Channel four documentary about discount stores selling luxury goods. Will you be watching?

(58 Posts)
Allthingsprettyreturns Sun 08-Dec-13 20:50:59

?

teta Sun 08-Dec-13 22:53:00

Yes,for sure.Tk Maxx is my favourite shop (but I'm expecting a hatchet job - because these types of programmes always are).

CambridgeBlue Sun 08-Dec-13 22:53:18

Saw a trailer for this so have set it to record - looks interesting!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 08-Dec-13 22:56:51

Yes! I love The Maxx and am keen to see the show.

Samwidge Sun 08-Dec-13 22:59:42

When is it on? Is there a link to more info please?

thenightsky Sun 08-Dec-13 23:00:39

#When and which channel?

Corygal Sun 08-Dec-13 23:02:50

Yes I love TK - will we be cruelly traumatised?

I'll be livid if it's all exploited workers and driving young designers to extinction - not that that would make it any different to the rest of the high street, but still.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Sun 08-Dec-13 23:37:31

I am expecting to be shocked. I'll still shop there though. I live the Gold Label stuff and the online Flash Sales can be great too.

WhoNickedMyName Sun 08-Dec-13 23:39:21

Channel 4, 8pm tomorrow night.

I'll be watching.

Samwidge Sun 08-Dec-13 23:43:26

Thank you

Allthingsprettyreturns Mon 09-Dec-13 07:17:27

As an avid TK Maxxer myself I will watch either tonight or on catchup.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 09-Dec-13 07:23:30

Can someone please explain the attraction. The one here is like a glorified jumble sale, and as for the toiletries - Urgh. All opened and half used. Tried twice and left in disgust.

Allthingsprettyreturns Mon 09-Dec-13 15:53:59

Good brands at good prices/ better quality than on the highstreet at ptices equivalent to the high street.

Finding the real bargains and lables you know are good being overlooked by everyone else.

What is not to love?

I read a comment on the DM story that an ex employee was contacted by Ch4 to do a hatchet job but she couldn't fault them or their practices!

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 09-Dec-13 17:54:33

They had a flash sale online this afternoon. I picked up over £1600 of Moschino for about £229. Praying it fits!

Floisme Mon 09-Dec-13 17:55:04

'Tried twice and left in disgust.' I'm afraid that's where you went wrong, Onesleep. You have to persevere with the Maxx to get the good stuff. I work close by so can get in at least once a week. I agree that, when it's bad, it's awful but, on a good day, there's nothing quite like it!

I've always assumed that the stuff is sub standard but I shall be gutted if they're up to anything dodgy.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 09-Dec-13 17:56:47

Also bought a great trench coat in store last week by InWear. £190 down to £23. Nothing wrong with it at all and am really pleased with it. I did have to rake through the clearance aisle but it was worth it.

squoosh Mon 09-Dec-13 17:57:32

This guy did a documentary on Poundland before, it was all a bit silly and he failed to deliver any big revelations. I expect this one to be the same, everyone knows much of TK Maxx's stock is seconds and that the RRP on the label isn't entirely accurate.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 09-Dec-13 17:59:14

This online sale this afternoon was insane. £800 Moschino Cheap and Chic coats for £99. Utter bargains to be had if you were in at the start.

sleepyhead Mon 09-Dec-13 18:00:57

Huge quantities of their stock are own-brands. They have literally hundreds of them.

I guess they make a lot from mixing them in with the name brands but I don't see anything wrong with that.

I love a good wander around Maxx. Will watch on catch up.

thenightsky Mon 09-Dec-13 18:14:57

How do you know when a flash sale is coming?

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 09-Dec-13 18:17:53

If you look on the website 'flash sale' is one of the categories listed on the bar across the top. Click on it it and you can see any live and future sales planned. There was a 'boots and bags' designer flash sale last Fruday. I grabbed a gorgeous pair of chloe leaher boots. Am totally spent up now....

Floisme Mon 09-Dec-13 18:18:12

Nightsky if you register with them they will email you about flash sales although they overdo them a bit, in my opinion. I must hear from them at least twice a week.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 09-Dec-13 18:22:38

Another tip is that the flash sales sometimes start a good ten mins earlier than advertised so you can be in and out quickly. Today's sake started late (about 20 to 30 mins) and the best stuff sold out in minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now