The Crepe Papers

(1000 Posts)
motherinferior Sat 05-Oct-13 18:40:14

Did it!

Stropperella Mon 14-Oct-13 09:24:07

Crem, get a dog. And a shotgun. grin
(I have the former, but not the latter)
When I was a teen and living far out in the country, I had a terrier not dissimilar to the one I have now and almost every morning he used to ask to be let out at 5.30 or 6 to go and chase the fox out of the garden (we had a big garden and no near neighbours), but when they both got old they weirdly made friends. The dog still used to ask to be let out early in the morning, but if you looked into the garden you would see them both sitting side by side on the lawn. And when the fox died, the dog found his body in the wood and lay down beside it and wouldn't come home for hours. True Story.

I have dodgy knees and a squiffy hip and lower back issues, so you won't ever catch me taking up running but I do walk briskly for around 40 mins each day with the dog and occasionally power walk up hills. Aside from that, my circuits class twice a week is all that I do. During the summer there is usually a certain amount of running incorporated into the circuits class, but it's on a field which doesn't jar all my ricketty bits.

The Lakeland heated airer is most excellent. I use it in our bedroom, so it is out of the way and no one falls over it.

CV, sounds like the wedding was lovely. I can categorically state that I will never be taking my dcs to Alton Towers or anywhere like it. I feel sick just looking at rollercoasters and will never go on one. Dd went to Eurodisney last year with a friend and they went on all sorts, so I don't think she has ended up deprived of excitement due to my weediness.

originalpiratematerial Mon 14-Oct-13 11:45:43

Stropperella, what a fab story about the dog and the fox!

I have a severely autistic DS3 who is still prone to weeing in the garden - so we never see an urban fox around our place. I reckon my DS3 is like the vulpine equivalent of The Gruffalo - parent foxes tell their baby foxes to beware the monster at No. 56! Previously they used to be very bold, they would lie sunning themselves on the path and one practically had to step over them to hang out the washing.

MI speaks the truth about the cost of running gear. I actually find buying it weirdly addictive and am on first-name terms with all the staff in my nearest Runnersneed. I do also pick up cheapo bits in Sports Direct.

Cremolafoam Mon 14-Oct-13 12:15:07

Stropps that story is incredible. Just wonderful.
Well The Farmer has knocked the door this morning with his shotgun slung around his neck. He came to see if we'd seen the Fantastic Mr fox and so we have granted him unlimited access to our garden. He is sweating about his own sheep not surprisingly.. Much swearing about the other neighbours decorative pet goats which The Farmer referred to as Fox-Bait.winkconfused
It's like the Archers FGS .......
On the upside he did bring us a massive box of garden produce- curly kale anyone?
Going to disable the cat flap now so kitties are contained during the possible massacre.

Blackduck Mon 14-Oct-13 13:20:56

Stropps that is an amazing story! In London where my mum lives the foxes walk up the road in broad day light! Where I am they are more shy and you don't tend to see them, but the ripped bin bags are a sure sign they are around.

I have parents evening tomorrow - oh joy. And need to do the school stuff!

rubyrubyruby Mon 14-Oct-13 15:21:10

Amazing story Strops

I have a fox and running story! Was out jogging along a rural footpath once and heard my dog hurtling up behind me, except - it wasn't the dog it was a fox! closely followed by he dog

Sounds like a great weekend CV :-)

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Oct-13 17:01:22

lalsy, it is that one. I fear we are going to have to take it back - to a store as the packaging is f'd (put out in rain)angry

Stropps, what a luverly story about the fox and hound. And Cremo, about the farmer and fantastic Mr Fox!

DS and I spotted a teeny mouse the other night, so he sat with a baseball bat ready to batter it, but I think it must have seen it... I then bought some sticky glue traps and put one under the sofa... This morning DD stood on it in her fluffy socks grin Luckily there was no mouse on it, but she was not amused!

originalpiratematerial Mon 14-Oct-13 19:48:42

Double crepey day.

