Call the midwife

(541 Posts)

Tonight?

Yes,*Georgina*, I think so too. Just read an interview with the actress who plays Sister Bernadette and she speaks of a big storyline/event.....

pirouette Sun 03-Feb-13 21:35:22

I didn't cry this week! Well, only a bit when the twins held the babies.

Yes, I think the nun and dr love each other. They shared a fag and everything. There were lingering looks....smile

The nun sewed the button back on the Drs coat a week or so back.

Button sewing proves it - it's luff smile

Pixel Mon 04-Feb-13 00:23:01

The plotline was a bit too predictable. Guessed early on about twins and surgeon's parkinsons. Ah well, my fault for watching years of Casualty!
Still enjoyed it a lot though.
At least they use tiny babies that actually look newborn, unlike some other progs/films. When I went to see Nativity 2 before Christmas and they had the birth scene at the end, I heard several people around me whisper loudly "That's at least five months old".grin

Am I the only stroppy person who wouldn't have bought the avocados after being so rudely mocked?

Pixel Mon 04-Feb-13 00:26:59

Am now waiting for the opportunity to say "you needn't look so askance" to dd. Probably next time I dare to ask her to do something helpful wink.

Porkster Mon 04-Feb-13 00:31:52

I SO want the dowdy nun to toss her mantle aside and run off into the sunset with the doctor.

Oodsigma Mon 04-Feb-13 08:58:29

Having just read the books I can see a bit of what's coming now . Usually this backfires but in this case I'm getting less stressed!

hackmum Mon 04-Feb-13 09:29:55

Nobody died in this episode, so that's surely cause for celebration.

I do so hope the nun and the doctor get it together.

AmberLeaf Mon 04-Feb-13 11:39:23

Ive not read the whole thread as I want to avoid spoilers.

Is this available on Iplayer? Ive just looked for it and cant find it on there.

I saw only the christmas one so have a few to catch up on.

Is there a link on the thread to it on Iplayer?

eminemmerdale Mon 04-Feb-13 11:58:21

were the twins played by one actress? I forgot to look at the credits.

I thought that they were twins as they were seen together... however, I"ve just checked the Radio Times and they were both played by Monica Dolan apparently!

eminemmerdale Mon 04-Feb-13 12:30:01

clever editing - I thought thatit was one actress, as when they were holding hands, you didn;t see both their faces together!

I thought they came in together at the end though. Didn't they? Originally I thought they were one actress and then I decided they had to be two. It was very well done.

diddl Mon 04-Feb-13 13:46:32
zukiecat Mon 04-Feb-13 15:02:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

atthewelles Mon 04-Feb-13 16:07:26

I think that was the happiest episode of the second series to date.

In real life Jennifer Worth lost contact with Jimmy before he ever got married or engaged. The first and only time she met his wife was when she bumped into him years later (in the 70s or 80s I think) in a shopping centre or DIY store looking very hen pecked by a very bossy looking woman. So obviously the current story is loosely based on her recollection of that encounter but 99% made up.

I like the way they're spreading the story lines around all of the characters this time. Jenny is interesting but so are Trixie and Cynthia. The storyline with the nun and the doctor is also very interesting. They have always given the impression that Sr Bernadette is a bit envious of the other nurses and their freedom to go dancing, meet men etc so it will be interesting to see how they play this one out.

LaVolcan Mon 04-Feb-13 16:46:29

I was having trouble identifying the surgeon but he looked very familiar - then it came to me - it's Strickland from New Tricks.

MamaMary Mon 04-Feb-13 16:57:23

Hello all - just wanted to join in, have lurked on the thread a bit. I've just watched yesterday's episode on Iplayer and I had a good chuckle when the porter was showing the new orderly to Chummy's old room and kept saying things like 'It'll be hard to fill her shoes...She was head and shoulders above the rest of them...we all looked up to her" grin

Is it just me or is the actress who plays Jenny a bit wooden/ one-dimensional?

JakeBullet Mon 04-Feb-13 17:06:28

Monica Dolan who played the twins won a Bafta for her portrayal of Rose West in Appropriate Adult.

Am loving this series as I used to be a midwife and it's been done so well. Have some old midwifery texts thst advised delivery on the side.....and if you are on a bed it is far far better than being on your back as the pelvis has much more leeway. These old midwives knew a thing or two.

JakeBullet Mon 04-Feb-13 17:08:30

Hi Mama....yes agree with you yhere. Think it might be the part itself. She is apparently going to be in an upcoming episode of Dr Who so it will be interesting to see what she's like in that.

Shesparkles Mon 04-Feb-13 17:11:53

I'm loving this series. I read the books in the summer and I'm recognising the storylines so easily, but not in a bad way.

The problem is that I watched it in bed on I player and then spent the night dreing I was in labour!

LaVolcan Mon 04-Feb-13 17:18:51

Is it just me or is the actress who plays Jenny a bit wooden/ one-dimensional?

If it's true to the book, there is a reason for her being one-dimensional. I am looking forward to seeing how that story develops.

MarthasHarbour Mon 04-Feb-13 21:58:20

Did anyone recognise the Jane Sutton character? In the book she is a cleaner not a nurse orderly, I suspect we get her back-story next week, it is very sad in the book <avoiding spoilers>

MarthasHarbour Mon 04-Feb-13 22:00:44

volcan I don't recall anything other than her affair.... What other reason was there for her being one dimensional? Feel free to pm me if you don't want to spoil, I have read all 3 books smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now