Utopia

(131 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Tue 15-Jan-13 22:07:37

Is anyone watching? I think it looks really promising I think.

SpanishFly Thu 17-Jan-13 11:38:01

caught up with this last night - I REALLY enjoyed it - except the torture scene :S
It totally drew us in from the start, and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Kato the boy was only limping after he'd jumped from the school window - he wasnt limping at the start.

KatoPotato Thu 17-Jan-13 11:48:47

SpanishFly you're quite right, but It's my tracksuit based theory and I'm throwing it out there now just in case!

Really enjoyed it but made DH watch the torture scene on mute with subtitles while I stared at the dining room!

Rollergirl1 Fri 18-Jan-13 21:53:14

Kato: What do you mean a killer from the past?? Do you know something we dont?

DH watched last night and really enjoyed but is also concerned. He is a lover of graphic novels and he thought the "Utopia Experiment" was going to be about something supernatural or impossible (has anyone ever read the book House of Leaves?) but instead he thinks it's just going to be about a pharmaceutical company creating something so they can find the cure. I'm inclined to agree. Even so it's very good.

Arby's character is creepy, scary, utterly terrifying!! He's a great actor, Neil Maskell, anyone whos seen Kill List will know his skills!

Who's the other guy with Arby? Is is name Lee? I think he strikes a remarkable resemblance to Charlie Creed Miles but can't work out who he is??

SpanishFly Fri 18-Jan-13 22:04:41

PLEASE NO SPOILERS! if u DO know something, don't post it here smile

KatoPotato Fri 18-Jan-13 22:35:21

My theory is that Grant is Arby.

It's based on track suit bottoms only!

Rollergirl1 Fri 18-Jan-13 23:17:39

No spoilers, i don't know anything. Just a theory.

maxmillie Sat 19-Jan-13 10:04:28

Good theory! I definitely thought there was something odd about him, you know when he leaves the house and his mother is passed out supposedly drunk on the sofa, you never actually see her and I reckon she's dead, he throws the blanket over the body, not puts it over her to keep her warm? Maybe he killed her?

I know nothing just theorising.

Isn't there a supernatural element though? There is stuff in the books that the author drew before they happened? Isn't that why they are after the second one? First one had molecular structure of the disease.

Orenishii Sat 19-Jan-13 10:11:04

Rollergirl House of Leaves is INSANE! Creepy, thrilling, clever, epic, odd....GOD grin

WTAF was that?
I'm in now. Need to know what happens

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 19-Jan-13 22:32:20

All your talk about torture nearly put me off, but that was a good first episode. Good to see something different on TV rather than the usual silent Witness type guff.

Finally just watched this. I'm in!

Fuck me that was violent - and that's '2' on the shock factor scale?? There's something a bit 'Clockwork Orange' about Arby & Co but can't quite put my finger on it.

Loved it but also keep thing about the bit in the record shop sad

And I have House of Leaves but never got beyond the first chapter when the house seems to have shifted an inch, you have just reminded me to pick it back up. Thank you.

*thinking

Rollergirl1 Sun 20-Jan-13 12:56:31

Kato: That's a really good theory acually. I can totally buy that!

Also what's with Arby and those things he eats all time? Are they raisins?

As for House of Leaves, I think it is one of the most formidable books that I have ever read. A lot of people write it off as gimmicky because of the bizarre format. But you can't deny that it is utterly unique. I would kill to have an imagintation like Mark Z Daniewewski. Just the content in some of the footnotes alone are the stuff of brilliant madness. And the story is clever, mesmering and terrifying. I would love for it to be made in to a film but fear that there's just too much content. It would be a ridiculously long film.

I think the 'baddies' are under some sort of mind control, they seem very emotionless and robotic.

StinkyWicket Sun 20-Jan-13 19:43:59

Watched it last night on OD. Loved it - right up my street! Can't wait for the next ep.

Does anyone know if it gets more violent? I'm not sure I can cope with the violence potentially including children sad

TreadOnTheCracks Sun 20-Jan-13 20:32:02

I am finding it all very uncomfortable and very violent. Nearly at the end of the first part so will watch to the end and see how I feel about trying part two.

Oodsigma Sun 20-Jan-13 21:56:48

V gripping but I couldn't watch the torture either.
Liking Wilson Wilson too

Did anyone watch part 2?

getagoldtoof Thu 24-Jan-13 07:51:05

Yes. It really stays with you.

I found number two very predictable, i guessed most scenes. I'm not bragging, I just genuinely never guess what will happen next even in films like Inception, which everyone guessed, but I hadn't a clue!

Despite this, I really enjoyed it. It was creepy. I didn't find the second episode's violence too much, but it was still very visible. It was interesting and emotional, when Grant is united with the gang I welled up. I can really identify with him as a lost child.

I am a fan, and mostly because of the beautiful colours. I could watch for hours.

Oodsigma Thu 24-Jan-13 08:44:42

Yes, I watched. Am a bit worried this is one that will promise & not deliver.

It thought it was good- not too much violence

Llareggub Thu 24-Jan-13 09:43:54

Love this - I really hope it doesn't turn out like Lost and be a waste of time invested in it. I love the way it is filmed, the dialogue and the humour. I haven't enjoyed something so much on television in a long time.

maxmillie Thu 24-Jan-13 13:42:08

I also thought the colours were amazing

SpanishFly Thu 24-Jan-13 15:33:11

I felt like I started to lose the thread in the second episode, for some reason?

the colours really are lovely - I love how it gives a dreamlike quality to it all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now