For the second time in as many weeks, I was offered a seat on public transport by a young man. I was very tempted to snarl, my Cooper is 2.02 km, lardass, what's yours, but I just smiled sweetly and declined the offer.

AND - I have an upper eye wrinkle. Obviously I have loads of wrinkles below my eyes, but now I have one exactly halfway between my eyebrow and my eyelid. FFS.

lalsy Mon 14-Oct-13 19:52:19

BTM, Oh no! We have it in our bedroom where it emits lovely gentle warm glow (especially when I have turned heating off for everyone else...), it is also excellent for hanging things off and putting piles of crap on top of. Sold?

Loving the fox stories.

originalpiratematerial Mon 14-Oct-13 19:54:21

Oh BTM that's such a shame! I got one a week ago and we are all in love with it. It warms the kitchen up a treat as well.

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Oct-13 20:24:01

DH is dead against it. And since his job is to hang the washing out, he won't use it. I will have to brave the crowds and carry it back to a shop under my arm as the packaging got trashed in the rainangry

Meanwhile DS's new footy boots (well he has probably played/trained in them about 30 times so far) have split. Because they are cheap versions. Yes, DH I am glaring at you as well as DS.

Blackduck Mon 14-Oct-13 20:26:40

Is numeral (written word, Roman numeral)? Going to become a crepey thing ;)

My boss is seriously contemplating leaving - will let me know this week. At least I have about 5 months before he actually buggers off sad. (I shouldn't moan having applied for another job myself at the weekend - although I am unlikely to get it)

This week do late every night so doing parents evening on my own, dealing with house etc. oh but Michelin starred meal on Friday smile

bigTillyMint Mon 14-Oct-13 20:39:09

BD, fingers crossed for you. And Michelin starred meal sounds fabenvy

motherinferior Mon 14-Oct-13 21:49:10

I actually can get on with some paid work tomorrow. Thank heavens.

Stropperella Mon 14-Oct-13 21:58:27

BTM, that's a real shame about the Lakeland airer - I use mine all the time and wouldn't be without it. It just folds up and slides behind a chest of drawers in the bedroom when not in use. It's fab.

BD, good luck with the job app.

Pirate, if you only have the one wrinkle above your eyes you're doing well. I have, er, somewhat more than one. But I have got so many wrinkles that have appeared en masse over the last year or so that I have simply stopped noticing them individually. I continue to be depressed about my neck, especially as I have noted that if I wear polo necks to cover the tortoise neck somehow this makes my jowls look distinctly flappier. I just need taking in all over <sigh>

Looking decrepit is slightly more on my mind than usual tonight as I have just committed more or less to going to a reunion of my year group at the school where I did my O Levels. There will therefore be many people that I have not seen since I was 16. It was a small school with just one class of 30 per year, so we all knew each other quite well, but I've only vaguely kept in touch with 2 or 3 people. I have just exchanged an email with someone I haven't seen for 32 years, reminiscing about the time we locked the music teacher in a cupboard and left him there all lesson. blush I suppose it is no wonder I found the incredibly strict boarding school I went to in the 6th form a bit oppressive. grin

alto1 Tue 15-Oct-13 00:16:33

Left my music on the train tonight - went back to the station when I realised and was lucky enough to find it still in Lost Property grin and make it to rehearsal in good time grin grin

Got silly week with big deadline, bigger regional meeting, extra rehearsal on Dd's birthday sad and all-day job interview, then concert. Dd willing to give me dispensation for rehearsal (she's heard me practising, so knows how much I need it) so I look forward to making it up to her on Fri.

She chose beautiful clothes when I took her present-shopping. When I think what I must have looked like at her age, I can hardly believe we're related.

hattymattie Tue 15-Oct-13 06:39:41

Gosh Stropps - I sort of love and hate the idea of a school reunion - morbid curiosity coupled with I don't want them to see how much I've aged.

Went to see Blue Jasmine yesterday - can definitely recommend. Cate Blanchett was brilliant.

