The Brain Doctors BBC2

(66 Posts)
difficultpickle Wed 06-Feb-13 21:34:02

Amazing but hard viewing.

Stinkyfeet Fri 15-Feb-13 19:29:26

Rajmum - I agree with other comments -Raj is just gorgeous! I don't know where he is in his treatment plan, but if you're in need of any support there's a lovely thread on here called Children with Cancer, in the Children's Health section. Lots of mums with children going through treatment for various cancers, all happy to share experiences and offer support.

I hope Raj is coping with his treatment well and things are looking positive for you all.

pooka Fri 15-Feb-13 19:36:33

I watched oth episodes on I player last night.

My mother told me I just had to and she was right.

Raj's mum - I found your composure awe inspiring. I spent much of the second programme in tears myself, imagining (and completely failing) how on earth I would cope if I had to make a similar decision re my dcs. I wish you and your family all the very best.

Lelose - loved it when they turned your dh's voice on, and the ending. Must have been terrifying for you. Amazing place and amazing staff.

I think the programme reminds me of the great Ormond street one - fascinating, awe inspiring, uplifting and desperately sad all rolled into one.

scottishmummy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:44:25

glad your wee boy raj is doing well rajmum
it is moving programme and gives overview of v hard work staff undertake
and the harrowing ups and downs parents deal with

Mrsaurtherpendragon Fri 15-Feb-13 22:07:00

Rajmum-so glad raj is doing well. Watching that episode was heart breaking, you held it together so well, me and DH watched together and were in awe of your bravery and wondering how we would cope in a situation like that. Keep us posted on how he's doing. He is a gorgeous little boy with an infectious laugh, to see him running around at the end made us smile. smile Xx

Ps sorry for essay, but sometimes as humans we really don't know how much of an impact we have on others.

Defo going now...

I couldn't bring myself to watch this yet - dh had brain surgery last year and it's still a bit raw for me.
I'm glad it was an amazing show though and really showed what amazing people the surgeons and other staff are.
I can't thank them enough for saving my dh, he is everything to me.
I only hope we never have to see them ever again.

Rajmum Sat 16-Feb-13 12:25:46

Thanks for all the comments about Raj. He is coping well with treatment, we were going through 3 cycles of chemo. Just about to start the 3rd, hoping the last one ever. Fingers crossed! X

Rajmum Sat 16-Feb-13 12:28:06

Thanks StinkyFeet I will look up the other threads. X

difficultpickle Sat 16-Feb-13 14:16:55

I'm completely in awe of how brave you were in making such an impossible decision Rajmum. Fingers crossed for a continued positive outcome. Your little boy is adorable.

So pleased to hear Raj is doing well rajmum. My son has been treated by the JR team too so I know how brilliant they are but I was in awe at how you kept everything together. Fx for his third round of chemo and I hope he continues to go from strength to strength thanks

Mrsaurtherpendragon Wed 20-Feb-13 21:14:00

Poor Cerys, hard viewing....

GrannyRatOnAScooter Wed 20-Feb-13 21:19:07

This is heartbreaking

Fivemoreminutesmummy Wed 20-Feb-13 21:22:55

That poor poor lady and her little girl. I'm in tears, how heartbreaking.

gwenniebee Wed 20-Feb-13 22:12:40

Rajmum that is so lovely to hear smile Best of luck to you and your gorgeous boy!

Tonight's episode had me in floods again... it's inspiring and encouraging watching these amazing, dedicated people at work, but, in the nicest possible way, I hope I never have to meet any of them.

difficultpickle Wed 20-Feb-13 22:34:13

It has been a fab series and really puts life in perspective.

MrsPoglesWood Fri 22-Feb-13 20:39:38

I thought it was brilliant and very informative.

But I was a little puzzled as to how the Mum of the little girl with the brain tumour wasn't adequately warned that the tumour was most likely malignant beforehand. It looked like medulloblastoma from the scan to me and I'm just a Mum who's DS had it and survived. I can't believe that the neuro docs didn't know what it most probably was and didn't tell her. We were left in no doubt.

DS's tumour was also tested by the path lab part way through his surgery and they knew 100% before the op progressed as to what they were dealing with and what they needed to do. No 3 week waiting period. This was back in 1995. I can't believe that the John Radcliffe would be that far behind.

But we did love watching Dr Jay operating and swearing like a trooper and wanting Nirvana played at full blast whilst he was carrying out the most delicate of surgeries. He came across as a very lovely bloke with the best interests of his patients at heart.

Only just watched the final episode of this last night as I found the one before so hard to watch.

Lovely to hear Raj is doing so well - his story made me cry ALOT - what a gorgeous little boy you have.

I was absolutely bawling at that little girls mums response to the news. Of course it's what you'd expect, but it was so hard to watch.

I love Doctor Jay though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now