Cracked heel balms, do they work?

(38 Posts)
babysaurus Mon 15-Jul-13 18:14:29

My heels are looking a bit worse for wear and one in particular is developing a couple of mildly painful cracks. Obviously I don't want them to get worse so have had a small rub with a pumice but am also wondering if those heel creams, or anything similar, are worth it too...?

MadBusLady Wed 07-Aug-13 12:29:47

I have hooves. Only flexitol and Newtons Chiropody Sponge works. About three quid on Amazon, Boots don't do it any more, the fools. Makes pumice look like marshmallow. I just use those once a week, couldn't be bothered to do footcare every day.

Keztrel Wed 07-Aug-13 12:26:33

When I use Eucerin 10% urea lotion on my feet most days they never get dry or cracked (it also stops my slightly ingrowing toenails from hurting). It's much nicer to apply than those thick, stinky heel balms!

vjg13 Wed 07-Aug-13 11:27:49

Just ordered the Footner peel stuff from Boots, can't wait!!

PeriodMath Wed 07-Aug-13 02:17:16

Ooh, I always file dry feet then rinse in the shower. Can't imagine doing it wet. Wouldn't the skin be too soft to get much off?

cherrytiu Wed 07-Aug-13 02:10:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chicinwellies Sat 20-Jul-13 19:26:42

Flexitol and S&G Foot buffer CANNOT be beaten as a combination. I wear wellies oct - march and april - sept flip flops on the cornish coast, my feet take a battering and this duo are the only things that work !

valiumredhead Sat 20-Jul-13 18:56:30

I've used one of them before but ime the file leaves a nicer finishgrin

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 20-Jul-13 14:09:43

the foot file is for mere AMATEURS

you want the urea based heel balm and THIS beauty here
www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/lloydspharmacy-corn-amp-callous-safety-knife-14999

Imagine your hard skin like a block of cheese - this PEELS it off.

valiumredhead Sat 20-Jul-13 14:07:45

I bought the soap and glory foot file...OMG shock it's incredible!

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Wed 17-Jul-13 17:24:26

foot file ... best ever my feet are fab grin

CocktailQueen Tue 16-Jul-13 23:00:26

I love going to a chiropodist - they scrape all the dead hard skin off, and my feet feel lovely after.

Yonihadtoask Tue 16-Jul-13 09:12:49

The trick is to try and remember to use something daily.
If you miss a couple of days or more then you soon get out of the habit, and feet get hard skin again.

NoComet Tue 16-Jul-13 00:18:09

Yes Flexitol works like a charm. Body shop's thick body butter, the stuff in the round pots is great as a preventive, but Flexitol if you let then crack.

LegoCaltrops Mon 15-Jul-13 23:46:21

I use a pumice in the bath or shower, quite often. Occasionally put foot cream (not fussy about the brand) quite liberally all over my feet, then put socks on, leave on all night (recommend this is done in cooler weather). I'm a low maintenance girl, my foot care takes about 5 minutes per month.

Frizzbonce Mon 15-Jul-13 23:39:30

Blimey - I've discovered a whole new world of Manky Foot Cures. Crusty foot peel! Creams that work on feet and nipples - Fipples? Neeps? Chemical Socks! Superglue!

Truly - sand is fantastic though.

WetDog Mon 15-Jul-13 22:41:35

The QVC stuff was called Pedikur I think. You can still buy it online. Remember seeing it on QVC but I didn't have crap feet back then!

babysaurus Mon 15-Jul-13 21:47:41

Am now intrigued by Footner! Disgusting but effective sounds rather attractive...!

valiumredhead Mon 15-Jul-13 21:32:04

Shakey- I used to have one that was like a roll on deodorant and as you rubbed it the skin peeled off. It was FAB!

lizandlulu Mon 15-Jul-13 21:26:39

Sperdrug do a good intensive foot cream, usually £4 ish and buy one get one half price.

HeyMicky Mon 15-Jul-13 21:15:59

Not to be used on open wounds, but once your heels are better, try Footner. It's a foot peel, can get it from Boots. Pop the chemical socks on for an hour, then 3 days later all the gross akin peels off your feet.

It's simultaneously the most disgusting and most amazing beauty treatment I have ever used.

Yonihadtoask Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:02

A few years ago I used to buy a lotion from QVC. I had to soak cotton wool strips in the lotion, and cling film it onto my free and leave for 20 mins. Then using a blunt knife or spatula would scrape off the now softened excess skin.

Sounds gross but it did work. Was v satisfying. Not seen it for ages, prob dangerous chemicals.

Alwayscheerful Mon 15-Jul-13 21:07:18

I always soak feet first and make them soft, file with good foot file and use scholl hard skin remover cream (its abrasive, rub it in and it dissolves hard skin) then go to bed having applied a good application of heel balm.

Shakey1500 Mon 15-Jul-13 20:55:48

I'm sure there used to be a hard skin remover type cream? I've been looking as well and using the old pumice stone this week.

HappyYoni Mon 15-Jul-13 20:55:36

Ooh can I ask a relevant, albeit probably really stupid question?
What's the best way to use a pumice stone? Are they supposed to be used when your feet are wet, eg in the bath, or before the bath, or after the bath, or does it not matter? This is a whole new world to me but would ike to make my feet lovely! Sorry to hijack.

Alwayscheerful Mon 15-Jul-13 20:53:51

There ia a manic ingredient i think it's urea, if it contains 25% urea it will work . I soak and file with a good file first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now