What are your S&B must-haves?

(40 Posts)
PAsSweetOrangeLurve Sun 25-Aug-13 14:33:10

I'm fishing through S&B at the moment and there are lots of recommendations about all sorts of things. What I'm most curious about is what are the absolute go-to must haves? What are your staple make-up and clothing items/brands.

Am toying with a bit of a reinvention - have managed to lose just shy of 3 stone. I have another 2 to go but want to start putting aside some cash for the Xmas sales when I'm hoping to pick up some bargains. If you had £500 (I can't spare more than that!), how would you spend it?

Cremolafoam Sun 25-Aug-13 14:44:00

Best fitting black trousers you can afford
Leather jacket
Flattering day dress
Smart boots

rootypig Sun 25-Aug-13 14:46:11

I think hair is often overlooked - I am so guilty of this, I just tie mine back. The holy grail is a great haircut that you can just wash and go - I love short hair on women so if you suit it, I would get the chop. As well as cut, get a good styling product that works for your hair type - I'm a Kerastase devotee, their Aqua Seal cream works brilliantly instead of a serum on my thick, fine hair.

Make up - find a good tinted moisturiser or BB cream with high SPF. There are squillions out there for every budget. i'd spend £20+ on that one thing, you don't need much, a tube will last 6 months. Be absolutely sure to get the right shade - test it on your bare face then inspect it in full daylight. Blush, always, Bobbi Brown powder blush in Slopes is lovely on almost all skins.

And clothes - at this time of year I would buy the best coat I could afford, and boots, and wear my pajamas under it grin

MarshaBrady Sun 25-Aug-13 14:47:40

I agree with that

Hair
Boots - ankle or otherwise
Coat - good quality simple so you don't get sick of it

Then if you can cashmere sweater and good skinnies or favourite type of denim.

Amrapaali Sun 25-Aug-13 14:51:29

Agreenwith rootypig re BB cream. Just discovered Soap and Glory's one with SPF25 and it's translucent!! Brilliant! So sick of buying the wrong shades.

Even DH noticed skin looked good. That clinches it, IMO.

My most used/useful items of clothing are:
leather biker jacket
fabric biker jacket
black ankle boots
Westwood jersey dress
Whistles and Topshop tube skirts
plain cowl necked t-shirts from Hobbs
plain black v neck t-shirts from M&S

In terms of makeup etc, T-Gel shampoo, Aveda Hand Relief and Benetint are the things I always return to.

PAsSweetOrangeLurve Sun 25-Aug-13 15:13:57

I've tested a couple of BB creams but wasn't raving. I didn't try the S&G one though so I'll have a look at that. I use Bare Minerals powder but as I'm starting to get fine lines around my eyes, it's not very forgiving - although it gives great coverage!

I want some cashmere sweaters - any recommendations for decent quality at a budget price?

Denim wise I absolutely love M&S 'Lana' straight jeans. I can't wear skinnies as I have quite sturdy legs so they just look odd on me, so I wear straight jeans instead. After looking everywhere for some straights that weren't low rise I eventually found them in M&S of all places. Fit brilliantly, wash well and quite a high waist to them so no muffin top - and only £25 as well grin

rootypig Sun 25-Aug-13 15:27:43

The stellar BB creams in my book are Dior and Givenchy (though think both only for white skin sad )

NARS radiant creamy concealer is amazing, I use to kill any redness around nose, mouth, eyes.

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 15:28:57

OP I recommend Pure Colletion cashmere - wait for a discount code - I have had 25% off which makes it very reasonable for such good cashmere IMO.

My other essentials:

A good watch
Simple pearl earrings
Chanel no 19
Rimmel stay matte powder
Lancome mascara
Lancome artliner eyeliner

Clothes:
Black jersey skirt
Selection of plainish shirts
Black jeans

Good bag

Flats and wedges plus ankle and long boots for winter

Oh and scarves.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 25-Aug-13 15:32:46

For winter:

Bag
Coat
Boots
Scarf
Jeans
Cashmere jumpers
Silk camisoles

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 15:33:56

Remus - is this your Whistles skirt?
www.johnlewis.com/whistles-jersey-tube-skirt/p447426?colour=Black

I have been looking for something similar, guess you'd recommend?

Yep - they are brilliant. Expensive but hold their shape well and are nice and thick. The TS ones are half the price but they only do maxi and midi, and the Whistles one is just over the knee. I've not bought that one yet but have the striped version and it is fab.

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 15:43:05

I saw a Sainsbury's black jersey stretchy pencil skirt yesterday - normal TU not Gok. Did not buy as have been disappointed with stuff from there in the past. Looked similar to Whistles pic but had sort of textured surface pattern which I was not keen on. Don't think I can post link as believe Sainsbury's clothes not online...

The fabric on the Whisltes one is much thicker/better than any of the cheapo ones I've seen. DD1 wears the H&M ones (which are about a fiver) but they are too short for my 43 year old bum.

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 15:51:02

Yes my bum similar age. Can't do thinner fabrics alas. Sounds like the Whistles one might have quite good 'supportive' holder inner properties?

