I (really, really) need your brogues expertise.....

(16 Posts)
redmayneslips Wed 07-Aug-13 20:36:38

I LOVE brogues and have 3 pairs now and have resisted a 4th pair recently. I have the clarks hamble oaks in pale grey and have lived in them all summer with bare feet - comfiest shoes EVER and I have really annoyingly soft feet.

I also bought stupidly expensive pair which are not as comfy.

I have been wearing mine with 7/8 length skinny trousers and jeans to work and I have had a lot of positive comments about the pale grey ones.

I like the idea of coloured tights, but for me personally feel it needs a slim calf to carry this look. I might experiment with a flash of colour under an ankle skimming velet skinny jeans when the weather cools down. I have lovely navy ones from GAP - they might work.

blibblibs Wed 07-Aug-13 19:37:56

I have the beige patent hamble oaks and love them (although they do make my short legs look a bit chunky sometimes sad )

Just noticed that amazon have some of the colours for half the price of Clarks shops

SageBush Wed 07-Aug-13 18:44:08

Another vote for Clarks Hamble Oaks - I have the burgundy ones - wore them loads last autumn and winter, and they still look great.

AwkwardSquad Wed 07-Aug-13 18:35:26

Big beard and a pipe, you say? I can do that! (Chucks waxing strips in bin)

charitygirl Wed 07-Aug-13 11:33:37

Another vote for the Hamble Oaks, but brogues will continue to be everywhere this winter, Esp if you include the 'monk strap' style - see Office.

daimbardiva Wed 07-Aug-13 10:41:31

I have tan Hamble Oaks and they are brilliant - one of these items that you wonder how you ever survived without!

Clarks Hamble Oak seem to get very good reviews.

I'm thinking about brogues instead of boots for the autumn, but I have big (size 8) feet and I am a bit nervous that skinny jeans and brogues will make me look like a clown.

Loveleopardprint Wed 07-Aug-13 09:10:30

I think coloured tights are great and show individuality. I like grey or purple tights from m&s for work.

AquaticNocturne Wed 07-Aug-13 08:54:47

Thanks everyone, lots of useful ideas. I'd never thought of tank tops before (although my son has a very funky tractor one!) but think I'll give that a go.

What do I have to think about with tights colour when showing a bit of leg? I was hoping that aubergine, peacock, elf green would look edgy- does it actually look like I might be colour blind?

I'm liking the idea of tan brogues, although I'd be a bit concerned about matching my husband from the ankle down.

AwkwardSquad- Not sure 'cool Camden bookseller' is an actual look (probably checked shirt, big beard and a pipe) but I know a few people who live in places like Fitzrovia who just look fab- little satchels, cute bobs, cool knitwear, possibly channeling their inner Annie Hall.....

CambridgeBlue Wed 07-Aug-13 08:02:14

Watching with interest as I fancy some brogues this year too...

buttercrumble Wed 07-Aug-13 07:43:26

Ankle grazers and funky socks showing , with a nice shirt and jumper or tank top. I love that bookish look
my dd wears this look and it looks great smile

AwkwardSquad Wed 07-Aug-13 07:01:40

What's the 'cool Camden bookseller' look? I'm intrigued. Sounds like the kind of look I'd like, just because its got the word 'bookseller' in it!

I've got myself a pair of brogues for Autumn in the Hobbs sale, black patent. They're gorgeous.

Yes look at clarks. I have the black ones (not patent) and I wear them with black trousers (skinny and wide leg).

Personally I prefer tan with denim and navy so might get them this year.

I think brogues would suit your existing look well, but I'd go for a colour other than black.

snowlie Wed 07-Aug-13 06:59:08

Sounds like you have the perfect wardrobe for brogues. They look good with skinny jeans and ankle grazers. I'm also fond of them with above the knee skirts/dresses, the only thing to consider is the colour of your tights when showing a bit of leg.

Loveleopardprint Wed 07-Aug-13 06:55:05

Might be worth looking in Clarks. I had a pair from there last year and they were great. Think they are doing funky colours this year like burgundy.

AquaticNocturne Wed 07-Aug-13 06:41:38

I'd really like to get into wearing brogues this Autumn/Winter but don't have a clue what to do with them. I'm hoping to channel the 'cool Camden bookseller' look, which is a sharp deviation from my life as a mother of small children and part-time Psychiatrist!

I am short(ish) and petite. In the winter I tend to wear skinny jeans/ above knee skirts with coloured cardis and sweaters and shortish dresses with coloured tights. I need to look smart but not 'business' for work and do a lot of walking/ running around after tinies when at home. I tend not to wear much black and brown, preferring navy, maroon and grey.

Any ideas about how I could wear a nice pair of brogues with my 'normal' wardrobe. I was wondering about a grey pair?

Ideas much appreciated, thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now