What is this all about???? Just what???

(43 Posts)
SecretJewel Tue 10-Sep-13 16:43:34

Okay, so fashion icon I am not.

BUT, but, but, but. What is all this pencil skirt and ankle boot thing all about?

Like this and this

It's absolutely bloody ridiculous.

I am astonished that people are going for this. I've seen colleagues going round like this in the office.

A less flattering combination of items is hard to imagine. Even on gorgeous and perfect models it just looks silly.

Has anybody got anything good at all to say about this ghastliness?

SundaySimmons Tue 10-Sep-13 22:20:25

Happyaeyeam has summed the look up perfectly! Brilliant!

Marcheline Tue 10-Sep-13 21:47:58

This look has been around for years, hasn't it? I used to wear a pair of French connection ankle boots that sort of turned down at the ankle and had v high heels, with pencil skirts for work - probably about 6 years ago.

I like it, but you need the right hoots and the skirt needs to be fitted.

That Zara look is bloody awful. If only the boots had a heel and they'd put a belt around her waist, she'd have looked a million times better.

HappyAsEyeAm Tue 10-Sep-13 21:43:46

I agree. The woman in the second link looks like she is going outside to peg out the washing, and has just put on whatever shoes are next to the back door so that she can go out into the back garden.

noddyholder Tue 10-Sep-13 21:36:10

I like it Its been around a couple of years

Chewbecca Tue 10-Sep-13 21:33:46

Zara model doesn't actually look best pleased

I wore an A-line mini skirt with flat boots last week, and a tunic dress with the same boots yesterday.

I think it can look good, but it depends on the proportions of your body.

notyummy Tue 10-Sep-13 20:45:46

Same as a few others- I like the first and have worn something similar. Second - not so keen.

SecretJewel Tue 10-Sep-13 20:45:40

Ha ha

Cross posts cat!!!

You're on my wavelength!

SecretJewel Tue 10-Sep-13 20:44:32

re: the Zara situation, imagine you turned up for a modelling job and they put you in that???? grin

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 10-Sep-13 20:42:51

*paid. Ffs.

CatAmongThePigeons Tue 10-Sep-13 20:42:29

I wear a black midi with plain tights and heeled black ankle boots. My bottom half does look frumpy so I gave up. I need different tights to black clueless and unfashionable

That second link is vile, I wonder how much they paod the model to wear that

amessagetoyouYoni Tue 10-Sep-13 20:41:36

I have seen very young, very slim, very quirky fashion-student type gazelles oull off this look around and about London. Other than that...its not a look anyone else should attempt <gavel>

The Zara woman looks as if she's wearing her dad's size 11 shoes.

SecretJewel Tue 10-Sep-13 20:35:39

Okay, so yes the Zara one is the height of hideousness.

I can see that with tights and nicer boots, the look is slightly less ridiculous, but still not actually nice surely?

Fairyliz Tue 10-Sep-13 20:27:03

I wore something like the first one last year and thought I looked quite foxy for an old girl
(Hope noone was laughing at me)

FrancesFarmer Tue 10-Sep-13 18:42:10

I wear the Zara look regularly, albeit with a short skirt which makes it less frumpy. I like wearing pencil skirts but my feet can't take court shoes. I like to think I look rather cool in a Chloe Sevigny-ish sort of way!

JohnSnowsTie Tue 10-Sep-13 18:39:00

I was going to say it's a combo which requires tights.

But last time I saw that Zara look was in some bloke's cellar in a film called "Psycho"...

<will be offended if this post doesn't appear three times>

I like the first one and wear that sort of thing a lot, but with tights not bare legs.

reggiebean Tue 10-Sep-13 17:45:37

The Zara one is terrible, but quite like the first one.

BalloonSlayer Tue 10-Sep-13 17:39:39

It reminds me of when my Mum used to wear my Granny's old boots to work in the snow. They had zips up the front.

SecretJewel Tue 10-Sep-13 17:37:27

And to think, somebody was paid money to put that together.

PrincessRomy Tue 10-Sep-13 17:32:44

We are all agreed we're not keen on the Zara look.

woozlebear Tue 10-Sep-13 17:27:45

I'm DEFINITELY not a fashion icon, but I quite like the first look. Second one is bluerrrrrgh though.

LeGavrOrf Tue 10-Sep-13 17:24:57

What is wrong with you two? grin

PrincessRomy Tue 10-Sep-13 17:22:44

Glad I'm not the only one cointreau

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now