Need outfit for major conference presentation

(61 Posts)
googlenut Sat 22-Feb-14 16:57:58

First major conference presentation. Got a lovely dress out of coast but husband said it was too patterned - you noticed the dress before be. So I need something quite neutral but with a bit of style.
I'm 5ft 3, size 8. Usually need to go for petite sizes especially if tailored. Have had a look at next tailored stuff which looks good on website but then looks a bit cheap when you see it in the shop.
Anyone got any ideas?

googlenut Sat 22-Feb-14 16:58:38

Oh also has to be comfy! Have enough to worry about on the day.

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 17:02:52

Have you got a link to the Coast dress?

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 17:04:35

Personally I love LK Bennett shift-type dresses but I don't know if it's a popular view!

PrincessOfChina Sat 22-Feb-14 17:06:44

I think I'd go for a well cut shift dress, with maybe a contrast belt, good shoes and jewellery.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 22-Feb-14 17:21:18

I think you either need sleeves or a jacket over the dress to look properly, formal smart.

What's your budget and any shops you can / can't get to in particular?

AwkwardSquad Sat 22-Feb-14 17:40:56

I agree about sleeves / jacket, and YY to comfortable - and remember when trying on to walk about and use your arms as you would when presenting, to make sure the clothes stay in place. I'd also go for some colour but don't overdo it. Have you tried Hobbes?

AwkwardSquad Sat 22-Feb-14 17:43:07

Ps careful not to get something in which you may overheat when on stage. A jacket would hide any unfortunate nerves-related underarm sweating.

I saw a gorgeous dress in Cos today, but you'd have to try it on, as it might be too long. Maybe layered over a long sleeved top and with opaques and shoe boots? It's a million times nicer irl than the pic suggests - a sort of silver grey and v Victoria Beckham-esque. Looks v expensive. Here

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 18:32:23

yeeeeeeeah - Cos website always a but Prisoner Cellblock H innit

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 18:32:43

i would do a skirt and loose blouse

I always find separates easier than a dress tbh, but don't get on with blouses (norks).

MrsLettuce Sat 22-Feb-14 18:37:45

The cos dress certainly looks worth a try. Given the choice, I think a dress with sleeves wins hands down over a dress + jacket.

MrsLettuce Sat 22-Feb-14 18:38:49

yy, separates over a dress + jacket

This is M&S so could be abominable, but I've linked it because it's petite and quite a nice shape.

Bargain jacket here Not sure if it's a bit 'Harrogate ladies flower arranging club' though (this is what dp calls such things!).

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 18:41:35

i need stretch in any dress although rarely wear them as I look like Jessica Rabbit in them as am short waisted and norkily encumbered

plus thighs are thing so I often get gappy skirts

GretaWolfcastle Sat 22-Feb-14 18:42:31
Thurlow Sat 22-Feb-14 18:49:31

I would go for a good shift dress that you feel comfortable in around the waist, and then a nice jacket, but for the jacket I would go for something either Chanel style of with 3/4 length sleeves, something a little bit more interesting.

agree with the sleeves thing

jaeger ?

Jaegar generally v long though.

tis true remus but cheap to get altered

JeanSeberg Sat 22-Feb-14 19:38:57

That red jaeger dress is lovely Miss and affordable in the sale...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now