No foxes here - just rats, which have been very low profile since we burnt the woodpile. <Wonders if foxes eat rats>

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Oct-13 07:06:34

Hatty, I don't have to go to a school reunion - FB allows you to see what at least some are doing now and how we have aged. And I am still in touch with a few of my close friends. TBH, there are only 2 girls that I would love to see that I have completely lost contact with - we were very close friends through 6th form to a few years into working.

Alto, I feel like that about my DD - aside from the fact that I had to wear homemade/mum-bought monstrosities till I was about 16 - she is soooo much prettier, fab figure, sportier (wouldn't be hard!) etc, etc than I was that I can barely believe we are related! And good luck with your interview!

hattymattie Tue 15-Oct-13 07:49:05

BTM - My school friends have all scattered and changed names. I still see a couple when I go home but the rest I have no clue.

On the subject of DD's - I think mine are the beautiful classy girls I would have liked to be. Alto I know exactly how you feel. I love the Mad Men style make up they seem to do now (more grunge and punk when I was Young).

Oh - just noticed the time - I'm colouring hair and I should be rincing now not doing MN <runs for shower>

addle Tue 15-Oct-13 08:02:13

mi and original pirate - do you really need 'stuff' for running? when i did just a bit i was just in old trainers - is that a v big mistake? never did run v far, just a mile a few times a week

and i feel same about my dd - seems to be mysteriously good at accessories - a gene that completely bypassed me - i get tangled in bags and scarves

lovely fox story. currently have sweet looking small female cat stalking my grumpy female cat who shat in the hallway ovrnight because of stress. could do with fox (but then would presumably need something to get rid of fox)

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Oct-13 08:06:39

addle, I was just thinking about how your DD is doing at uni - hope it's going OK!

DD currently has a wearing boy's sweatshirts/jumpers thing going on - she left with DS's huge Adidas jumper on this morning[conufused]

lalsy Tue 15-Oct-13 08:31:30

I too have paid work today and a lead from 6 months ago contacted me out of the blue yesterday - so hard as a freelance to know what is round the corner....

We had rats once - my rat man said you had to be very careful not to let them feel cornered confused. I have two under fours at the time, so quite often felt cornered myself, never mind the rats.

originalpiratematerial Tue 15-Oct-13 12:11:11

When I started I had reasonably good trainers, and a running top to keep boobs sort of under control. And I just used to wear an ordinary tee-shirt and ancient walking trousers. However, I had to get some proper running shoes before long as my shins hurt, and they really did help. And once I started exercising more often I had to buy more kit as I couldn't get stuff washed and dry again in time. And when I started running longer distances, I had to get stuff in technical fabric because otherwise I got very chilled running in sweaty clothes that stayed wet next to the skin. And I got too hot running in trousers of any kind so had to get proper running tights. And then it got really cold and snowy so I had to get a thermal running shirt. And gloves. And thermal running tights. And I was running at dusk or in the dark quite a bit, so I had to get some fluorescent stuff. And so on, and so on, and so on confused

bigTillyMint Tue 15-Oct-13 13:18:57

Gym looks cheap in comparisongrin

Circuits tonight, gulp!

herbaceous Tue 15-Oct-13 13:41:16

I walked briskly to and from school, the way back 'legs only' as I was carrying dry cleaning. Does that count?

I am now the (proud-ish) owner of a jowl-length bob. Think I like it. Think it avoids frumpdom.

Vaguely contemplating swing dance. I've always fancied it, and whenever I see footage it makes me smile, and the idea of actually being able to do it makes me smile even more. But the harsh reality will probably be stumbling around incompetently for five years before even doing anything half decent. And then always having to be the man.

rubyrubyruby Tue 15-Oct-13 13:47:17

What's 'swing' dance?
Is it anything to do with swingers? hmm

grin at jowel length herbs.

The gym 100metres up the road makes me feel like I ought to go - fortunately I usually exit the village in a different direction.

This thread is not accepting new messages.