How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(303 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

bunnymother Sat 05-Oct-13 08:18:57

Last night, I bought a coated canvas bag from a souvenir/china shop on Regent St. It was from the V&A (think "winter floral" print) and was reduced to £10. It will be used for snacks / other crap the DCs cart about and will hang off the pram, but I think my transformation into daggy, stingy mummy is almost complete. Dear, dear me.

scarlet76 Sat 05-Oct-13 07:11:17

I'm in austerity measures at present ;-)
I've bought 2 bags this Autumn: A boden leather satchel type bag which I got with stacked discount codes for around £50 and a Cath Kidston bird print oil cloth bag that has handles and a longer across body strap. Also around £50. I often lust after Mulberry but reviews on here put me off which is just as well being as I'm on a spending ban!!

bunnymother Sat 05-Oct-13 06:39:37

This last post read like an ad. I have reported it.

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Joey8 Thu 08-Aug-13 17:54:59

Love designer bags but sadly can't afford them! The most I ever spent on a bag was £40 and it was from River Island.

I have a genuine FAKE Chanel bag though haha, would loveee to have the real deal someday...someday far away I expect!

Twinklestein Thu 08-Aug-13 15:33:23

Not saying how much I spend because it's awful, but wanted to second MadameOvary about picking up bargains on ebay. You can always get BN bags for less.

Just bought a BN Michael Kors there & the saving makes me feel virtuous.

Vonnegut Thu 08-Aug-13 15:15:22

Been sitting on my hands as afraid of being labelled as spelling Nazi, but can now no longer resist... SuckAtRelationships, it's hire purchase, not higher.

#OCDProblems

I have a lovely unknown ..in UK I think ... black and brown suede bag by Loxwood it is nice and smart for everyday and has tasteful silver metal trim. It always gets commented on. I have noticed the outlet shops do fantastic deals at the moment? If you are based near a South West trains network I think they are doing destination deals at present so you could get yourself down to Gunwharf Quays, Fiorelli, Modalu, Osprey, etc all at reasonable prices.

SuckAtRelationships Wed 07-Aug-13 19:08:01

If the thread has gone this way...

I would happily pay £100 for a handbag to use everyday... I do not have lots of money... in fact I would be considered in poverty by government standards of living <rolls eyes>. I am good with my money and budget in some areas to enjoy other areas. I don't use higher purchase or anything like that. Handbags is something I enjoy so I will pay for it. It's got jack all to do with what your job pays, how you've been brought up etc. It's about what you enjoy and where you chose to spend whatever money you have. It's nobody's damn business if I would prefer a nice handbag once in a while than biscuits, fizzy and crisps every week. Why do people get so judgey about such petty things? confused

SuckAtRelationships Wed 07-Aug-13 19:03:02

about £50 for an everyday bag. I second TKMAXX smile

Bumble queen don't know your budget, or what colour/design youre looking for, but I've just bought
this in black for autumn at McArthurglen outlet in York for £209 and £20 off at till, £189. Lovely quality, big, loads of pockets, fabulous leather.....no naff dog.

MadameOvary Tue 06-Aug-13 17:52:43

Very interesting thread! Bunfight aside of course.
I've had just about every major label you can think of, except Chanel. Mulberry, Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Miu Miu, Dior. Most were pre-loved because I found that back when I was working and could afford such things, I was far too precious about a brand-new bag and it was better to have one that had been worn-in a little.
Currently most expensive bag is a Balenciaga Classique bought on eBay for just over £100. Amazingly, it's genuine too. The bag I use all the time is a Miu Miu nylon East-West bag with end pockets and leather straps. It's indestructible and water-resistant (essential in Scotland!)

Flo56 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:04:49

Santa, yes I agree that the remarks about giving to charity were uncalled for. But I think that some of the other points (the ones that weren't personal) were perfectly valid and could have led to an interesting discussion.
I like clothes as much as anyone on this thread but I am also interested in the politics of fashion and think it's a shame that, whenever it comes up, there is so much judginess on the one side and defensiveness on the other.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:24:47

I didn't see an apology but if I missed one then of course it could have been dropped. But I came to this thread late last night and wanted to express both my opinion and support for*Amber*.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:21:23

Gorgeous Loewe here and this little beauty here.