I got asked if I'd lost weight last time I wore my striped one, so yes!

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 16:00:41

:-) Remus - excellent - sounds like a 'must have'!

mysteryfairy Sun 25-Aug-13 16:02:41

Well done on the fab weight loss!

I would in the sales buy premium denim for high street prices...I like Paige, Nobody, Current Elliott and J Brand and have picked up all of these for £40-£50 from Donna Ida, Selfridges, Harvey Nicks, Harrods, Net a Porter etc. If I was on a budget I would possibly aim to get a pair of indigo and a pair of black for starters. Have a full price trying on session somewhere like Selfridges so you can order online with confidence come the sales.

Splendid is a nice make for jersey basics and they can also be snapped up on sale e.g. I bought a couple of extra long for layering long sleeve t shirts at 70% in Shop at Anna sale this summer - a grey one and a wine one.

I wear a lot of cashmere/merino knitwear that I buy from a local sample sale so can't recommend where to get it from but I think it's vital to have some.

I quite like H by Hudson for chunky ankle boots and would consider a pair of those at half price (£75ish). They are comfortable and noticeably better quality than a lot of high street. Alternatively there seem to be a glut of Ash ankle and biker boots around now dramatically reduced so maybe you could make an advance purchase if you like these.

I don't think your budget will allow for a big bag purchase. I would look at Zara for cheap leather handbags which can go down really low in the sales so if you hold your nerve through a few rounds of reductions they end up being £30 or something mad!

I also found Mint Velvet this summer reduced things over and over so I ended up getting a scarf I thought was lovely but overpriced at £39 for £15, grey skinnies that will be great for autumn down from £65 to £19 and some bargain shorts but had to keep stalking their sale to get these. I also get quite a lot from All Saints in the sales. On their second round of reductions things are really reasonable (dont think their quality justifies their full prices though!) so I tend to have a vague wish list ready. Their sizes are surprisingly massive which is worth being aware of.

Independent boutiques tend to have the most generous reductions, maybe because they need to free up the space for the next season and have no outlet stores to ship stuff off too. I habitually look at Coggles, Question Air, Shop at Anna, Net a Porter (especially the final clearance) and the Outnet, My Wardrobe, Donna Ida, Jules B, Atterley Road - there are more but can't think at the moment.

I also identify things I want and google frantically for them in the sales so have had bits from one off boutiques all over the country who just happened to have the specific jeans or whatever.

Final comment would be if there is something you really love pay full price for it now. You'll get 3.5 months wear out of it before Xmas and Sod's law dictates it will sell out pre-sales anyway.

scarlet76 Sun 25-Aug-13 17:13:04

Beauty:
Agree with others that a good cut and colour is vital. I have a short bob so get it chopped every 6 weeks. I do the colour myself every few weeks.
Regular eyebrow threading
Keep nails clean, short and clear varnish. Toe nails dark red.
Accessories:
Good stainless steel watch
Long string freshwater pearls
Fine wool animal print scarf
Clothes
Well fitting skinnys
breton top
cashmere jumper
shirt
Little black dress
ankle boots
coat

PAsSweetOrangeLurve Sun 25-Aug-13 17:50:34

Some of it I already have. I'm happy with the jeans - after months of trekking about trying everything and every brand on, I haven't found any that fit me as well as the M&S ones. I'd love a pair of 'premium' jeans - 7 for all mankind always look really good - but I want to lose more weight before I start making investment purchases.

I've got lots of long line vests and fine jersey tops - H&M are really good for these I think. Have just picked up this jacket for the autumn - the picture does not do it justice as it actually fits me much better. I have to do tailored as I have quite big norks and am only 5'4" so have to be careful with floaty type stuff as it makes me look massive.

In terms of bags, I cannot reconcile myself to spending ££££ on them! I've always been a £20 is plenty kind of gal, but I did see a lovely leather bag in River Island of all places - but it was £70 and I just couldn't justify spending that kind of cash! However I know that logically speaking I will get so much wear out of it so it's worth spending a bit more.

My must have beauty is Max Factor masterpiece mascara and Elemis monoi body oil - which I also use on hair and nails.

Umlauf Sun 25-Aug-13 18:28:04

Remus whats the sizing like on the Whistles skirt/how stretchy is it?

yourcruisedirector Sun 25-Aug-13 19:01:16

Can I jump on and ask where to look for good skinnies? I too need a new wardrobe for my post-natal shape. I'm 5'3 and 8-10 and loved the m&S Indigo skinnies last year (I have purple and pink). I bought some from New Look (super soft?) on rec from a friend but they are shit - should have remembered she prefers disposable fashion whereas I favour things which will last!

Perplexing Sun 25-Aug-13 19:04:58

yourcruise - I rate Topshop (Jamie) and Primark(!) for skinnies.

yourcruisedirector Sun 25-Aug-13 19:05:44

Ty perplexing smile

rootypig Sun 25-Aug-13 19:07:49

Uniqlo for jeans if you're in London

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now