Exfoliating and self-tanning moisturisers

(21 Posts)
evansmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 11:22:06

Last year I tried these and was fine for a few days then started 'peeling' off. I rang the helpline number on the back of the bottle and the lay said I needed to moisturise. So I understand the principle, exfoliate before applying tanning moisturiser. But if I exfoliate the next time before applying cream, will that just not take off the tan that's built up? I hope I'm making sense. Can someone talk me through this please, I'm very confused.

mrsmerryweather Wed 01-Jul-09 11:44:12

exfoliating when you have already "tanned" will take some of it off but not all.

You shouldn't need to re-exfoliate very often ime.

Once a week maybe?

If you moisturise in between applications of tanning it should make it last longer.

Personally, I don't get on with ST moisturisers- Johnsons one made me very orange- I went back to my Clarins gel andmix 50/50 with body lotion and it's great- redo every 3rd day after a couple of applications, just to get rid of the lily white pallor.

I had this problem with johnsons and dove, but I have been using the garnier one recently and so far so good.

evansmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 12:15:44

I've got 2 bottles of dove (bogof) so don't want to buy anything else. So if I exfoliate once a week, moisturise every day, and self-tan moisturise every other would that work do you think?

I thought the point of these st moisturisers were so that you didn't have to put a separate body lotion on aswell?! Grr! I hate being so pale it's such a faff, lol!

I think that would probably work. It would probably look more natural too.

tigerbear Wed 01-Jul-09 12:36:08

Evansmummy -Oh, I just had this too - with the Johnsons - looks good for first few days, then I get little clumpy bits, and horrid dark bits sinking into the lines and creases on my neck! And I'm slightly orange...

So is the Garnier one much much better than the Johnsons, wanderingsheep?

evansmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 12:47:02

I wouldn't normally bother but my upper half is beautifully tanned and my legs are whiter than white. I'm gonna look a right wally on the beach otherwise.

I'll put a shout out for wats, she is the queen of beauty, being a make up artist n all

smile

evansmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 12:59:58

Do it! Thank you!!

Done

watsthestory Wed 01-Jul-09 13:03:25

Message withdrawn

<snogs wats>

watsthestory Wed 01-Jul-09 13:06:46

Message withdrawn

evansmummy Wed 01-Jul-09 13:51:29

Thanks for that. No pools, we're on a beach holiday, so no chlorine. That takes care of that. Do I only exfoliate if it streaks then? Is it not better to preempt it with exfoliating in between? I am such a novice!

<get a room>

grin

watsthestory Wed 01-Jul-09 17:25:34

Message withdrawn

MrsSeanBean Wed 01-Jul-09 18:06:50

To answer the OP - yes to a degree, but after you have repeated the whole process several times, I find the exfoliation has less of a negative effect.

When I clicked on this thread I was hoping someone had found a miricle proiduct which did all 3 jobs in one go! Naive, I know. If a cellulite busting ingredient which worked could also be added to the mix, it would be a best-seller!

MrsSeanBean Wed 01-Jul-09 18:07:03

miracle

Tigerbear, yes I think the Garnier one is better. I find it sinks in better as I used to feel really sticky with the Johnsons one. It smells nicer too!

evansmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 17:54:05

Just to say thanks for the replies, will carry on moisturising every day, exfoliating once a week and tan moisturiser every other day and see how i go.

Thanks again

tigerbear Thu 02-Jul-09 23:32:37

Wanderingsheep - thanks, will def try the Garnier, as I have indeed been feeling that the Johnsons is a bit sticky, and doesn't feel like it fully sinks in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now