Need advice fast!

(11 Posts)

just got back from hols.

Have a White long haired sow. She is FILTHY, when I just realised how dirty she was I gave her a quick dunk in the bath. However, she is so dirty her hair has matted near her rear end. I have had to cut her hair :-(

She appears distressd. Shall I put her back in her hutch to calm down even though she is still damp after her bath??!

I'm so upset with my friend who looked after them sad

Floralnomad Tue 25-Jun-13 19:15:48

Would she be happy to be wrapped in a towel and just sit on your lap until she's dry ?

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Tue 25-Jun-13 19:16:50

Would she feel calm wrapped in a towel on your lap? We used to do this with our GPs.

Hope she feels better soon.

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Tue 25-Jun-13 19:17:25

Snap, Flora

She is wrapped up. She absolutely stinks. She needs a long soak sad

FernieB Tue 25-Jun-13 20:22:34

Poor girl. Give her lots of snuggles today. You could try some of the cleaning wipes you can get for small furries - they may help a bit without having to dunk her. Hope you can get her back to her normal gleaming self soon.

Poor girl sad

Cut the matted bits off definately - it'll grow back and she'll feel much more comfortable.Better to look a bit chewed than have a dirty rump.

Try some baby wipes or similar to work through her fur? Good for getting dirt out and she'll find the stroking action soothing.
I put my boys in a box of hay after they've had a bath and a towel dry and keep them indoors until they are dry.
I use a low hairdryer (keep it moving and I keep my hand between the dryer nd the pig to prevent overheating) but she might not tolerate this.

FernieB Tue 25-Jun-13 22:37:43

Echo the hair dryer - I do the same with my boys and they love it grin

DD always puts her hand over the boars rumps to stop me scorching their bollocks......................................"Mind his 'nads , Mum"

as if I would harm my FurBabies (I wouldn't be so cruel and I wouldn't like to have to explain it to the vet)

FernieB Wed 26-Jun-13 15:35:02

Hope she's clean, dry and fully recovered now.

Have just been to move my boys out to their run and discovered that my lovely, white, Smoothpig has been curled up asleep on top of his tomato! His rump is now slightly orange confused. Bath time I think.

guineapiglet Thu 27-Jun-13 08:46:18

Lol at the thought of smoothpig curled up on top of his tomato!! And at 70 explaining away scorched parts ....

Hope your girl has recovered from her ordeal now and calmed down a bit bless her. One set of our neighbours were brilliant with the guineas whilst we were away..the others would only be asked if desperate....it is hard leaving them if you know they are not going to be kept up to standards...< which are extremely high of course>:O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now