Curly hair DD - confused about brushing

(33 Posts)
EarlyIntheMorning Sun 28-Jul-13 06:46:01

I took 6YO DD to have her second ever haircut last week. She had really long knotted matted curly hair but with no curls in due to the sheer weight on the hair. So just a big frizzy messy mass basically.

So anyway, it looks a million times better now that layers have been put in but hairdresser told me to NEVER brush her hair whilst dry. If I just leave her hair it gets knotty. I don't want to wash it everyday, simply don't have the time.

So what does one do?confused

Notfootball Sun 28-Jul-13 22:11:57

Agree with all the above, conditioner with water to wet-brush it. I try protective styling on DD's curls (waist length when wet) but find it can be pretty dry by then end of the day. Is anyone using a non-silicone based product to stop theirs becoming dry?

BringOn2014 Mon 29-Jul-13 00:07:40

Can someone please explain to me the curly girl method?
My DD is 3 and has tight ringlets, I never brush her hair but she always gets this matted patch at the back of her head, how can I get rid of this?
At the moment her hair is very short, only just down to her shoulders when wet and barely any 'dangly bits' when its dry because it curls so tight. I have no idea how to look after curly hair, both DD1 and I have straight hair.

jennimoo Mon 29-Jul-13 06:51:32
Kahu Mon 29-Jul-13 06:58:05

Does anyone have any tips on how curly hair should be cut?

DD is 5 & her hair looks quite short due to the curls although it is shoulder length when wet. Her hair has taken years to grow & she's never had a proper hair cut - just random snips of the ends when she's been in the bath blush. Right now she seems to have longer layers on top, a matted frizz at the back where she sleeps on it & a funny short bit on top where she took the scissors to it aged 3.

I could see DM biting her tongue trying not to comment on the state of it when she was visiting recently. Think it might be time for a proper cut but I've no idea what I should be asking the hairdresser to do with it.

jennimoo Mon 29-Jul-13 07:05:13

I took my DD to the hairdresser a few months ago as the front needed sorting out (refuses bands / clips etc so couldn't see...) and it was awful. I asked for the minimum off the back and she still took a good inch or so as its so difficult with curly hair...

I'd ask around your local area and maybe drop by hairdressers and see if any of them are curly...

And I should have realised when I said 'shall I come in with her hair just washed?' and they said that would be fine that they had no clue,

ZolaBuddleia Mon 29-Jul-13 09:52:20

I cut DD's hair myself, following the CG advice, I cut it dry, each ringlet at a time, at the top of the curl, on a 45 degree angle. Wouldn't trust a hairdresser, DD hates being fussed with and I reckon they'd try to layer it or cut it all off square.

I wash with shampoo once a week, other washes are either just rinses or with conditioner. I use either body shop rainforest spray in detangler or Aveda be curly (no silicones) when wet to clump the curls together.

Kahu Tue 30-Jul-13 06:11:14

Thanks all. Might have a go myself...

amessagetoyouYoni Tue 30-Jul-13 09:58:26

Similar tips to above. Never brush it dry, it just breaks!

My DD is mixed race and has frizzy curly but not afro hair. I wash her hair once a week with Aveda shampoo, soak with conditioner (might be worth trying a brand like Curly Qs or Mixed Chicks or an afro conditioner actually....theyre much richer) and gently comb through worst tangles, rinse, then put in a small blob of conditioner at ends and massage and leave in.

I brush her hair out wet, using a tangle teezer and a wide toothed comb for the ends / stubborn knots. I plait it at this point, as I think looking after thick, curly hair from scratch every morning before school is far too much of a mission! But if she is going to wear her hair loose or I'm going to re-do a ponytail or plaits on her, I would use a spray-on detangler (I prefer the olive oil-based ones for afro hair, available quite cheaply online), then once its brushed, I'd work through a blob of moisturing hair cream or balm (or a leave-in conditioner if her hair is fine) to separate and smooth the curls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now