Celine here. These will always look modern.

Radley here and this unusual Abbortsford style here.

This Vuitton is big bucks but I adore it here and this Cabas tote here.

Flo56 Tue 06-Aug-13 16:16:45

Mig, thank you, I agree that the Vogue threads are friendly and I enjoy Amber's posts - and her blog. If I knew her as well as some of you seem to, I would probably have defended her too. But the poster concerned was merely expressing an opinion about high spending that a lot of people (including some of my friends and family) would probably support! I agree that some of what she said was sneery and provocative but there was also a point where she seemed to apologise (at least that was how I read it) and still people kept on piling in.
I have a lot of time for Victoria Beckham by the way (and the dress was gorgeous!). I'm not saying my queasiness is rational but it's how both the high end and the cheap end of fashion make me feel at times. I love it but I also think it stinks.
Amber, I am sorry that you were attacked, it wasn't right.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 06-Aug-13 16:03:48
MrsCampbellBlack Tue 06-Aug-13 16:02:21

Bumble - bag threads are the ff/bf of S&B, they never end well wink

I bought a hobbs bag last year - its clearly trying to be a Celine but was a lot less. The leather is lovely quality so worth looking in Hobbs for bags. Also they normally do a 20% off code several times a year.

If money was no object, I'd have this or the Tom Ford one which Jennifer Aniston has.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:01:08

Bumble Come over to the MNVogue threead. We never flame anybody posing questions like yours and there is a lot of bag discussion.

I personally won't buy any more Mulberry because the last two bags I have purchased have looked not so good after a while. I have a leopard calf hair Alexa. an Ox leather Roxanne, an Edie in oak. The Alexa looks like it has been mauled by a bloody cheetah TBH although it is some years old now.

I adore Loewe bags and they are absolute masters of leather. Better than Italian leatherworkers (and some will disagree). However Bottega Veneta are great too as are Smythson, Longchamp, Radley (the plainer leather styles) and of course LV. Celine make classic yet directional bags which are much adored by fashion folks. The Americans are making great bags. I have a Proenza Schouler PS1 that I use in the Winter and for bulkier work stuff. here it is. And it comes in less jazzy colours too.

Do you want classic muted style or something quirkier? What about colour? Style? What will you mainly use it for? How large is the biggest item you will need it to carry? Do you want understated or no logo?

dexter73 Tue 06-Aug-13 16:00:50

You have unleashed a beast Bumblequeen! What sort of bag are you looking for and dare you mention your budget?

Vibbe Tue 06-Aug-13 16:00:00

For those of you who think it's wrong spending a lot of money on a handbag, do you think it's just as wrong spending a lot of money on a car, instead of getting the cheaper alternative?

Is it just as wrong spending money on an Audi or Mercedes instead of a Skoda or Kia?

Bumblequeen Tue 06-Aug-13 15:52:06

I cannot believe my thread has turned into this!

I was just interested to know how much we pay for our handbags.

I do not feel it is wrong to spend ££££ or £ on bags.

I am still looking for a bag by the way.

santamarianovella Tue 06-Aug-13 15:46:46

flo we see give the money to charity remark very often an bag threads,of course we all give to charity,so it was totally uncalled for.

bleedingheart Tue 06-Aug-13 15:43:21

Not everyone has said that Amber.

A handful of posters have posted comments that are questioning, insulting, sneery or judgmental.

Vitriol and judgement has also been thrown back from some other posters.

Most posters just answered the OP/asked about Mulberry's quality these days.

I'm sorry you felt the need to share your back story as I have no doubt you work hard and have every right to spend your income how you see fit, without justifying it here. I hope you're not subject to any attacks because of this.

So people on above-average incomes are not allowed to:

- admit that they work hard and were not born into a trust fund
- buy themselves expensive handbags as it is immoral and they ought to be given every last farthing to charity
- object to being called middle class harpies.

Cool, we know where we stand.

I actually feel really disappointed in myself for baring my soul and doubtless giving out more ammunition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now