Does anyone know what tartan Katie Morag's skirt is??

(21 Posts)
littlejackhorner Thu 27-Feb-14 20:13:08

where did you get it from @mummyloveslucy? DD has decided she wants to be Katie Morag for World Book Day next week! Did you get a jumper too? My knitting skills aren't quite up to that... ;-)

Thanks everyone, just to let you know we've now ordered one. It's a mini kilt in Irish tartan. It's too big, but my mum will alter the waist.

Beamur- thank your DP for looking it up for me, that's really sweet of him. smile

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Feb-14 22:24:30

yy, it says in the sizing tab that their 10 = 68cm waist.

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Feb-14 22:23:42

Could be measured flat, thus 68 cm waist. about 26ins.

Trumpton Tue 11-Feb-14 22:19:16

That 2nd one looked brilliant! Thank you. It says waist 34cm. Do they mean inches? 34cm wouldn't fit anyone surely? I'll have to check first.

Trumpton Tue 11-Feb-14 22:15:37
Beamur Tue 11-Feb-14 22:13:43

Boden did have a tartan skirt in the winter, but nothing showing up on their website - I was hoping for a clearance bargain!

I will do. My daughter also has dark red hair and freckles, so she should look the part too. smile

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Feb-14 22:11:31
Beamur Tue 11-Feb-14 21:58:54

I needed to come up with a Book Day character outfit and this thread has reminded me of Katie Morag - DD also has flaming red hair and would make a perfect Katie! Let me know if you find a suitable skirt grin

Thank you both. That is pricey MrsLettuce! I'd probably need more than 1 meter too. She's an adult size 10 and 5 foot 1. She's only 9 by the way.

Belindaearl2 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:49:09

Afraid it's more Boden than tartan

Beamur Tue 11-Feb-14 21:42:13

I mentioned this to my DP who immediately fetched a Katie Morag book to try and track it down!
Katies island is actually based on Coll, which would (in theory) make it a Maclean tartan, but it doesn't look like on. DP also agreed with mummyloveslucy in that it looks more like an Irish tartan - more green & yellow in it. I'd have a Google of Irish tartans and see what you think.

MrsLettuce Tue 11-Feb-14 21:39:52

yy, tweed. Is not cheap though...

This is close, I think, but not right

Thank you. I never knew there was such a thing! grin

bunnymother Tue 11-Feb-14 21:16:13

Why don't you google the tartan register and search the register to see if you can find it? I love that there is even such a thing as a tartan register.

Marylou2 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:06:56

Can't help but remember designing our own tartan as part of DDs Katie Morag homework. Hope a lovely knowledge Scottish person comes along soon.

Thank you! That should help with my search. smile

member Tue 11-Feb-14 21:03:43

I'm an expat Scot & would say that as Struay is a fictionalised Hebridean Island, that you should be looking at Harris Tweed rather than tartan as it is exclusively woven in the Hebrides...

Sorry, that is the sum total of my contribution!

Hi, I'm making a Katie Morag outfit for my daughter and I'm trying to fins the right tartan for her skirt. I thought it looked like Irish tartan but I'm not sure.
Maybe some Scottish mummies will let me know. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now