Nivea trumps Creme de la mer!

(79 Posts)
SundaySimmons Thu 12-Sep-13 08:30:09

Ok, this is just one persons experience

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2418153/Claire-used-1-Nivea-cream-half-face--105-Cr-la-Mer-The-results-VERY-revealing.html

I have used creme de la mer. Didnt repurchase as I didn't notice any difference. I was gifted two La Prairie creams which cost hundreds, they didnt do anything either.

I am pushing 50, over the years I haven't found any difference between a cheap or expensive moisturiser. I do like to try new ones and like a moisturiser that feels nice to use.

Not used Nivea for years but remember buying Ponds in my twenties and daubing it on in a thick layer for fifteen minutes before I applied make up and went out and my skin was perfect.

May have to try Nivea again.

tobiasfunke Fri 13-Sep-13 09:58:39

I use that nivea blue lard stuff at night. It is really good as my skin got really dry after I hit 40.
I'm not sure it would've been great in my 20's when I was more oily.

Vibbe Fri 13-Sep-13 10:35:50

My granny always used the blue nivea cream. Because of that, she always had a slightly sticky face. But not as many wrinkles as the other 90-year olds in the area.

I don't rate creme de la mer much - having read this from Paula Begoun, I don't really see why it would have to be so expensive: www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-skin-care-reviews/by-brand/la-mer/_/Creme-De-La-Mer

plentyofsoap Fri 13-Sep-13 10:49:49

I spend alot on products and make up, but I swear by Nivea in the blue pot.

Mintyy Fri 13-Sep-13 10:55:05

Nivea Soft is nicer than the really thick stuff in the blue pot. But there is no spf in it, so you have to mix some of that in as you go. I find being on the fat side helps enormously in the quest to remain wrinkle-free grin.

JustBecauseICan Fri 13-Sep-13 11:18:06

Astral in the slightly lighter blue pot is not as thick and gloopy as blue nivea but does the same job for the same price.

I've used it on my neck and on my face every few days for yeeeears.

Flo56 Fri 13-Sep-13 12:40:32

I'm 57 with skin that's in pretty good condition and I agree with what Eliza said up-thread. Moisturize, yes and use a sunscreen but I really don't think it makes any difference how much you spend on a product - aren't they all mostly oil and water anyway? I would say that giving up smoking and sunbathing are far more effective than a tiny pot of slap with a stupid name.
Also, wrinkles aren't the only sign of ageing. Personally, I think the way my face is beginning to droop and sag is far worse than a few lines grin

bunnymother Fri 13-Sep-13 13:29:42

I second the recommendation for Jurlique. Sublime, luxe products. I used to buy them when I lived in Australia and loved them. It might be time to revisit them.

I keep Nivea blue pots around the place, but find it a but sticky for it to be a favourite above others. It's just heap enough to keep on the pram etc in case you need some cream for hands, legs etc and forgot to apply at home.

madmomma Fri 13-Sep-13 14:05:35

Eliza you look fab but imho it's because you have good sharon stone-type bone structure that makes you age well. No amount of skincare would stop baggy cheeks on someone with low cheekbones like me

squoosh Fri 13-Sep-13 14:09:39

Yes, you look fantastic Eliza!

I think the way your skin turns out is 50% genetic, 40% lifestyle and 10% potions and lotions. I'll always love my potions and lotions though.

SirChenjin Fri 13-Sep-13 14:15:08

I use Nivea (or Astral) at night, and Aldi day cream with spf15 (I think it's 15 anyway, can't be bothered to check) and my skin looks very good for someone in their mid forties - even if I do say so myself grin.

I'd second Eliza - not smoking and using a high SPF in the sun will do your skin more good than any CdlM cream (I also drink very little alcohol and make sure I exercise through the week, maybe that helps too?)

peachypips Fri 13-Sep-13 14:17:27

Mintyy - they say that at some point in your life you have to choose between your arse and your face- I choose face!

