What do you think of this dress for stylish 50 th

(113 Posts)
FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 17:30:00

What do you stylish mumsnetters think of this dress for stylish 50th in September

How would you style it. It's being held in a gorgeous Michelin starred restaurant. I'm not used to mixing in the circles. Have though f... It, lets go, but don't want to embarrass myself.

I'm closer to a 14 but will on a strict diet for 3 weeks. Had just started running so should be back to a 12. Still breastfeeding so big boobs.

Hair is light auburn and pale/freckled skin.

Thought something like this jacket
http://m.coast-stores.com/gabi-jacket/jackets-and-coats/coast/fcp-product/2111168780

Or this
http://m.coast-stores.com/kimora-jacket/jackets-and-coats/coast/fcp-product/2111168980

But not sure.

The jackets are nice, I think you forgot to link to the dress

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 17:32:13

What do you stylish mumsnetters think of this dress for stylish 50th in September

www.theoutnet.com/product/353481

How would you style it. It's being held in a gorgeous Michelin starred restaurant. I'm not used to mixing in the circles. Have though f... It, lets go, but don't want to embarrass myself.

I'm closer to a 14 but will on a strict diet for 3 weeks. Had just started running so should be back to a 12. Still breastfeeding so big boobs.

Hair is light auburn and pale/freckled skin.

Thought something like this jacket
m.coast-stores.com/gabi-jacket/jackets-and-coats/coast/fcp-product/2111168780

Or this
m.coast-stores.com/kimora-jacket/jackets-and-coats/coast/fcp-product/2111168980

But not sure.

The dress is lovely and an absolute bargain. I don't think I'd put it with a dark jacket though.

Remember a UK size 14 is a US 10.

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 17:49:20

I've just started running and will dust down 30 day shred so will fit. 12 just a bit tight at the moment. Dress ordered so big incentive (hang it on fridge grin. Is it appropriate do you think for party. How should I style it ?

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 27-Aug-13 17:57:37

dress too weddingy for a restaurant

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 18:13:51

Lady Milford - I was afraid of that but it's his restaurant and guess that some of his a list clientele might be there. It's not my usual circles (can you guess !). What about with tan wedges etc would that tone it down ?

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 18:22:55

The dress is wonderful. I actually think any type of short "office-y" jacket will take away from the insouciance of the silk and the print. And you really don't want black - it will look as if you're apologizing for brightness.

Ideally (and no-one likes my styling ideas except me...) you want something bohemian, luxurious and casual - something that says "this is how I always dress...." Ideally a long, long tan suede sleeveless waistcoat that drapes elegantly. I don't know where you would find such a thing. Or something in a gentle leather. And flat sandals (not ballet flats!) And very low key jewellery - rodeo silver and turquoise. Don't try to look "dressed up."

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 18:29:05

Something yesterday - I'm guessing trying to fit in with 'just back from my yacht in France type of thing. Turquoise sounds good. I might need heels as dress is v long. Might look for wedges ?

lurkingaround Tue 27-Aug-13 18:29:37

Do you really need a jacket? Don't wear one of your links, they're not right. (Nice tho). Cross your fingers and hope for a balmy September evening? Nice bag?

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 18:38:05

Might need something - is pashmina type thing out ? Orange or aqua ?

Have fabulous grey beaded chiffon jacket but hip length.

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 18:38:09

Was thinking more "long prairie evenings with a Jack Daniels and a stetson..." smile

You did really well with the dress. Every time I look on the Outnet site DvF is full of tired jersey wrap dresses. Yours is mega! really louche and elegant in a not trying too hard way. envy

Tan wedges would be perfect.

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 18:40:50

No! to pashmina.

No! No! to beaded chiffon. Dress it down

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 18:44:48

Yes, something yesterday. What about denim ?

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 18:49:37

r.ebay.com/LxTTl3

Would this work only problems are size and price !

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 18:57:32

Too short and bulky. You want a long layered look. Think Rick Owens on a ranch. (Not actually him - the sort of thing he might send down the catwalk...)

macskater Tue 27-Aug-13 19:06:25

Dress is beautiful, you will feel and look good in that. I definitely would not wear any of these jackets with it. What about a cashmere shrug or a wrappy type thing?

LadyBigtoes Tue 27-Aug-13 19:11:55

Ooh I like your taste, the dress is fab, and the jackets are great too - but as others say, not with the dress. I agree it needs something longline and not black. I would go for something like a cashmere cardigan or wrap in a neutral cream or taupey colour.

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 19:17:38

Must google rick Owens. Thanks everyone for your help. Feeling like Cinderella with lots of fairy godmothers (with different opinions grin

Off for a walk (trying to feel inspired to run !!!).

Have this nice turquoise necklace (languishing in jewellry box too)

FreyaKItty Tue 27-Aug-13 21:41:27

Back from walk - trying to channel my inner stylist.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 27-Aug-13 22:18:45

No to the dress. It's just not right. You'll look like someone dressing up for a wedding not a posh restaurant.
Do people really dress up that much for Michelin ? I never did.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 27-Aug-13 22:19:10

And Christ not a suede waistcoat.

LadyMilfordHaven Tue 27-Aug-13 22:20:58

If you need a cardigan or jacket don't buy it. But a proper dress with sleeves.

Or some trousers or something

Somethingyesterday Tue 27-Aug-13 22:33:27

LadyM Are you saying that every single person who eats at a highly regarded restaurant must wear exactly what you would wear?

The OP has bought this particular dress (which several posters have admired...) and wants views on how she might wear it.

I've held and attended comparable parties and dinners at restaurants all over the world and I would not think her dress out of place at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now