Help!! Have booked beach holiday with two women 15 years younger than me!

(45 Posts)
janmoomoo Mon 10-Feb-14 12:12:12

I was really happy when I booked it but about two weeks later woke up in the night in a cold sweat. They are both beautiful and skinny, I am middle aged and a bit soft around the middle.

What can I do now to make sure I look my best. I have three months to transform myself into a beach goddess.

HelloBoys Sat 15-Feb-14 13:48:36

nature - actually I agree with you there - have good fats like you say and include avocados etc.

I suppose I mean reduce it. I've been sort of doing ok with the lighter (70% less) cheese from Pilgrims Choice.

naturelover Sat 15-Feb-14 10:18:06

Helloboys I disagree re cutting out fat.

Your body, brain and skin need good fats to be healthy: nuts, fish, olives etc. Yes reduce processed food and saturated or trans fats, but don't demonise the good fats!

RalphRecklessCardew Sat 15-Feb-14 09:09:14

Esther Williams swimming costume.

TartyMcTart Sat 15-Feb-14 09:07:24

Just seen this and had to add that I've seen results after a month of no booze (at all), 4-5 gym sessions a week and doing the 5:2 (but trying to aim for 4:3)

Sounds llike not much fun but when a woman at the gym came up to me and told me she thought I'd lost weight and was looking toned it definitely made it all worth it!

HelloBoys Fri 14-Feb-14 16:21:07

The shred is supposed to be good but:-

every day as a top up:- walk at least an hour so you're just out of breath.

cut out sugar and fat or reduce them. eg replace cake/biscuits with fruit.

reduce sizes in portions or reduce carbs (don't cut out completely).

PottedPlant Fri 14-Feb-14 15:24:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 11-Feb-14 20:47:45

DM still wears a bikini and she is in her 60s. Think it's great.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Tue 11-Feb-14 20:46:26

I think anyone over the age of 25 will be too busy stressing about their own figure to judge yours!

That said, I have had huge improvements in 2 weeks from cutting out alcohol and refined sugar, no carbs after 5pm and doing 50 crunches a day.

Spray tan and huge sunglasses help if you go for that sort of thing.

GeorginaWorsley Tue 11-Feb-14 20:42:24

Bikinis here too at 47.
One pieces squash my boobs too.

itsbetterthanabox Tue 11-Feb-14 20:37:52

It's a holiday. Relax!

splashingingumboots Tue 11-Feb-14 15:35:58

potted last section April last year. Will ask doc but embarrassed to say am doing callanetics ha ha. Def need it though, used to be so toned with it but now i am like a melting candle - noice smile

PottedPlant Tue 11-Feb-14 11:31:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Floisme Mon 10-Feb-14 18:36:04

Maybe I've never had a bikini that fitted me properly but I just can't be bothered with all that furtive tugging and pulling. With a one-piece I just put it on and that's it - job done. Plus I burn easily so unfortunately, I really don't want to feel the sun on my body. But I'm not suggesting there should be an age or size limit, oh no grin

princessalbert Mon 10-Feb-14 18:04:49

I am 45 and have both bikinis and one pieces.

The trick is to spend a little more than you might want - in order to get a well fitting, supportive top part. Cup sizes!

AnyFucker Mon 10-Feb-14 17:36:02

I wear bikinis too and I am nearer 50 than 40.

I don't find costumes at all flattering. There isn't enough support for the ole boobs and I am very long in the body so they usually cut me in two and drag my chest down further

Like above, I wear a size bigger in the bottoms and a bra type top

Creamycoolerwithcream Mon 10-Feb-14 17:19:10

I don't think one pieces are a no no but I'm a real bikini fan. I probably shouldn't be as not young or slim, I have cellulite and stretch marks but I just love the feel of the sun on my body and hate getting white bits. If I go on a weeks holiday I take a bikini for everyday in all different designs , some triangle, halter, straight across so I don't get tan marks. I always buy a size bigger than I am in bikinis so I don't get any digging in of material. Rather than sarong I like beach dresses that are strapless and just above the knee with nice blingy matching flip-flops. If I did want to try and look better as I said up thread I would ditch bread or even better still low carb.

Floisme Mon 10-Feb-14 16:57:54

Not 70 yet but much prefer one-pieces. There's way too much adjusting to be done with a bikini.

Alcohol, insouciance, a raised eyebrow.

And a sarong.

janmoomoo Mon 10-Feb-14 16:47:15

I have always been a fan of the one piece to hide the old tummy, but on a yoga holiday last year there was a lady who was a size 18 and had a fabulous range of bikinis from Bravissimo and she did look really great.

WholeNewProblem Mon 10-Feb-14 16:33:11

Well, the OP can wear a tee-shirt and shorts or a beach dress if necessary. Who gives a monkeys what everyone else does?

I am a European woman and if you saw me on the beach this summer it would have been wearing a one piece. If I was about to go into the rather chilly sea in the surfer's paradise we were staying, then it would have been in a lightweight wetsuit. And I had a great time!

BitOutOfPractice Mon 10-Feb-14 16:16:05

"they" do whole - you know, society! wink

Though I shall keep mine for the water slides!

Cristiane Mon 10-Feb-14 16:09:09

I think bikinis are way more flattering than a one piece.
Big, suck you in swimsuits are just weird and don't exude holiday fun, they look a bit like armour plating.
Confidence is a much better cover up than a sarong too.
I have never seen a single European woman wearing a swimsuit on the beach - it is all bikinis, it looks more relaxed.

WholeNewProblem Mon 10-Feb-14 15:59:04

Why on earth is it a 'no no' to wear a one-piece? Who says?

I think a nice one-piece is often more flattering than a bikini, especially if someone's stomach reflects a bit of the life they've lived.

janmoomoo Mon 10-Feb-14 15:57:34

Have been googling callenatics now. 80s flashback! People who like it really seem to love it.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 10-Feb-14 15:10:48

It seems that one piece swim suits are a no no for anyone under 70 sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now