Eliza22 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:53:23

I think it IS mostly down to genes, say 60%. After that, it's sun protection, not smoking, some exercise and some goose fat (moisturiser of your choice). Laura Mercier Oil Free Tinted Moisturiser helps too wink And bone structure? I always had a really round face but as I've gotten older, it's lengthened to reveal cheek bones. My chin'll be round my naval in ten years time!

I've bought me some Nivea today though (baaa baaaaa)

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 13-Sep-13 19:50:11

Dr Sam Bunting (who's a proper dermatologist) said she caved and bought a pot of creme de la mer when it first came out, and that it made absolutely no difference whatsoever to her skin. It's just a moisturiser and all moisturisers do roughly the same job, ie forming a barrier on the skin to seal in moisture.

The only thing that really works on a cellular level and makes any significant difference to the appearance of skin is retinoic acid. And to be able to buy it at sufficient levels to really make a difference, you need a prescription. Which just goes to show, if something really works it gets made into a pharmaceutical!

Having said that, you can buy products with up to 2% retinol in them over the counter. Retinol is not the same as retinoic acid, but once on the skin, it goes through some metabolic stages and some is converted into retinoic acid. What retinoic acid does is speed up cell turnover and encourage collagen production, quite literally making skin look and act younger. It was originally used as a treatment for acne, but then doctors noticed that with long term use it was also eliminating fine lines and minimising wrinkles in the patients they prescribed it to.

Mega expensive moisturisers are a total rip off. Moisturiser is moisturiser is moisturiser. If you want to see a real difference in your skin you need to be applying real active ingredients.

NigellasGuest Fri 13-Sep-13 19:55:16

I agree Fuckit- I use moisturiser purely to seal in the stuff I've put on earlier. Although that earlier stuff is probably a rip off!

I do use Retin-A however. On nights when I use that, I don't moisturise anyway.

Eliza22 Sat 14-Sep-13 09:25:25

Dr Haushka says dont moisturise at night. Allow your skin to correct itself. Slapping on rich moisturisers delays this process leading to blocked pores, excess oil etc. I guess it makes sense (?) but I'm not sure what you do if you have very dry, parchment skin.

It's all hocus pocus, I think! I do know that I had too much wine last night and look every one of my 50+ years this morning. I regret nothing

HessianWeave Sat 14-Sep-13 09:55:03

I thought I'd posted on this thread yesterday but apparently not!

I'm early 50's.
My favourite moisturiser is Astral. I use it around my eyes too sometimes, especially when travelling as it saves me taking two pots of stuff.
I tried CdlM 10 years ago and it did nothing.
Over the last decade I've gradually used cheaper products, working my way 'down' to Astral.
If they stop making Astral I'll go back to Neal's Yard Frankincense, but will grit my teeth forking out £25 a pot for it.

I'm now saving my money for retin-a/retinoids, looking for good glycolic acid product, and botox or fillers. Because I think they are the only products that work to help with anti ageing.

MangoTiramisu Sat 14-Sep-13 10:03:31

I am defo trying Astral and Nivea, although don't live in the UK so don't know if I can get Astral here. When I read some of the views here I think, oh maybe they just don't like spending money on good stuff. Then I see that you do spend money on other things, it's just that you have tried and tested and found these better. Thank you all you fabulous ladies. It's so easy to be sucked into expensive is better. I'd like to see the scales fall from our eyes over all of this nonsense and make these beauty companies pay for their manipulation of us women.

HessianWeave Sat 14-Sep-13 10:14:24

Mango, it was a lifestyle change (divorce) that initially forced me to cut down way back on my spending on toiletries/cosmetics. I used to use high end everything, and was known by my first name in Space NK in the Trafford Centre grin
I really have found cheaper substitutes for almost everything I use and they are equal to - if not better than - the expensive products.

