Are we ready for Mad Men tomorrow night?

(610 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Mon 08-Apr-13 17:31:12

So excited. We're we starting to see cracks in the marriage last season? I hope we see more of Betty this time.

kneedeepindaisies Thu 09-May-13 18:55:57

Ted!

Euphemia Thu 09-May-13 19:00:11

Peter tries so hard to be Don, but he never manages to carry it off!

Is the apartment Peggy and Frank Zappa are doing up the one she bought?

kneedeepindaisies Thu 09-May-13 19:18:01

Don would never fall down the stairs in a strop grin

I think it's the same apartment but she's regretting it .

IdaBlankenship Thu 09-May-13 19:47:33

grin at Frank Zappa. Its a new apartment in the neighbourhood that Abe wanted. I guess the 60's equivalent of Hackney a few years back when the arty types started moving in

Machli Fri 10-May-13 11:47:47

I loved the way the creative team all ran off when Don et al came piling back out of the office grin.

Peggy back with Don!

kneedeepindaisies Fri 10-May-13 12:51:50

That made me laugh too grin

Peggy and Stan as well.

I think Peggy will give Harry Crane a mouthful if required.

Unless the new agency has a TV person then Harry can disappear to L.A with his annoying secretary.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 10-May-13 21:52:07

I'm not reading this, I'm not reading this, la la la <puts fingers in ears and closes eyes>
Just got back from a three week holiday so I have three episodes to catch up on. Ahhh, can't wait. I'll go back and reread everything after I've seen them.

IdaBlankenship Fri 10-May-13 21:57:12

envy at three weeks holiday.

kneedeepindaisies Fri 10-May-13 22:04:00

Watch the episodes, read this thread, then go and read Tom and Lorenzo smile

Euphemia Fri 10-May-13 22:52:21

Watch the episodes, read this thread, then go and read Tom and Lorenzo

That'll take another three weeks! grin

IdaBlankenship Sat 11-May-13 16:57:34

Ah but three weeks well spent wink

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Mon 13-May-13 16:44:00

Ahh, all watched.
I agreed with T & L comments about Mad Men doing better when it's not centred around an historical event. I felt the episode when MLK died was a little wooden and uncomfortable.
I really loved the merging of the two companies though and the thought of bringing Peggy back into more scenes with Don thrills me. They have such interesting chemistry.
They are still setting up lots of interesting things for the future, I think this series is starting to bed down now and get more interesting. I'm excited about next weeks episode not just because of the actors, the acting and the sheer quality of it but because I want to see what happens next. That's the first time I've felt like that this series - Bravo Mad Men (can you tell I've been to Italy?!).

IdaBlankenship Mon 13-May-13 20:24:21

Did you do a Betty in Italy Accidental? Wear your hair in a fabulous beehive, smoke sexily and flirt with Italians?

SorrelForbes Mon 13-May-13 20:52:31

I've just watched episodes 6 & 7. Well, lots going on at SCDP then! Don's behaviour is making me very uncomfortable at the moment. I'm liking Ted a lot (but not as much as Roger).

I want that red dress <deluded as much too busty>

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-May-13 11:06:31

You have GOT to read Tom and Lorenzo. That site is my new addiction.

I am only on series 4 of Mad Men but have read the whole of TL episode synopsis and style analysis. And read most of the rest of the site as well. They make me genuinely laugh out loud with what they say (especvially about Johnny Depp and Jennifer Aniston yesterday).

I am so obsessed with Mad Men. I pretty much boo hiss whenever Don Draper comes on the screen, I loathe him so much.

SorrelForbes Tue 14-May-13 11:52:23

Yep, the Don loathe quotient is definitely on the up in season 6 too.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 14-May-13 12:08:45

I know, Tom and Lorenzo said grin

I think he is ghastly from the start. Bloody disliked him when he went on the piss when it was one of his children's birthday party.

Never enjoyed a TV show so much (and that is from a start of loathing everybody in it). I never thought for instance that I would actually end up liking Joan, Roger and Trudy. grin

SorrelForbes Tue 14-May-13 16:42:16

I'm going to a ball in July and am thinking of doing my hair like Joan's in Series 1 , Ep 3. Scroll down to see the pics. She's wearing a pink dress.

SgtTJCalhoun Tue 14-May-13 16:59:18

I don't dislike Don. Or Pete.

I find them uncomfortably true to life as characters, but there is nothing about them that surprises me. I think they are totally warts and all characters, a million shades of grey. That's the beauty of Mad Men. It's the only programme I have ever seen where the characters are as flawed and as complicated as REAL people. You only don't hate the REAL people you know because you don't know everything about them. Most people aren't good or bad like they usually are in fiction. They DO good or bad THINGS.

Another thing, why do people hate Don but not Roger? He's as much as a womaniser as Don, he left his wife and daughter of all those years, he tries it on with his friends wife, he used Joan.

I think Pete is my favourite character though, such an unapologetic pig of a man but the nuances to his character, to me make him fundamentally likeable, not because he's nice because he isn't, there's so much going on with him.

IdaBlankenship Tue 14-May-13 17:09:03

I could never hate Don, he is such an interesting and charismatic character. As I have mentioned earlier, I also love Pete, especially as a viewer you will him to do the right thing but he invariably does a shitty thing instead - but he does have flashes of decentness and humility which make it impossible to wholly dislike the character.

IdaBlankenship Tue 14-May-13 17:10:28

Oh and of course on a purely superficial, shallow level - Don is totally gorgeous and would have charmed me out of my pants in the time it took him to light a cigarette.

SorrelForbes Tue 14-May-13 17:18:15

Oh I agree, Don and Pete are fantastic characters, probably the most interesting in the show. I just fancy Roger blush

SorrelForbes Tue 14-May-13 17:18:34

and maybe Pete a little too

kneedeepindaisies Tue 14-May-13 17:23:01

In this series Don is making me uncomfortable. I don't know why considering his behaviour has always been awful grin

Pete makes me cringe. Which I would imagine is the point. When he fell the stairs I laughed so much.

Roger is great. He has such great lines and I don't seem to mind that he shags around.

What I love most about Mad Men is the strong female characters, even Betty!

kneedeepindaisies Tue 14-May-13 17:23:34

Fell down the stairs.

I'm laughing thinking about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now