 25-May-13 14:26:27

or smoking a doobey

SorrelForbes Sat 25-May-13 14:38:26

In my defence I did have wine and a martini (sort of 50s/60s drink)

IdaBlankenship Sat 25-May-13 14:47:40

Wine with a martini chaser - you sound like my kind of a girl Sorrel.

I actually enjoyed the episode, despite watching it with a WTF expression on my face. The burglar bit was really creepy - if I were Betty I would have gone more apeshit. Nice to see Betty looking good again aswell.

Kneedeepindaisies Sat 25-May-13 17:44:02

Hi DonDraper. smile

Why he is nice to Joan though? I understand Anna-the only one who really knew him and Peggy- he seems himself in her but Joan?

Is it because of Jaguar or before that?

IdaBlankenship Sat 25-May-13 18:39:09

He is nice to women he is not sexually involved with: Anna, Peggy, Joan. I think he loses respect for any women he can bed. Joan was never an option because of her relationship with Roger, so they can interact without the possibility of sex perhaps?

Kneedeepindaisies Sat 25-May-13 19:06:26

Do you think Don wouldn't sleep with Joan because of Roger?

Joan's slept with other colleagues so she wouldn't be bothered would she?

IdaBlankenship Sat 25-May-13 19:11:14

She slept with Kinsey, but I think that pre-dated her affair with Roger. I don't think she has slept with anyone else in the office though?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now