Is everyone doing push eyeliner now?

(57 Posts)
Keztrel Sun 14-Jul-13 21:50:50

I've only just heard of it. What's so good about it? Does it make your eyes look as big as they do with a thick, slightly flicked line on the top lashes like I normally do?

garlicagain Wed 17-Jul-13 21:07:53

Nice find, Pomp!

MrsL, those flat-ended, flat-sided brushes are called stippling brushes by artists. If you have a art shop handy, go in and examine the brushes! You can pick the exact size & depth you want.

There's a name for this? I've been doing it for years! Ooh I'm never ahead of the trends. <proud>

Pompbear Wed 17-Jul-13 20:42:38

I just tried it and I love it!! Peacocks have a brow kit for £5 - I used the black colour for my eyeliner. The brow colours and brushes ate OK too - a nice bargain! Quality wise its similarto my bodyshop brow kit - the peacocks one has morecolours too

Vibbe Wed 17-Jul-13 11:18:01

I use the MAC 212 brush, and it's very good. I haven't tried other brushes in the same shape, so I have nothing to compare with. But the 212 keeps its shape after many washes and is stiff enough to work with, but not so stiff that it's uncomfortable.

Personally, I can't use an angled brush (I have MAC 263) to push the colour into the lashes. I can draw a line along the lashes with the brush and do a wing, but it's not the same as pushing the colour into the lashes.

Keztrel Wed 17-Jul-13 11:08:05

No I haven't, will do that tomorrow MrsLettuce - you are my make up guru at the moment! grin

MrsLettuce Wed 17-Jul-13 11:03:05

Have you tried adding a slim line of normal liner as well as teh push thing? Very nice indeed.

Keztrel Wed 17-Jul-13 10:49:56

I know what you mean about crappy brushes MrsLettuce. I think the Body Shop ones are really good (not sure if they have a push brush). The brush I'm using is from Ruby and Millie and at least 10 years old, and was about £8. It's the same shape and size as the Mac one but the bristles are slightly longer - it's still v stiff and works for pushing. I think as long as you have a brush that's the right shape and the bristles feel good, not too fluffy or plasticky or soft, you'll be fine whether it cost £2 or £25.

Am liking the push liner a bit more today, but then I'm having a good skin day and look less tired overall, so that might be why.

MrsLettuce Wed 17-Jul-13 09:35:48

Have been push lining for an age so it's not a question of getting the technique down, unfortunately. I used to add a line of liner too which made the angled brush a perfect choice, but I can't really get away with that any more - have gradually moved to just the push liner and the tiny wee wing I can fit before my extended hood crease.

MrsLettuce Wed 17-Jul-13 09:29:19

this one here here is an 'official' push brush, tedious. this is what I'm using ATM but with my (increasingly) hooded eyes, not so tip top vision and cack-handedness it's a bit tricky.

I'm going to have a rummage in the chemist for something similar but TBH I'm loath to waste my money on a series of cheaper brushes which don't cut the mustard. IM-picky-and-perfectionist-E it's very easy to spend the price of a quality brush on 3 or 4 failures looking for a 'bargain' - am tempted to go straight to mac this time. THe brushes of theirs I have are 6+ years old but still as good as new - still hold their shape perfectly have never shed a single hair. 25 euros though. uurgh.

SorrelForbes Wed 17-Jul-13 07:53:21

I just use a brush that I got free with something! It's got a thin angled head and does the job. I've seen something similar in Boots.

TBH I get pretty much the same result whether I push the shadow in just above or just below the lashes.

Which MAC brush is it?

MrsLettuce Tue 16-Jul-13 16:27:34

Does anyone know if it's worth investing a proper brush?

I'm using an angled mac one which is supposed to be for brows (208 I think), from when my eyes were less hooded and I could wear proper, dramatic liner. More control would be handy - I'm well used to doing it but it remains a faff. Would spending the best part of 20 pounds on the 212 make that much difference?

garlicagain Tue 16-Jul-13 16:17:09

I couldn't find one without the comb on the back, Lettuce!

MrsLettuce Tue 16-Jul-13 15:37:01

Yup, my DM used that stuff too. Btush was a bit different to the one above but she definitely stippled the roots of the lashes as well as applying to th e length.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Jul-13 15:28:02

My first every mascara was a cake onegrin -- that you spat in--

Keztrel Tue 16-Jul-13 15:22:37

valium it is a silly name, agreed! I wonder if someone just came up with a new name for an old technique, to re-market certain brushes and liners. Either way, if they hadn't I wouldn't have tried it unless someone showed me how.

garlicagain Tue 16-Jul-13 15:19:36

I've just realised this is what Mum used to do with cake mascara! It came with a brush like this ^^ I see it's back on the market - might get some next payday smile

valiumredhead Tue 16-Jul-13 15:15:21

Push-it's such a daft name for it....

garlicagain Tue 16-Jul-13 15:07:15

Are you just saying 'put more on'?

Erm, yes! grin

Bourjois have an eyeliner pen with three tiny tips (like a fork) which is supposed to be for pushing into the eyelashes - I tried it and it was too black for me, also hard to avoid the final effect being uneven (I have very pale skin).

Keztrel Tue 16-Jul-13 14:55:07

garlicagain I don't really understand what you mean blush

But I do love the phrase 'big, black pointy eyes' grin

Are you just saying 'put more on'? I can do that!

garlicagain Tue 16-Jul-13 13:33:26

Keztrel, try pushing through your lashes and onto your lid at the outer third of the eyes, then extend the corner by pushing sideways kind of thing.

(Good thing I didn't become a make-up teacher, isn't it?!)

This eye-lining technique won't give you big, black pointy eyes because it's supposed to be subtle & shadowy - it's basically a kohl effect. You can, though, get big, smoky eyes by colouring the edge of the lid through the lashes, then doing the waterline.

valiumredhead Tue 16-Jul-13 13:30:42

Super dry MUA eye shadows are fantastic for this as they are so highly pigmented and last ages.

Keztrel Tue 16-Jul-13 13:19:22

Did the push liner today and been wearing it all morning - no smudging or running or irritation, even though it's v hot. I like how it looks like very thick, pretty eyelashes without looking like liner - it's definitely a different look from just mascara.

But I don't look made up enough to me (code for: my eyes look smaller). Will persevere though because I think I'm just too used to seeing my eyes with a thick black line of gel liner. Might be nice to have a natural look for a change.

I only use a very light touch of mascara, and only brush it on from about half way up the length of the lashes (I use brown-black to match their natural colour) so they don't get stiff. I do the powder above the lash beforehand though as I don't want clumps of powder sticking to the mascara. I'll try again tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now