GCSE tutorial colleges

(8 Posts)
flow4 Fri 01-Mar-13 07:55:56

And my previous post should have said "and is now thriving..."

flow4 Fri 01-Mar-13 07:53:47

Oh sorry, cross-posted. I don't think an FE college will have him if he's under 16. I don't know whether a tutorial college would either... Have you checked?

flow4 Fri 01-Mar-13 07:51:18

It depends on his personality and his reasons of course; but if your DS is one of the many teenagers who hate school, then you may find an FE college suits him better. A lot of kids under-achieve because they are 'activist learners' - i.e. they learn through doing - and school teaching style does not suit them (i.e. sitting still and listening). A tutorial college will be more of the same.

An FE college, on the other hand, will also offer more practical BTEC courses, and will put him through English and Maths GCSEs at the same time if he needs them.

A merit or distinction in a level 3 BTEC is accepted for university entrance... (A friend's son, for example, did the course my son is now doing a few years ago, and graduated last summer with a solid 2:1).

My son under-achieved quite badly at school (and was in trouble a lot) but is now on a BTEC course at our local FE college.

loopyloo123 Fri 01-Mar-13 07:06:10

Thanks. My son would be attending year 11 for GCSEs. For several reasons but a fresh start and more focused study than he is doing at his local comp where he is underachieving and not motivated. I hope he won't find being the youngest a problem though. I worry that the majority of students are 16+?

mindfulmum Thu 28-Feb-13 23:59:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loopyloo123 Thu 28-Feb-13 09:07:44

I'm thinking of full time study there though, instead of doing year 11 at his school.

beachyhead Thu 28-Feb-13 08:53:34

We did Justin Craig over Christmas, a three day course, doing Maths in the morning and Physics in the afternoon. Maths wasn't great, but Physics was great. We are doing another one at Easter.

They have centres all over the place, and you just ring and they try to schedule the subjects you want....

loopyloo123 Thu 28-Feb-13 08:50:38

Does anyone have any experience of these? DLD, Ashbourne, Westminster Tutors, Albemarle, Collingwood.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now