Nigel Slater......ARRRGGGH HH so smug!

(90 Posts)

Isn't he?
Its all the little rubber sealed jars full of organic sugar and butter wrapped in brown paper. And the way he says cheese.

Agree he is odd on TV. But his recipes are the dog's bollocks.

His recipe for baked potatoes has revolutionised my life. I know this sounds pathetic but they are out of this world (all it invovles is (i) no cross on top, just prick over with a fork a few times (ii) when still damp, douse in salt (iii) bake on bars of oven forever, not on a tray and (iv) (the best bit) to open wrap in tea towel and BASH with the side of your hand which releases a big cloud of steam. You will never look back...)

mrsshackleton Thu 25-Nov-10 11:47:29

Nigel and Nigella did do a double act on Channel 4 many moons ago before either had hit the big time. Think C4 spotted Nigella's potential and she took off, whereas Nigel was consigned to the back of the cupboard until the BBC weirdly decided to make something out of his leftovers.

I will try it, Freebuttonbee, all my baked potatoes are pretty crap...

lalalonglegs Thu 25-Nov-10 12:23:08

I think that's exactly what happened mrsshackleton. I heard from someone that used to work with him that he was bitter about it for years.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 25-Nov-10 12:23:21

I feel I must add a elf and safety warning - a friend tried the bash the spud thing without the tea towel FreeButtonBee describes and ended up with burns. Please follow her instructions carefully grin

Roger that Clairedeloon! grin

actually he does have the look of someone that has been nursing bitterness for a few years....poor Nige.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 25-Nov-10 12:27:12

I do love Nigel Slater's books - he writes so beautifully.

But on telly he is like Alan Bennett crossed with Anthony Worrall-Thompson. Not a good look.

It really is twee - what the hell were the producers thinking. It is like one big smug middle class food-wank.

ProfYaffle Thu 25-Nov-10 12:28:54

I love the way he says 'cheese' though am always expecting it to be followed by 'gromitt'

MayorNaze Thu 25-Nov-10 12:30:38

i quite like nigel

he, along with rolf harris, has mastered the Art Of The Pause, illustrated thus:

"I do like Autumn <<pause>>, all the plums and blackberrys etc <<pause>>i think i'll make a crumble <<pause>> and i'll have it with custard" etc etc

over the whole half hour i think he only actually says around 4 sentences grin

Iamcountingto3 Thu 25-Nov-10 12:34:55

I love his books and the way he writes, but can not watch him on TV. Except kitchen diaries which is an exercise in urban-smuggery.

Actually, same goes for Nigella, but with bells on.

<whispers - I fancy him too... He's maybe only a little gay...>

MayorNaze Thu 25-Nov-10 12:36:08

i find it very strange that he isn't all carry on camp and mincey, yet my first thought is always oh nigel you are so very very gay, bless you

chocoholic Thu 25-Nov-10 12:40:47

What a genius he is.
Take one of last nights gems; what do you do with an old potato? Imagine my surprise when he sliced it and then fried it!!
Who else could come up with such imaginative ideas. wink

HonestyBox Thu 25-Nov-10 12:44:36

I love Nigel's marrow.

"Middle Class Food Wank" grin that made me laugh!

I don't think I could fancy Nigel even if I was ovulating.

pointydog Thu 25-Nov-10 13:12:27

I remember that show nigel did where he cooked with a sleb and then did a bit of a chat show over the meal.

It was turrible.

lazarusb Thu 25-Nov-10 20:06:51

He has grown on me recently...never really liked him before.

runaroundstartsnow Thu 25-Nov-10 20:29:28

I adore him, his recipes are so easy to follow smile

bluebump Thu 25-Nov-10 20:41:13

I am always jealous of his kitchen! I like his recipes too but don't love him that much on the telly.

BustleInYourHedgerow Thu 25-Nov-10 21:09:44

I love him, especially after reading toast, and the BBC are making Toast for Christmas! Toast for everyone!

MollieO Thu 25-Nov-10 21:15:28

I love him and least his face hasn't been botoxed beyond reason. Watched Nigella tonight and she is a procedure away from looking mask like (see Lulu, Caprice, Carla Bruni etc).

Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 00:20:27

yes but he WROTE to me, I have his letter in my 30 minute edition..... He has

beautiful

handwriting! I love him.

But one of the papers said it's hard to take a man earnestly talking about using up leftovers while standing in a kitchen large enough to land a plane in grin I thought that was funny.

People in Islington never know why they're so funny like that extraordinary woman Rosie Millard moaning about how hard life is when you can't rent out your flat in Paris and the three houses in London you bought as investments are jolly expensive to keep up when the tenants are cruddy chiz chiz chiz. I bet SHE knows Nigel but I bet her hates her.

Longstocking2 Fri 26-Nov-10 00:21:51

Well why won't anyone talk to me about paul hollywood now there's a baker who can knead my buns any time
grin

it must be late!

MayorNaze Fri 26-Nov-10 01:01:02

is he the blue-eyed silver fox from british bakeoff??

Punkatheart Fri 26-Nov-10 08:08:53

Love Nigel Slater - think he is actually very sincere.

Don't slate the Slater!

It's his family on Eastenders I dislike! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now