you lot stressing about BIKINIS? LISTEN

(126 Posts)
EliotNess Mon 08-Jul-13 16:08:24

I was at a beach today. in ENGERLAND and there were all sorts of shapes and ages wearing bikinis

dont let them brow beat us into only letting 1% of the population " celebrate our curves" wink

Wear and damn them all!

NoComet Tue 09-Jul-13 11:02:29

But tum and back are just extra area to burn, need sun cream and therefore collect sand.

Bikini pants, fall down, halter neck tops rub on the back of your neck, there is absolutely nothing to like about bikinis, except you can go to the loo, slightly more easily.

You can do that in a tanki. Finding a nice tanki is a more difficult task, I grant you.

LifeofPo Tue 09-Jul-13 11:08:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hillyhilly Tue 09-Jul-13 11:13:59

I only realised this last year, have been wearing one pieces for 8 yrs (since dd even though in better shape than before kids and no stretch marks, sorry).
I looked around me and felt like a complete frump!
I now have 3, but still haven't resolved the problem of white under boob shadows-!)

snoworneahva Tue 09-Jul-13 12:09:13

You want to wear a bikini go for it but don't wear one because you're terrified everyone will think you're a frump in a one piece, that's just as bad as wearing a one piece because of what you think people will say about you wearing a bikini. Be gone swimwear fascists - wear whatever you like and to hell with them all!!

Damnautocorrect Tue 09-Jul-13 12:25:14

Men never seem to care when they strut about with top off beer belly out

dexter73 Tue 09-Jul-13 13:22:07

I think you have bought bikini pants that are too big if they fall down! Do you have the same trouble with normal pants?

LeGavrOrf Tue 09-Jul-13 13:26:29

Bloody hell at you looking wistfully at toddlers. grin

I held a baby a few weeks ago and when she started crying I was terrified. You wouldn't believe that I had actually had a baby once.

I agree though. Just wear a bloody bikini or whatever you want in this weather. Very sad thread the other day about overweight women feeling compelled to cover up because of their size. Sod that in this heat, just wear whatever is comfortable.

Except maxi dresses.

LeGavrOrf Tue 09-Jul-13 13:28:22

I cannot wear a swimsuit. I am very long waisted and they are never long enough s are very uncomfortable crotch-wise.

I can't look back at the mid 90s and the hey day of the bodysuit without wincing at the memory of those poppers.

Fenton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:29:53

I wear a swimsuit and boardshorts and feel very comfortable that way, - much easier for dashing about the beach after the children without the worry of wobbly bits suddenly being on show.

Each to their own innit.

Fenton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:32:22

Lol LeGav grin

those poppers were never in a comfortable place. And I saw too many cases of people (after a few too many vera's) leaving them unpoppered and flapping out the back

I never did that, oh no. blush

LeGavrOrf Tue 09-Jul-13 13:34:08

Someone on mumsnet once posted that someone left the flappy bits of their body out once when pissed at a party and they had SKIDMARKS on grin

LeGavrOrf Tue 09-Jul-13 13:34:42

Was that you Fenton? grin

Quodlibet Tue 09-Jul-13 13:51:33

I remember in Brazil women of all sizes wear - as the norm - teeny tiny little bikinis. It makes you realise that more fabric is actually very rarely more flattering when it comes to swimwear. I reckon you draw much more attention to yourself self-consciously hoiking around various ineffective cover-up solutions than you do exposing a bit of less-than-firm flesh. No-one really cares what anyone else's midriff looks like.

Fenton Tue 09-Jul-13 13:55:10

NOT ME! no skiddies here, thank you.

<harrumph>

Quodlibet Tue 09-Jul-13 13:56:44

Then again, Brazilian bikinis are spectacularly well-engineered compared to British ones. They are small but keep everything in place and don't vanish up your bum or in the sea. Most British high street bikinis are not designed to be up to much more vigorous than standing in a changing room IMO.

gindrinker Tue 09-Jul-13 15:28:10

I'm too pale skinned to get out acres of flesh.
If i did I could single handedly keep nivea sun in business just being in a bikini for a few days.

I'm the person who wears tee-shirts rather than strappy vests too.

hazelnutlatte Tue 09-Jul-13 15:38:08

gindrinker I spent years feeling self conscious about being milk bottle white - then discovered fake tan and wore what I liked. Now I don't wear fake tan any more and have stopped caring what prople think of me, there are plenty of people who look worse than me in a bikini, pale or not!

hazelnutlatte Tue 09-Jul-13 15:39:52

have re read your post and realised yoy are not self conscious, just don't want to burn! Would recommend ultra sun once a day cream then.
And I promise to read further posts properly!

Lays on my trampoline in my back garden in my bikini top

(With size 18 shorts on...granted...)

OrangeLily Tue 09-Jul-13 15:54:02

I've put a bikini on today in the garden but def feeling frumpy, pale and hairy. Hate being pale with really dark hair.

jamaisjedors Tue 09-Jul-13 15:57:52

Nice thread - good timing, I have just been getting stressed at the thought of wearing my new v.expensive bikini on holiday next week, as the bottoms are a bit smaller than I'm used to. My cellulite is bugging me, but I'm thinking, it's not going to get any better, in 10 years I'll kick myself if I don't wear it.

Llareggub Tue 09-Jul-13 16:01:14

I have never worn a bikini. I have issues about my hideous tummy. No amount of cajoling will budge me on this. Even when I was a fit pre teen swimmer I had a bulge tummy. A c section has not helped matters.

MoodyDidIt Tue 09-Jul-13 16:03:59

i think this is a great thread. i stopped wearing bikini's for years after i had my first DC.

as i was CONVINCED that now i no longer had my pre-pregnancy "perfect" washboard tummy i was somehow not allowed and would look disgusting sad

but the last couple of years i have just gone for it and i think i look OK. not perfect, but OK.

Shodan Tue 09-Jul-13 16:08:53

I am also about to brave the beaches in a bikini.

Not such a great issue, I hear you all roar.

But ds1 (17) is going to be with us and will officially DIE!!!!! (Complete with strop/sulk/eye-rolling and refusal to be within a ten metre radius of me)

Mwahahahahaha.

choceyes Tue 09-Jul-13 16:14:41

2 c-sections in 2 years mean that my tummy is a mess even though I am a size 8. I never had a flat tummy to begin with anyway.
I ordered some bikinis the other day and tried them on and they make me look lumpy and several sizes bigger (i have big norks too).
I bought a retro style one piece and it is soooo much more flattering. Bikini's aren't for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now