Maxi dress for the short and fat??

(73 Posts)

I have a wedding next month. I'm 5'0 and between and 16/18 size wise. Big hips, big norks and a fairly narrow waist in comparison. It's obviously not tiny but is my narrowest point.

I dislike my ,legs but can cope with them out in opaques, but this weather isn't opaque weather, so I'm thinking maxi dress.

Will I look like a walking wigwam?

Also looking for suggestions. Budget as little as possible, but can go up to £100 if I can use accessories I already have.

They are nice Lady!

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:20:44
LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:22:08

Agree your bra needs a little work ;)

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:22:54

I like that. Black cap sleeve plain. Amazing bright clutch and shoes.

karinmaria Sat 20-Jul-13 17:23:46

Coast have a few fabulous jersey wrap style dresses at the moment. Their jersey is heavier and better quality than most high street shops so it skims lumps and bumps really well, and the dresses are lined too. All this = very flattering.

The coast dresses are simple so you can go for amazing shoes and a statement necklace. M&S do very good control sheer tights.

Can you tell I'm also short, big busted and looking for a wedding outfit?! Trust me I've done my research!!!

You need a dress with the waist on your waist, that one is empire line which I think is what is making your bra look wrong. Legs are good from knee down, go for on the knee dress and a low heel or wedge!

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 20-Jul-13 17:24:33

i am 5ft 4 and a size 14 - i have just bought 3 maxi dresses that look brilliant on me. I didnt think i could wear them at all - but everyone commented on how nice looked in them. I wore one to the pub last night.

ill see if i can link them.....

i got this in both colours - very flattering

and

this one

you would probably need them taking up a fraction if you are 5ft - i got away with platform wedge sandals with them.

i thought they would look terrible but actually hang beautifully - dont cling at all, make norks look fab and make the most of your waist without clinging to tummy or legs.

i never thought i could wear a maxi in a million years - i tried the strapless ones with belts and looked horrendous! but the ones i bought are lovely and i felt very glam! ive never seen my norks looks so good! (get a good strapless bra!)

Does it? I measured a month or so ago and I have my new purchase on.

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:24:53

How stretchy is it? I like em tight

ProphetOfDoom Sat 20-Jul-13 17:25:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

karinmaria Sat 20-Jul-13 17:26:53

Yes EXACTLY to the dress Remus linked to.

I'd say no to the Wallis one. I think you need to be v slim to carry that 'little girly' prom shape, personally.

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:29:36

Yes. I have similar. Olivia one from coast

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:29:51

I think you're right reem

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:30:56

For a summer wedding? Granted in Scotland so it could be snowing!

I would wear hat coast dress to work.

That not hat!

NotAnotherPackedLunch Sat 20-Jul-13 17:32:46

Your legs look fine and your calves have good shape.
Anti histamines will reduce the redness and itching of the bites, then you'll be fine to get them out.
I think a wrap dress in a heavy jersey would look good on you.

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 17:47:40

Might be a bit busy. Or busty. Try

Sorry, no. I think that would be a disaster on big norks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now