DOCTOR WHO Xmas special - the Snowmen!

(113 Posts)

How many days until who-mas? Very excited!

The snowmen look creepy, Clara looks clever and kind of like someone we've already met (yeah, write your way out of that one Moffat!) Madame vastra! Jenny! A doctor who is so tired of losing his friends... And something in the snow.

Sorry, susan - doctors grand daughter.

EleanorGiftbasket Sat 29-Dec-12 11:19:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fancyanother Sat 29-Dec-12 15:51:02

That's right. It is a good episode. I hadn't realised it was written by Douglas Adams. Wasn't the concept for the Snowman also a Douglas Adams one? Maybe thats not what the Clara thing is then.. hmm... back to the drawing board...

fancyanother Sat 29-Dec-12 15:52:55

I'm annoyed about River too. Whether they are really married or not, she did time for him and believed she is married to him. To completely forget about her when a bit of skirt appears is just cruel, which I dont think the Doctor is really.

ClaraOswinOswald Sat 29-Dec-12 22:11:58

But he hasn't met River yet in terms of falling for yet etc. so one last fling (or even several should be ok I think. This timeywhimey stuff is so confusing.

EggRules Sat 29-Dec-12 23:13:42

I'm not sure that MS is her doc.
Plenty of fling time.wink

Xales Sat 29-Dec-12 23:52:49

I do think the doctor is that cruel.

Look at how he was in the girl in the mirror towards Rose. Just dropped her like a hot potato.

CaseyShraeger Sun 30-Dec-12 00:07:27

I really enjoyed the characterisation, the dialogue, the sly references and the look of the thing. I thought the story was complete bobbins, though. And I didn't see the need for more kissing (although maybe it was put in just to toy with the fan theories that Clara is the Doctor's daughter/granddaughter/second cousin).

fancy, I think SM said that the whole "Doctor is retired and has given up on taking an interest in human affairs" plot strand was from an unfilmed Douglas Adams script/outline, yes.

fancyanother Sun 30-Dec-12 07:38:46

Now I've slept on it ( yes, my real life is THAT dull) I think River is dead. On the Series 6 DVD's, he takes her to wherever she was going to take her, I cant remember from the old TARDIS. They keep talking about 'The Ponds' which could include River. I think they have got rid of the whole Pond family. It could also explain why he is so devastated. He has lost his entire new family, his wife soon after Amy and Rory. (Of course, he doesnt know about his daughter, Clara wink

River will be back. She'll be about for ages. As clever as Clara is, she's no River.

Yogagirl17 Sun 30-Dec-12 08:58:15

"But he hasn't met River yet in terms of falling for yet etc. so one last fling (or even several should be ok I think. This timeywhimey stuff is so confusing."

Hang on. I know I don't know the ins and outs of DW as well as some but I've read an awful lot of sci fi over the years so I do get the timey whimy stuff (or at least I think I do). Surely all the stuff we've seen between the doctor and river has already happened for MS' Dr too because we always see the Dr moving forward in his own timeline...?

Virtuallyarts Sun 30-Dec-12 09:06:52

Why, when he'd retired and stopped taking an interest in human affairs, did the doc park his tardis in a cloud above earth and come down to visit? Shouldn't he have been sunning himself on planet sunseaandsand?

yoga, yes...this is very post-ponds. 300 years or so I believe I read. The doctor is generally moving forwards in his own timeline. River in his timeline is now out of stormcage & is now a professor, so the library is imminent...but it's already happened as a fixed point...but fixed points can be re-written these days.

virtually he's stalking us. He just can't get closure. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now