16 year old Daughter and prom outfit - Help or advice please!!

(29 Posts)
crazypippa Tue 30-Apr-13 12:27:02

My daughter's prom is coming up soon. Now I have a daughter who is not your conventional "loves dressing up girl". She is very individual and does not like wearing dresses or make up at all. However her prom is coming up and I know, deep down she would like to go but the idea of dressing up etc is turning her off going. Can anyone advise me of any good places where, perhaphs she might be able to get something different yet (still feminine) for the prom such as a nice trouser suit All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Hitchcock1968 Wed 22-May-13 00:05:45

My daughter is the same, she doesn't really do the whole dressing up and make up thing. But we found some quirky dresses online by hell bunny and also 50's rock style dresses, which weren't normal but are totally my daughters style, she has ended up with a short 50's punk dress with a material made to look like playing cards. Although she doesn't like girly stuff, she loves this dress. With it we have a short petticoat and she designed her own converses because she doesn't wear heels smile

However we just bought a dress from angel dress.co.uk for the upcoming prom.

Theas18 Sun 02-Jun-13 20:59:42

Dunno if you are an all white or mixed ethnic area - we are very mixed and there were a lot of very decorated shalwar kameez around. If my dd hadn't wanted a conventional ( maxi length) dress her mate would probably have taken her under their wing and kitted her or Bollywood stylee!

The youngest will probably go 1950s grease/ rockabilly I think.

mathanxiety Thu 06-Jun-13 03:54:29

DD2 brought her sparkly flats to her recent Do and had a nice comfy night. Her dress was a very plain full length style, high neck and back, gathered at the natural waist, a cross between a halter and a sort of modified pillow case dress in light pink fabric with a bit of stretch and a few sequins, bare shoulders and arms. She's big on top and hates low cut dresses because she thinks she looks like Dolly Parton.

Don't let her wear trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now