Capsule / Basic wardrobe for Autumn/Winter

(65 Posts)
HandMini Tue 06-Aug-13 19:45:04

So, I had DD2 in February. I also had a massive clear out of 90% of my wardrobe because it was all rubbish.

I'm now going to splash some cash on a new wardrobe, as I'm back to pre-baby weight and size and I have nothing to wear other than some shorts and tshirts.

So, would love the Stylers and Beauters of MN to tell me, what do I need in my start-from-scratch A/W wardrobe. I'd love a list of basics to create a capsule wardrobe, or advice as to what the trendy pieces / shapes will be.

I'm blonde/brown haired, pale skinned, size 10. I'm not at all trendy, so err on the side of classic boring

Go!

Awakeagain Wed 07-Aug-13 18:45:19

Aloha, I saw the boots and envy them straight away, would've been most upset if the fit was rubbish
Trawled shop upon shop for my tan boots with a chunky heal had them reheeled and resoled (carpet at school wears it down loads!) so I can have them again last winter after missing them so much whilst never taking them to get done!
I do love a good boo

carlywurly Wed 07-Aug-13 18:56:56

On the days I don't work I live in my white stuff or fat face gilets with Breton tops, slim leg jeans and boots with a big cosy cashmere scarf.
Or short denim skirt, thick tights and boots. I have loads of casual knits and cardigans plus long sleeved tees to layer up with.

I'd get 2 decent pairs of jeans
2 skirts
4 long sleeved tees - white, black, grey and something cheerful
Long and short boots
Casual and smart coat
4 or so plain ish jumpers
A couple of pretty patterned or more detailed tops for going out
A couple of vests for layering under knits.
Nice accessories like scarves and jewellery smile

carlywurly Wed 07-Aug-13 18:57:36

Try places like Great Plains for good quality basics!

finlaysmum12 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:43:25

woolovers.co.uk lovely stuff,merino, cashmere. lambswool etc.

go via topcashback.co.uk for a discount too.

finlaysmum12 Wed 07-Aug-13 19:47:38

woolovers.co.uk lovely stuff,merino, cashmere. lambswool etc.

go via topcashback.co.uk for a discount too.

HandMini Wed 07-Aug-13 19:48:25

Wow, such great lists. Am going to get shopping. Thanks so much ladies.

BeingMoreDog Wed 07-Aug-13 19:50:07

Great list carly.
And some great boots in mink too

CatsWearingTutus Thu 08-Aug-13 07:01:11

I think, once you've chosen your colours, a great place to sart a capsule wardrobe is with one of these cardigans www.landsend.co.uk/Women's-Supima-Fine-Gauge-Cardigan/P_20740,en_GB,pd.html?cgid=5728 and the matching short sleeve top in the same material. This is a hugely versatile set that can be worn together or the cardigan looks great over a crisp white shirt or a coordinating dress. The ss top can be worn without the cardi inn warmer weather. All combinations are great with neutral skirts or trousers or coordinating patterned ones and can be dressed up or down. Quality is good, too.

AlohaMama Thu 08-Aug-13 07:11:20

Oooh I like those boots too. In fact Next seem to have a fairly decent selection. I need to see what is in my local shop though, I don't do shoe-shopping on line.

After reading this thread I decided I needed a down coat too, but don't think I can do a light colour, so I have just treated myself to a black Marmot down parka this one though i bought it in the US so was much cheaper. Hoping this will be a good investment for many cold winters to come!

With that and other recent purchases this is my capsule wardrobe (based heavily on advice on the putting me together blog

- 3 jeans (2 skinny, 1 straight)
- 1 skinny grey jeans with teensy black polka dots (more subtle than it sounds!)
- skirts - want 1 or 2, neutral colour
- dresses - want 1 jersey wrap dress (currently BF-ing) in grey or navy, plus 1 other dress in other colour or pattern
- Need few more tops including a patterned shirt/blouse
- 3 cardigans - grey, green, royal blue
- 2 jumpers - need 1 wool, 1 other
- Coats/jackets - now have Black down jacket, Beige fitted trench coat, Brown leather blazer
- Shoes - need to buy knee length brown riding boots, flats in neutral colour, 1 pair heels (I like these ), and 1 pair of ankle boots
- Accessories - planning on sticking to mainly neutral (navy, grey, brown) and block colours (teals, greens, blues and dash of orange/coral) for clothes and then livening things up with more interesting belts, scarves and necklaces.

I'm hoping some of these gaps might be filled by what I already have, but my winter clothes have been in storage at my parents for the last 5 yrs while I've lived abroad so I can't remember what is there, or how dated it is.

If anyone sees any nice jersey wrap dresses, please link!

Any suggestions of what colour ankle boots to get? I don't know whether to get black (if I get brown knee highs) or if something else would fit better with jeans and grey trousers?

And am I right in thinking that there seem to be quite a wide range of skirt styles in fashion right now? I am seeing lots of different hem lengths, and a mix of pencil/a-line/pleated etc.? Am hoping this is true then maybe some of my older skirts will still work.

finlaysmum12 Thu 08-Aug-13 16:56:09

http://outlet.marksandspencer.com/Autograph-Leather-Cavalier-Boots-T02-1848-S/dp/B00BK4IITA

these look nice for the price?

Awakeagain Thu 08-Aug-13 22:05:13

Aloha I normally find Zara and mango good for dresses many different styles
Haven't had chance to look yet though
Mango outlet also great for 'basics' that will keep if not too trendy

AlohaMama Fri 09-Aug-13 00:43:33

Those M&S boots are a good price for leather, I'll have to try them on. Will try to find a zara & mango to look at too.

celticclan Tue 13-Aug-13 12:02:09

Flicktheswitch Tue 13-Aug-13 12:07:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flicktheswitch Tue 13-Aug-13 12:09:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now