Creme de la Mer used to make a fabulous cream foundation in a pot. It was £65 back in 2006. Even during the time I was skint, I still found a way to buy it because nothing equalled it. Then it was discontinued. I've never found anything as good as that so would still be using it if I could.
I still use Hypnose mascara because for me nothing comes close.
So I don't mind spending the money if it's justified. grin

Fairylea Sat 14-Sep-13 10:17:25

I spent ten years working in the beauty industry. 7 years for clinique and 3 years for chanel.

You wouldn't believe the amount of people who work in these companies, who get 65% discount (I did when I worked for them) and STILL opt to use nivea and astral creams. Including me. And max factor make up, especially mascara.

Some things are just really, really good.

But honestly, high spf, lots of water and removing all make up carefully at night is probably the best anyone can do for their skin.

JustBecauseICan Sat 14-Sep-13 10:26:28

Hessian- you can get NY Frankincense for about £16 on ebay.

I agree that NYF does work. I think a lot of lotions and potions work temporarily, which is fine.....temporarily. I had a pot of L'Occitane Divine Cream (£69 and won the anti-aging bible award) which was fabulous for a week or so, but I can honestly say after finishing the pot, no real difference.

I do the glycolic acid peel thingy (30%) not religiously, but every couple of weeks, and I do notice a difference to the surface of the skin (again, cheap as chips from a seller on ebay) Also using a hyaluronic acid serum at night which is nice (and ebay cheap) and Protect and Perfect serum in the morning. None of which cost much compared to the over-packaged, over-advertised stuff.

Still, remember that in a blind test the Aldi £3.99 serum came out better than 2,000 others!

Fairylea- can you confirm or deny then that Bourjois is Chanel without the fancy boxes and ads? grin MN rumour has had is is so for years!

Eliza! Hello! It's me! NotTreadingGrapes from the aging thread!

Something else I am currently in love with- all over again and not just because of the nostalgic smell which takes me back to 1987- Body Shop Vitamin E cream, but the intense version now. T'is lovely.

MangoTiramisu Sat 14-Sep-13 11:46:14

Just Because, I just bought BodyShop Vit E cream again after a few years. I've just suddenly noticed that my skin has gotten really dry after being oily all these years. I'm nearly 44 so perhaps it is all catching up on me. I bought the Vit E after the lady on the Estee counter was trying to get me to buy a night cream to go on top of Advanced Repair Night Serum that I forked out for. I thought enough is enough and went to Body Shop.
I am learning so much here. So I need to use my expensive stuff underneath then put the Nivea or Astral on top.
I am a bit of a Chanel fan though. I get very excited at a new Chanel nail colour and the black and gold seems to hypnotise me into parting with my money.

Flo56 Sat 14-Sep-13 12:38:59

I think one of the best anti-ageing tricks is a good hair cut. Now that, in my opinon, is worth spending money on! Also stop wearing black ladies - it puts years on most of you.

JustBecauseICan Sat 14-Sep-13 12:44:06

Mango- well MN rumour has it, Bourjois is the same as Chanel!

(I have yet to find a fake n 19 that matches up though! Although I have found a fake YSL Rive Gauche) (I do like my retro 80s stuff grin)

Fairylea Sat 14-Sep-13 13:11:48

Bourjois does indeed make chanel make up.

Both brands do the double bake eyeshadow technology....meaning if you ever drop it they are unlikely to break.

Some of the colours are identical. Some are created especially for each brand.

Estee lauder has a huge monopoly over the industry. They may not own chanel but they own many, many of the premium brands including mac, Bobbi brown, clinique and others. Well worth a Wiki smile

JustBecauseICan Sat 14-Sep-13 13:16:56

I bought some Bourjois rouge edition lipsticks over the summer, and they were certainly as good as any high end ones I've had, and I am a total convert to Health Mix.

I used Bourjois makeup way back when (along with the Body Shop stuff) I used to love something called Blanc de Base which they don't do anymore, but am guessing was a primer/face base way before its time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now