Long padded down coats - are they a bit frumpy?

(36 Posts)
Woozley Wed 07-Nov-12 11:39:34

The only people I see wearing them are mums on the school run...now, nothing wrong with that per se, but I'm just looking for something stylish, practical, but a bit, erm, fashionable, for want of a better word.

I am 37, quite tall, size 12-14 and am not trying to pretend I'm 19 or anything, but neither do I want to age myself either. I have a short padded coat which is very warm and light but it is enormous and I feel like Michelin woman so I think the longer padded ones are more slimming. Also my current coat isn't very waterproof with no hood so no good at all in snow/a lot of rain.

What about this one in purple or black?

Long padded coat

My hair is a bit like that too but brown! I tend to wear teal/petrol blue or slightly darker blues.

ZaraW Tue 30-Apr-13 09:11:00

I got a second hand Belstaff on E Bay and no it's not frumpy at all. Not too bulky and extremely warm. Have had loads of compliments on it. Even if if was frumpy I don't care I really feel the cold and this did me well when I was in Berlin early in the year and it was FREEZING!

MercedesKing Thu 07-Mar-13 09:20:04

Guess it is unavailable right now, you see, weather on the northern hemisphere is getting warmer, well, I have to admit that I have always being in need to find one like this, but I am not that lanky to have one in the long section, anyways, If I met that, I would like to have one saved for the colder weather. smile

Knowsabitabouteducation Sat 23-Feb-13 23:06:41

My Canada Goose does not look frumpy

Bouncey Sat 23-Feb-13 22:56:48

I have the joules Belmont and it's very cosy but also looks good. It's belted around the middle which gives it more shape. Most practical coat I've owned and better than my old Barbour.

whatyoulookinat Sun 20-Jan-13 18:06:37

Yep frumpy. As previous posts say, get a parker.

Sonotkylie Sun 20-Jan-13 18:02:37

I have that one in purple. Bought this year and I can honestly say it is the first year I have had a coat that always keeps me warm, whatever the weather and instead of having to layer up so much I can't move. That said, its not beautiful. I agree it depends on bag/ boots etc. With muck boots, fur hat and a labrador it is definitely frumpy - but at that point I don't care! I coveted the Aigle Cuckmere but couldn't justify it when I wasn't sure how much wear it would get. Also I found some of the others had too much around the face - fake fur, clever hood devices etc and I felt swamped and my head seemed either massive or minute in contrast. Its like wellies really, if you need something to do that job, it may not be beautiful, but you may not care ...

coraltoes Wed 16-Jan-13 10:36:30

I have a moncler one, belted. So so warm. Don't think they look frumpy but depends on the exact style you pick, and what your boots/bag look like!

ilovezumba Thu 13-Dec-12 01:40:17

http://www.joules.com/Women/Jackets-Coats/Belmont/Womens-Feather-And-Down-Coat,-Detachable-Hood/Black?id=N_BELMONT|BLACK

This is so warm and looks great on, I have tried it on a few times. Tempted myself.

Coats like that always remind me of the insulation you get on hot water tanks. It's not pretty but if it works for you then wear it. Just don't do thinking it makes a non-frump statement. I would say it would be a high risk choice if that was your aim grin If your aim is a warm bottom then it's a sure thing grin

Mu1berries Wed 05-Dec-12 19:30:45

i know, if you think my coat is frumpy you should see my hat wink

i scrub up well honestly... but it's four degrees where i am today..

Springhasarrived Wed 05-Dec-12 17:08:17

I've got the Landsend down commuter coat. It IS waterproof - rain just beads off it. It is also frumpy but I really dont care. I bought it to be warm and it does the trick. Better than being cold, and I have lots of none frumpy coats and jacket for other days! grin

Mu1berries Wed 05-Dec-12 07:37:03

depends where you're going of course

Mu1berries Wed 05-Dec-12 07:35:39

well i'm in ireland and I could do with another one. I have one landsends coat that is worn to a thread because i've had it seven years and despite having other coats it's the one i end up wearing late november to mid feb. the rain is not as bad as the stereotype suggests in my part of ireland.

i was in a fancy sports shop yesterday stroking the GREY long north face and I thought it was lovely the way the hood was built in. and it's thinner than the landsend. not frumpy at all i thought! would be gorgeous with pink scarve I thought.

pinkhousesarebest Tue 04-Dec-12 15:19:17

I have the North Face Arctic. I loathe and love it in equal measure. It is frumpsville without a doubt, but I live in a place with harsh Winters and it is brilliant in the cold. Don't know though if the UK climate really requires this sort of coat though.....anytime I am home it is the rain that is the problem.

Mu1berries Sun 02-Dec-12 09:49:36

i have a landsend long down coat and i don't think it adds a stone. maybe because it's quite longto the knees so the effect is long rather than barrel. I hope. I hope. but like i said when it gets cold you don't care that much.

I would prefer a northface coat but twice the price of a landsend one. maybe more because i bought mine when it was 20% off.

Mu1berries Sun 02-Dec-12 09:47:20

I think they ARE a bit frumpy but once the temperature goes beneath about 7 or 8 degrees, I would rather be frumpy than freezing!!

SchnitzelVonKrumm Sun 02-Dec-12 09:45:55

Frumptastic I'm afraid, but very warm. Get a nice parka.

I was thinking about getting one but have been hearing that the down is really cruelly collected sad. Has put me right off (and off my bedding)

StockingFilly Wed 28-Nov-12 18:29:58

They add a stone on you, imho, but depends whether people care that much when they are just braving the cold on the school run, I guess.

I have a Didrickson fitted parker for casual and a long, military style wool coat for going out. Down coats make me feel like Kathy Beale.

HousewifefromBethlehem Tue 27-Nov-12 19:28:51

Mine is waterproof, it's lightly waxed

gilmoregirl Tue 27-Nov-12 18:28:21

I would not go for a down or padded coat as they are not waterproof (in fact they absorb water speaking from experience of a north face metropolis that cost > £100 and can only be worn on day days sad)

Have a look at some of the other threads about the perfect winter coat.

The merrill wakefield padded is popular and not frumpy and there are lots of others that are fitted.

I seriously considered the lands end ones but really they ARE frumpy, sorry. My American friend was stunned that someone my age (38) would even contemplate lands end as in the states is granny wear blush

MorrisZapp Tue 27-Nov-12 18:09:06

I've got a Jack Wolfskin, it's fab.

HousewifefromBethlehem Tue 27-Nov-12 17:59:20

I've got this Barbour peninsula it's great! I don't think it's frumpy, but then again I don't care grin

acertainage Tue 27-Nov-12 17:55:01

Asda have some nice ones. Moda one has a belt and it's only £35 so not the end of the world if you get bored with it and they have 25 percent off today. I think they look alright but I'm 27 and think they are a bit old for me!I prefer the look of the short belted quilted jackets rather then padded.

Mumelie Mon 26-Nov-12 22:04:41

Frumpy - yes, but it would be warm and practical! If its essential buy it and wear it with pride grin. I'd personally buy a parka, but I don't have need of that level of warmth (have it built in!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now