If you have dry, flaky hairline but NOT dandruff..what do you use

(24 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 22:59:42

If you get dry flakes but also greasy roots.. but the flakes are only on hair line... (mine is not back of head, but hairline of forehead and a bit on the sides) Quite big flakes at times
What do you use? If you know it's not dandruff
Nizoral, coal tar etc, head and shoulders.. body shop ginger.. no difference when I've used, even long term. Nor cider vinegar
I heard of bicarb of soda? Has anyone tried?
Lush's Skin Doctor relieves it for about 24 hours but it always goes flakey again
Same on eyebrows and sides of nose
Apart from that, skin is oily

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 27-Feb-14 23:03:43

I rub T gel around the hair line and leave it for ten mins then wash as normal.

Loreal anti dandruff intensive for men (yes seriously) will sort it out.

whereisshe Thu 27-Feb-14 23:04:09

I get this - I think it's when the water is very hard and I don't wash out my shampoo / conditioner really thoroughly - some sort of reaction to the residue. I've been using the A'Kin very gentle range lately when I wash my hair and that seems to be working as I haven't had it recently.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 27-Feb-14 23:05:01

Faith in Nature shampoo and conditioner.

wonderingteacher Thu 27-Feb-14 23:06:49

L'Oréal anti dandruff (in mens bottle now) was the only thing to work - I have the same problem.

IShouldBeDoingSomethingElse Thu 27-Feb-14 23:09:01

Ask your gp to prescribe Anti-seborrheic cream

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 23:12:42

will do, IShould.
Yes water very hard here
Would the L'Oreal work on non dandruff?
Have tried Faith In Nature, no luck, just about all health food ones in fact

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 23:13:03

T gel not work

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 23:13:37

i mean, the lush hair doctor works. but it's pricey and the effects don't last

EasilyDistracted77 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:14:54

I had a dry itchy scalp and I find E45 shampoo does the trick.

HappyHugs Thu 27-Feb-14 23:36:49

Ive had this forever and at last I am clear! Bought Naked shampoo in Boots. Took lot a of washes before I noticed a difference but honestly the change is amazing. Probably about 8 wks in total....worth a try!

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 23:52:36

can you get naked for different hair types?

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 27-Feb-14 23:53:12

have to be careful what i use, as i am as greasy as i am dry on hairline.. weighing hair down further is not good

maggiemight Fri 28-Feb-14 00:34:57

Bicarb is very alkaline, I rinsed my hair with it once to degrease it, and ended up with tangled straw.

I have flaky skin on my face, I was told once by a dermatologist that it was a form of dandruff on my face and needed antifungal shampoo like Nizoral. Though can't be bothered with that so just ignore it.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 28-Feb-14 01:02:49

hmmm..Nizoral definitely relieves the dry skin round my nose (only dry place.. I have tried this). Not lasting effect though

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 28-Feb-14 01:27:21

interestingly.... ten yrs ago I spent 6 months in Australia. after a few months the dry hair line and round nose had all but gone.. water was so soft.. sometimes it was rainwater

whereisshe Fri 28-Feb-14 07:05:21

The alkaline hardness of the water (limescale is calcium carbonate ie dissolved limestone which is alkaline) can upset the pH balance of your skin.

Which is why fungus can overgrow (it likes alkaline not acid) and cause skin issues. It's also why anything acidic helps counteract the problem (vinegar, etc).

Too much refined sugar in your diet can also cause issues (fungus likes sugar and it's also inflammatory).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 28-Feb-14 07:09:20

Be careful with Naked shampoo, it ruined my hair and took weeks to look normal again.

Skivvywoman Fri 28-Feb-14 07:23:30

Only thing that worked for me is head and shoulders itchy scalp

FrugalFashionista Fri 28-Feb-14 07:28:30

Eucerin 5% urea cream is great for flaking winter skin and light, easily absorbed and not greasy.
Have Nizoral too but prefer Eucerin.

Hard water is hard on hair and stops many soaps and shampoos from working properly. Rainwater, on the other hand is just fantastic...

whitecat Fri 28-Feb-14 08:07:21

What do you use to clean your face?
Does it go up into your hairline?
Your face cleansing can affect your hair. Alternatively your shampoo and conditioner can cause dry itchy patches on your face.
It can take a while for hair to settle down after switching to non SLS and silicone free but in the long run once you find something that suits you your skin and hair will feel so much better.

EarSlaps Fri 28-Feb-14 08:25:07

Try using a more gentle shampoo and really scrubbing the scalp with a denman shampoo brush. Also, a more gentle non foaming cleanser. You may be drying out the skin (hence the flakes) and making it produce more oil.

Since I switched to oil based cleansers I no longer get flaky skin on my face and my skin is less oily. I use very gentle SLS free shampoos and silicone free conditioners and my itchy scalp is so much better.

Puki2010 Fri 28-Feb-14 08:59:06

Philip Kingsley itchy flaky scalp or Philip B Anti-flake relief. Both expensive but worth it.

YouCanCallMeBetty Fri 28-Feb-14 11:39:11

That's interesting about the hard water - I've had a flaky itchy scalp for years, got a water softener and it cleared up almost overnight. Now I know when the salt's running low because the itch returns

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now