What should son wear to an interview?

(7 Posts)
amazingmumof6 Sat 15-Jun-13 14:15:06

the smarter the better

Mummywheel Sat 15-Jun-13 14:05:57

Thank you all for advice. DS has applied for weekend work in a few stores in our area. I think maybe if we purchased a suit at least he has trousers and a shirt as an option if feels the need to be a bit more casual. Then at least he has a suit for any other occasion that may crop up.

PandaG Fri 14-Jun-13 19:23:05

if he has a suit, I think that creates a good impression, that an effort has been made, he is taking the interview seriously. If he doesn't have a suit, I probably wouldn't buy one just for an interview (unless he would need it for the job), but suggest he wore smart trousers, shirt and tie and proper shoes.

landofsoapandglory Fri 14-Jun-13 19:19:54

DS1(18) has always worn a suit, or at least smart trousers, shirt and tie to interviews for weekend jobs. He has recently started a new one, which he got at interview, the manager said it was because he had made the effort and had worn a suit and polished shoes so he stood out from the rest of the other candidates.

I bought his suit in the sale at Burtons, but Matalan do some really good suits quite cheaply.

mikkii Fri 14-Jun-13 19:15:02

I usually interview graduates and they usually wear suits. This year one wore trousers, shirt, tie and smart v-neck jumper. One partner commented, but I thought he looked fine.

I guess it depends on the type of job he is being interviewed for, would he be expected to wear a suit when working? If so, why not invest in one for the interviews.

You can buy suits quite cheaply in tesco, matalan etc

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 14-Jun-13 19:13:22

No, not a suit. Unless it's a wedding/funeral/inner city finance job that just looks silly on a teenager.

What kind of jobs is he applying for?

What sort of clothes does he have/feel confident & smart in?

Mummywheel Fri 14-Jun-13 19:11:29

My ds who is studying at college has applied for a few weekend jobs and wondered what he should wear if he is lucky enough to get an interview. Should he wear a suit or are things a little more relaxed for 17 year old students these days?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now