How hard can it be to find a summer dress??

(125 Posts)
Dancergirl Tue 16-Jul-13 12:24:54

I'm looking for a flattering everyday dress.

I am

Early 40s
Size 12
Slimmish, good legs, boobs, a bit top heavy

I'm looking for something above the knee with short sleeves (don't like my upper arms), not shapeless/sack-like, preferably with a waist and not mumsy!

Is this impossible??

NoComet Thu 18-Jul-13 22:23:00

White stuff also have cotton dresses with sleeves.

Thurlow Fri 19-Jul-13 11:43:35

I've just bought this from Next and am in love with it. It was a completely random buy on the way in to work because I suddenly decided I hated the dress I was wearing, and it's the best buy I've made in ages. It needs a belt to finish it off really, but it's good for work and casual. I just wish they did it in green or burgundy or something else as well.

missbopeep Fri 19-Jul-13 11:59:32

I really like that dress- and I hardly ever like anything from Next.

Thurlow Fri 19-Jul-13 12:30:56

It's my new 'I'll wear it to anything' dress grin I'm hoping I can get away with it to a casual wedding!

Ok, I am prepared to share. I am now going to show you the perfect summer cotton dress. But only because I have already bought it so it going out of stock won't affect me. <selfish> wink

Mantaray cotton dress

It is just above the knee, short sleeves, and very flattering!

loopydoo Fri 19-Jul-13 14:02:00
LifeOfPee Fri 19-Jul-13 14:06:33

How about an everyday dress you can breastfeed in, something flattering to a post-partum body too? That seems to be impossible without spending £££ on a dedicated rip off nursing dress.

So jealous of all dress wearing going on sad

Dancergirl Fri 19-Jul-13 14:11:41

Well the People Tree one arrived and it's going straight back - awful. Much longer than in the photo and looked really frumpy.

Waiting now for the Jigsaw one and also ordered another one from Debenhams.

loopydoo I saw that White Stuff one but it's out of stock!

Dancergirl Fri 19-Jul-13 14:20:04

What do we think of this?

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_054010111963_-1

Frumpy??

Maybe I should go and shop in New Look!

Thurlow Fri 19-Jul-13 14:48:25

You can joke, but most of my casual summer dresses are from New Look, cheap and cheerful but surprisingly good!

LRDYaDumayuIThink Fri 19-Jul-13 14:52:17

If you are wanting sleeves, take a look at these people: www.limb-clothing.com/

I know they are a bit pricey, but they're machine-sewn in the UK, which I think is nice. I love them.

thegreylady Fri 19-Jul-13 15:00:34

East have lovely fine cotton dresses with sleeves smile

middleagedspread Fri 19-Jul-13 15:47:18

Thurlow I love that navy dress, but it's sold out in my size sad

moggiek Fri 19-Jul-13 15:52:05

LRDY - what a great site! Didn't know it existed.

LRDYaDumayuIThink Fri 19-Jul-13 15:53:51

I think it's relatively new. They were offering 10% off your next purchase if you sent them a picture of you wearing their dress to use on their facebook page, so I think they must be quite a small operation. I love the fabrics they use.

spicywalrus Fri 19-Jul-13 15:54:18

I have this dress which is quite flattering. Also Debenhams have got an offer on at the mo, £5 off if you spend £25 or 10% off until Sunday I think.

MrsOakenshield Fri 19-Jul-13 16:25:25

LRDY - what fantastic dresses, I love the Polly one, tempted to get it for my birthday. But, what kind of shoes? I do have fuck off 50s red stilletos that I wore on my wedding day, but I would prefer flats (I didn't have to walk far on wedding day, and ceremony only last 10 minutes!).

LRDYaDumayuIThink Fri 19-Jul-13 16:28:02

Oooh. I want your 50s red stilletos!

I reckon the full skirt one would look cute with flats.

missbopeep Fri 19-Jul-13 16:31:39

www.limb-clothing.com/

Isn't the day dresses model with the dark hair Kirsty Allsop? grin

MrsOakenshield Fri 19-Jul-13 16:32:51

they were such a great buy, £25 from M&S (red with a little white strap across the front), to go with my 50s style black, white and grey wedding dress. One of my better, post-DD, sartorial days.

I need to get some of that body glide stuff before I make a frock purchase though (flabby chaffing thighs, yeuch).

LRDYaDumayuIThink Fri 19-Jul-13 16:38:46

Ooh. envy

They sound gorgeous. As does your wedding dress.

I just bought this for my 50th birthday party (which is on a beach in a hot country).
www.east.co.uk/anokhi-chintz-dress-white/

Branleuse Fri 19-Jul-13 17:42:30

And I agree with those who have highlighted how hard it is to find dresses with sleeves. This is a real problem. There is nothing particular wrong with my upper arms but I am 50 after all and a little sleeve is more flattering! So many beautiful dresses but all straps/sleeveless!

Branleuse Fri 19-Jul-13 19:45:49

most white stuff dresses have some sort of sleeve

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now