Saltwater sandals

(106 Posts)
Saurus72 Sat 08-Mar-14 21:25:16

I need some flat sandals to wear on holiday, and just for scuffing around in at the weekends in summer when heels/wedges are not an option, e.g., if I'm going shopping, walking for miles etc.

I have some Birkenstocks and find them OK, but not brilliantly comfy. I also have some Fly london sandals with a tiny wedge, but they are nearing the end of their life.

So, I've been looking at Saltwater sandals - I love the colours and they look pretty comfy. Any opinions/experience of wearing them gratefully received.

Toothytwo Wed 25-Jun-14 20:16:46

They do give a bit Flora, I have wide feet. They got even better after I wore them into the sea, sort if confirm to your feet.

Kittie, I'm a 5.5 too and have 39, they're just right.

Sleepthief Wed 25-Jun-14 20:16:35

If you put them on and soak your feet in water they'll mould to your width (possessor of three pairs and wide great grin)

floraflora Wed 25-Jun-14 20:13:16

Oh, and I am also a 5.5. I bought the 39, which seems fine in length.

floraflora Wed 25-Jun-14 20:12:34

Bumping...
Same question.
I have just bought some from Toast, as they look comfy (and to my eye quite attractive). They arrived today. I have very wide feet, to my amazement I could get them on, but they are a bit snug, so am wondering if they will give a bit.
Those of you who have them - especially anyone with wide feet - can you reassure me that they will give / mould to my feet?
Thanks.

KittieCat Sun 06-Apr-14 08:42:52

Sorry to reanimate the debate but just wondered what others have found in terms of sizing..? I'm a 5.5 and am unsure whether to order a 38 or 39. Any other awkward 1/2 sizers out there? Do Saltwaters stretch?

Suzannewithaplan Thu 27-Mar-14 23:12:57

I'm very tempted but I wish the kids styles came in adult sizes

Tweet2tweet Thu 27-Mar-14 23:05:03

I have red and navy. comfy, look good and get lots of compliments. I don't think they as frumpy at all, guess it's about how you wear them etc

MsRinky Thu 27-Mar-14 22:29:40

I bought navy and love them so much I have just ordered another pair in red.

Lambzig Thu 27-Mar-14 15:29:48

I just sent mine back. I did like them but the frump factor on me was just too high. DH burst out laughing at them. DD looks effortlessly cool in hers though.

Saurus72 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:35:34

Just wanted to pop back to say thanks to all who recommended Saltwater sandals - my silver pair have arrived and i really like them. They feel great on - they are really flat, but the sole seems dense and rubbery, so should be good for holidays in hot weather.

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Mon 17-Mar-14 16:22:18

Just ordered these in red. Very excited!

sarahandmallard Fri 14-Mar-14 08:46:47

Saurus, I have a painful blister from a lovely pair of new shoes (lots of compliments on them but god, the pain of breaking them in! ) and have had to alternate between the seasalts and wellies last couple of days as those are the only shoes that I can walk in without limping in pain.

Saurus72 Thu 13-Mar-14 21:57:03

Have ordered silver. Am expecting to have rotten fruit thrown at me in the street when I wear them. I will stand strong. I will gain Bridget Jones- style inner poise and shrug off the haters wink

Shimmyshimmy Thu 13-Mar-14 21:49:32

Yes but the important thing is, what colour are you going to get saurus wink

Saurus72 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:33:05

Sarah yes! that was exactly what I was asking - the experiences of those who have worn them. It is quite amusing that people are getting so worked up about it all. Not sure if it will be of interest to anyone:

- in my every day life, I wear Whistles French 75 stilettos, Nine West ankle boots, flat riding boots, wedges in the summer (from a range of retailers) etc

- as a side note, my clothes are bought from Whistles (mini obsession), Hobbs, Jaeger for work, Banana Republic, Massimo Dutti and & Other Stories. Plus a little bit of Cos. I do not actively seek out 'granny chic'. Neither do I seek out polyester/acrylic horrors from Next/Zara/Primark.

- I am specifically seeking some comfy, non-blister causing shoes for Summer. Over the years, I have tried Birks, sandals with a small or wedge heel from a few different companies. All of them have shredded my feet when I wear them on holiday (we go on a lot of city breaks, and walk miles). I have Type 1 diabetes and have to be very careful to take care of my feet - I am not seeking amputations any time soon.

- for those times when I want to be able to walk a long way without my feet bleeding, and then having open sores for days on end (kind of ruining the rest of my holiday), I am looking for a comfy pair of sandals. I am going to try Saltwater and see how they work out.

If they are no good, my final remaining option I think will be some kind of trainers. I don't really want to do this, as I will need to wear socks, which is not ideal in 40 degree heat. I am merely trying to find an option that will allow me to do what I want on holiday, without having to think about my feet at all really - the holy grail!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am astounded that this thread has prompted so many comments from those eager to share their views wink

CMP69 Thu 13-Mar-14 20:24:17

marking place for when I'm on pc for pics on size 7 narrow bony feet cos that's me a-ttractive sad
I want these!

CuntyBunty Thu 13-Mar-14 20:17:56

grin @ <are these comments real>

There is an actual "anti Salt Water Sandals" thread too, with some good pointers towards a less institutionally, orthopaedic footwear look.

sarahandmallard Thu 13-Mar-14 19:47:10

I read the OP was asking people who actually wore them. Not "what do you think" of these. Could have misread. Not sure what "worked in fashion"
has to do with anything but if that's meant to suggest your aesthetic taste beats mine - ha.

aoife24 Thu 13-Mar-14 15:24:30

'Tasteful' and 'nice'?

The OP asked for her opinion on them and I gave mine, that is all. I agree that the colours are nice and they look comfy (if you don't need arch support), but overall I think they are very unattractive.

greathat Thu 13-Mar-14 14:25:15

I want them, but I'm a size 9 so not happening sad

Shimmyshimmy Thu 13-Mar-14 14:06:41

I'd like to see the clothes that the posters are wearing, when they critically assess other people's taste - maybe we'd be thinking fugly about a few of their choices too. grin

metoo22 Thu 13-Mar-14 13:54:51

MrsBirdie I have a bunion and they fit perfectly over it and disguise it too. But they are just too flat for me as I also have plantar fasciitis. Really upsetting, I couldn't wear them at all last year and it will be the same this year.

PrimalLass Thu 13-Mar-14 13:19:40

Silver I think. I have a thing about granny-chic metallic shoes grin

PrimalLass Thu 13-Mar-14 13:17:20

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. I think that - on nice feet with painted toenails - these look pretty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now