Teens are normal people

(54 Posts)
Gee0908 Mon 14-Jan-13 00:52:41

I have a 15&16 yrs old teens, and they are enjoyable. Yours too can be enjoyable. I will give you more info if you interested in my secret.

Brightspark1 Mon 14-Jan-13 18:30:31

Spare me the patronising nonsense

Maryz Mon 14-Jan-13 19:16:52

Lucky you startail grin.

Don't have any more, now, will you? I expected all of mine to be nice. Sadly only two of them are.

I'll keep the two, but the third is available to swap, if anyone would like him for a while.

bootsy - you are right. Mine were all perfect (and I was a perfect parent) until they were born. It's gone a bit downhill since then.

Define normal?
Selectively deaf? Complete refusal to wear anything other than dressing gown and boxer shorts all day? The ability to use an entire Lynx gift set in a week? The ability to eat a weeks worth of shopping in a day?
The sending of unfathomable text messages?
That's normal for ds1. He is quite pleasant with it though, and cooked a lovely dinner tonight and made me a coffee when I got home from work.

MuchBrighterNow Mon 14-Jan-13 20:17:08

I have one available to swap ... He's surprisingly nice when he's stoned , Its when he's normal things can get a bit tricky....

Winternight Mon 14-Jan-13 20:22:20

I have 26. They vary.like people of other ages.

bootsycollins Mon 14-Jan-13 21:36:58

Startail are you seriously saying that you expect your teenagers to be nice therefore they are?. Your either into some funky voodoo shit or living in DENIAL!. The only things I can agree with is the fact that teenagers aren't aliens, I can't agree with your teenagers being lovely because I don't know them. Most parents expect their children to be lovely if they've put the effort in raising them. Most parents think their children are lovely (even if grudgingly admitted under severe interrogation), we as parents after all love them unconditionally (*disclaimer this clause does not apply to the toxic parent).

Teenagers are like toddlers on steroids, all the pushing boundaries power, double the strength. You don't wake up one morning mature, responsible and adult it's a hormone drenched struggle for the teenager and a right pain in the arse for anyone else caught in the battlefield.

If you choose to live in the land of sunshine and lollipops where teenagers seldom disagree and cut out the middleman by taking our advice and learning from our mistakes then good for you. In my world toddlers are not to be negotiated with, teenagers however like to think that their needs and wants have been taken into consideration before a level of compromise has been agreed. They need to feel that however small a victory they have indeed achieved a better deal than the first offer. For their part in this bizarre dance they play the perfect well adjusted young adult card to perfection (this works best on gullible types) which isn't rocket science it's just a clever manipulation technique used to lull the gullible parent into the land of rainbows and unicorns, the ultimate smokescreen to draw away attention from what's going on behind the scenes.

That's my theory anyway.......

flow4 Tue 15-Jan-13 01:09:40

All you need to know to survive the teenage years, in 8 very special seconds of video.

MuchBrighterNow Tue 15-Jan-13 05:44:41

spot on bootsy and very eloquent !

grin flow

cory Tue 15-Jan-13 07:51:03

Does this "they are nice if you expect them to be nice" work with other age groups too? Adults? Geriatrics? Will Auntie Muriel or Uncle Bill or the controlling parents on the Stately Homes threads suddenly turn into nice people if you just expect them too?

What a little Pollyanna you are to be sure, OP.

I don't think my 16yo is a toddler on steroids, but she's not a lump of clay in my hands either. She has a personality and a life of her own, she has experiences I cannot control, she has her own responses to them, which again I cannot control.

As it so happens, she is a nice person. But she is not a happy person, and I cannot turn her into a happy person however much I try. Not everybody is a nice person at 16, any more than everybody is a nice person at 35 or 69.

bootsycollins Tue 15-Jan-13 10:32:40

Haha that's my new mantra Flow4! Thank you MuchBrighterNow. Cory I agree, I actually meant the situations are on steroids, gone are the days when bad behaviour was dealt with by time out on the naughty step etc. The everyday power struggles that happen in the teenage years are an absolute nightmare.

Startail you don't believe in rewiring brains, have you ever heard of cognitive behavioural therapy?.

Startail Sat 19-Jan-13 01:35:02

DD1 doesn't push boundaries it's not her style. She's far too bright. Knows she gets far further by working with people than being rebellious.

She was born with a grown up head on her shoulders. Doesn't always go down well with children her own age as she can't be arsed to fit in. She's a quirky dyslexic, to fit in she'd have to consciously try and be someone she's not. I think she bothered for a week at preschool.

DD2 likes the world to revolve around her, but she also likes to feel safe and loved.

She does like to fit in with the outside world, but she likes to come home and chill too.

She'll kick boundaries, I'm sure, but we live in the middle of no where so she's pretty stuck.

Yes she could decide to get in trouble at school, but she just wouldn't.

She's as law abiding and as respecting of authority as her dad. She might kick off at home, but never ever in public she'd be mortally embarrassed. Also she has to get better marks than her sisterwink

Seriously the only cheeky rebellious on here is me and I'd grown out the worst of by 11.

Like DD1 I knew my parents would be on my side and give me a fair degree of freedom as long as I wasn't stupid.

(And yes my DDad would have come down like a ton of bricks if I hadn't).

Startail Sat 19-Jan-13 01:44:32

I love the idea of toddlers on steroids.

Now if DD1 was a hyper version of herself at 2 I would want to swap.

She climbed everything, fiddled with everything and ran off if not on reins.

Believe me the teen version is a 1000x more relaxing.

Startail Sat 19-Jan-13 01:45:59

And even then she had the sense not to fall, not to break things and not to run into roads.

cory Sun 20-Jan-13 11:03:26

How nice that things are so nice for you, Startail. hmm

I too expected things to be nice too and dc to be sensible and relaxed, because dh and I are such sensible relaxed people. Dd is just out of hospital after her second suicide attempt in six months. sad

She has no problems at school, we have never had a serious disagreement since she entered puberty, she is respectful of authority and pleasantly behaved and gets on with everybody around her and has a great sense of humour.

But a combination of mental health problems and painful physical health problems means she has sudden moments when she feels she cannot carry on. It only takes a second...

This could happen to any one of you.

You can be the best parent on earth- THERE ARE NO BLOODY GUARANTEES!

Fabsmum Sun 20-Jan-13 22:48:19

"DD1 doesn't push boundaries it's not her style. She's far too bright"

My dd pushes boundaries big time. Is it because she's thick or summat?

cory Mon 21-Jan-13 08:50:34

still waiting for the mysterious secret- heaven knows we could do with it around here sad

noddyholder Mon 21-Jan-13 08:58:08

Lolololololol

MuchBrighterNow Mon 21-Jan-13 13:23:22

Yeh ... what's the secret OP ?

CuttedUpPear Tue 29-Jan-13 07:29:06

Yeah Chris, fess up.
Is this pyramid selling?

TopsyRK Tue 29-Jan-13 12:37:27

Yeah Chris, fess up.
Is this pyramid selling?

Sorry but not me..

CuttedUpPear Tue 29-Jan-13 21:11:16

What's your agenda then? Surely you can't think gliding gracefully on here telling us that we are all parenting wrongly will go unchallenged?

tattoosarenotallowed Wed 30-Jan-13 18:14:31

Is the secret lots of wine?

Is the wine for them or us??!

tattoosarenotallowed Wed 30-Jan-13 18:27:26

Whichever would work best! Maybe both! grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Jan-13 18:57:48

What's with all the unwanted advice on this topic all of a sudden? confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now