Corrie addicts! [Possible spoilers]

(1000 Posts)
kenanddreary Fri 16-Nov-12 19:26:09

So what do we all make of Marcus and Maria now? Think people are being a tad unfair on them. Even Kirk!!!

Loved Steve locking rob in the van.

Looking forward to seeing where the Tina pregnancy thread will go - hope Tommy comes to terms with it all. Loved the happy faces of Izzy and Gary.

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 13:50:32

Agree with what wish said. I'm glad corrie won an award.

ajandjjmum Thu 24-Jan-13 15:06:48

I wonder if people didn't vote for Natalie because they don't like Kirsty. Not enjoying this storyline at all now - want it sorted quick (and in the right way!)

Nancy66 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:35:10

backingnovice - I agree about all the halted weddings but re. the DNA thing - even if Tyrone did a test proving he was Ruby's dad it would make no difference - under UK law the child's mother must give written permission for the test to be carried out.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 24-Jan-13 16:06:15

I thought the same AJ not sure- don't watch any of the others- is the one who won actually any good?

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 16:37:59

Nancy you are right about the DNA. But surely he should know that he can go to court to get permission for DNA testing and ultimately a parental responsibility order. I know they like to make it dramatic but it's a shame they went down the 'let's have a big build up leading to wedding' as the story started so well. The wedding was added because producers like a story to build up to an event and a public scene. I wonder if they'll keep Kirsty and send her on an anger management course? Hell they flip reversed mad Mary's character. Remember when she went all Katy bates and kidnapped Norris. Now she's more likeable and I think they're setting her up to be with Roy once Hayley goes.

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 16:38:35

Kathy bates not Katy.

alemci Thu 24-Jan-13 17:01:51

also Tyrone commented that they had the evidence from the hospital he visited.

Won't there be a note on the file about how Kirsty was dismissed from the police and lied about Tina etc. She was rude to Rita too. Fiz complained about kirsty assaulting and threatening her after her finger got injured.

Also ages ago Kevin asked Tyrone how he got a split lip I seem to remember. No one has ever seen any injuries on Kirsty.

Maybe Kirsty's mother will come back into the story.

Nancy66 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:12:57

it's true about Mary - they did that with Becky too - her character was unrecognisable at the end. People don't change THAT much!

PoppyAmex Thu 24-Jan-13 17:26:55

True. I used to think they were just trying (and failing) to make the characters less one-dimensional, but now I realise it's just what suits their current story lines.

Kylie is another example.

It's annoying because it makes it hard to hold on to pet hates. Thankfully I still have Karl, LeAnne and Eva's headgear to shout at grin

YouOldSlag Thu 24-Jan-13 17:41:49

Bakingnovice, you make a good point.

They did that with Mary and also with Kylie. When Kylie first arrived she was a heartless cow who sold her baby and stopped Becky adopting. Nowadays she is quite a sympathetic character, really blossoming and a really good actress to boot.

Nancy66 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:49:48

...she is up the duff by her brother though!

Her husband's brother!

Mary did get quite stalkerish with Roy again a few months ago. Is she still living in a campervan somewhere? Surely she can't just live in it parked in a street somewhere.

My biggest hates are Owen, Karl and Gail. You can't accuse them of messing with Gail's character too much, she's always been selfish, a bit dim and overbearing with her children.

I was watching Corrie Years a few weeks ago and they showed Ashley and Claire's wedding, it was such a lovely happy day, seems happy wedding days aren't allowed any more.

Nancy66 Thu 24-Jan-13 17:59:14

oh yes, Brother in law....whoops.

snowiceslush Thu 24-Jan-13 19:31:01

Good to see awards going to Alan Halsall and the entire Corrie crew. I was surprised that the actress, Natalie, who plays Kirsty did not get best newcomer but I also agree with AJ. Kirsty is not a nice or likeable character.

I am curious to know why at the awards they all booed EE Joey's rl girlfriend? Who is she?

nellyjelly Thu 24-Jan-13 19:37:54

Hate Kirsty and think the actress overdoes it tbh. Sorry. Agree that the storyline needs to be concluded soon.

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 20:06:07

Nancy, poppy, slag - I made this point at the beginning of the thread somewhere. Corrie are notorious for totally changing a character. Becky was vile, unethical no morals a total chav. By the end shed been proposed to by every guy on the street and was meant to be the nations sweetheart. I hated her character. Same for kylie. Really vile but again now she's mum of the year, best wife best worker best daughter in law, with brains and brawn. Give over! I for one don't forget. I never warmed to either becks or kylie. Fizz is another one. Started all dopey and stupid but very clued up now. I do like mad Mary though, but corrie has a habit of descending into a farce.

They have to start allowing a wedding/ christening/ funeral/ nativity/ birthday party go on without a scene.

My current favourite is Karl. He's despicable but gets the best one liners. If you listen carefully there's a lot of humour intertwined in his depiction. Loved it last week when he complained sunita always burnt toast.

Nancy66 Thu 24-Jan-13 20:08:28

it's also a bit daft that Lewis is trying to con Gail with the EXACT SAME scam he first pulled on Audrey - the 'investing in a little hotel' thing.

Surely Gail would remember?

Bakingnovice Thu 24-Jan-13 21:13:01

Very true nancy! I'd forgotten about that. In fact it was the same setup. Lewis paying a friend to pretend to be opening a hotel. Lewis revenge was enjoyable at the start but it's getting sinister now. Maybe it's the dormant feminist in me but hate the way he's exacting his revenge on the whole bloody family and taking Gail apart bit by bit.

ajandjjmum Thu 24-Jan-13 21:21:41

Because I'm so old, I can remember Ivy and Vera coming to the Street, and I'm pretty sure they were universally disliked - and yet now Vera and Jack are considered to be one of the best loved couples ever. So maybe changing characters really is a Corrie trait from the early days - or maybe we just get to like/understand people more, as we get to know them.

I'm giving this way too much brain space!! grin

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 25-Jan-13 17:23:00

I'm also of the vintage where Jack, Vera Ivy seem like new characters! And yes, there is tendancy to soften characters - the Battersbys were nasty nasty originally then turned lovable.
Best bit about Corrie is the one-liners - our Tracey has some corkers, and I loved Brian's comment when Julie tolds someone they driven Kirstie round for hours 'and half a tank of petrol!' grin

MrsSalvoMontalbano Fri 25-Jan-13 17:27:52

Where is Bessie Street Juniors? Peter recently bundled Simon in the car, Brian appears to cycle - how do our Tracey, Sunita etc get them there - walking presumably? Recently in the Wendy Crozier story Ken took a taxi 'there' as the car was in for a service...
Yup, I know, I too am spending way too much brain on this!

One of my favourite one liners was years ago, Alec had taken someone (Bet probably) for a stay in a hotel and when asked if he wanted to pay the bill by cash or credit card, rolled his eyes to heaven and muttered "mortgage".

Chippychop Fri 25-Jan-13 19:44:58

Going back to characters changing our Tracey seems to have stayed the same old wicked cruel manipulative charActer... Although to be fair that's miles away from the shy " thou shalt not utter a word" kid when she first joined the cast.

Oh and why when a new bloke appears doesn't anyone say well she did murder her ex.....????

qazxc Fri 25-Jan-13 19:50:39

Fiz "He's a good man in a dreadful situation!
Chesney - That's exactly what you said about Stape!"
grin

didn't deirdre walk in on something that will back kirsty's version?

This thread is not accepting new messages.