Tell me about 40 year old men and chinos please

(36 Posts)

Dh used to wear chinos in the summer when we first met. I don't like them, they make me think of geeks or farmers. However, dh is pissed off with only wearing jeans or shorts in the summer and thinks chinos would be a good idea.
So mumsnet jury - are chinos ok for 40 yr old men? He fancies the beigey ones.
P.s obviously he is a grown man and if he wants to wear chinos I shall mind my own business. He just doesn't feel confident to get some without female input.

You can get ones that are cut nicely so they don't look like old man pants.

Mollydoggerson Tue 25-Jun-13 14:31:30

Of course they are fine, especially for business casual workwear.

Where should we look? I think he used to get them in Gap.

Iseeall Tue 25-Jun-13 14:36:15

Boden do a slim fit chino if its the thought of ' baggy beige old man ' style that is putting you off.

JamEyelid Tue 25-Jun-13 14:50:51

Fat Face do coloured and plain beige ones. DP wears them.

neriberi Tue 25-Jun-13 15:45:12

My DH is 45 and wears chinos, he looks fab in them, I don't see why a 40 + man can't wear them. He wears Gap or Uniqlo and has ventured into Zara of all places as well (who a really good slim fit chino).

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GobblersKnob Tue 25-Jun-13 16:00:22

H&M have some really nice slim leg coloured ones in the sale for a tenner. They are well cut and look great on my 40 year old dp grin

Gillybobs Tue 25-Jun-13 16:32:51

My DH wears these, sort of a compromise between jeans and chinos, he buys them in navy and the tan colour every year (creature of habit). Canvas fabric so lighter weight than denim, but cut like jeans so no chance of looking like an old codger

www.fatface.com/trousers/dalton-five-pocket-canvas-trousers/invt/42566?colour=Dark%20Yellow

Thanks everyone. Think we will have a shopping trip on Saturday and he can try some on. Much prefer the camel colour ones to the pale creamy colour.

RaspberrySchnapps Tue 25-Jun-13 16:52:53

another one with a Gap chino wearing DH. The Boden ones similar, all heavier fabric and quite nicely cut for chinos.

He bought some similar from BHS and they had acres of fabric in the front. they made him look about 75. no arse, or anything else in there grin

my dh wears the river island or next twisted chinos

Kikithecat Tue 25-Jun-13 16:57:51

I like chinos as long as they are the modern style - not the ones with front pleats that give a man a bogus erection whenever he sits down.

GoshlyoHeavens Tue 25-Jun-13 17:01:22

He's a person. He can choose to wear whatever he wants, can't he?

HeartOfDixie Tue 25-Jun-13 17:02:38

Another one here for slim cut chinos on DP currently from uniqlo.

MyBoysAreFab Tue 25-Jun-13 17:04:43

My DH wears slim fitting chinos from Gap and jeans-cut ones from Next. He has a job where jeans are a bit casual but suits too formal. I think he looks rather foxy in them.

My dh has big thighs too so I suspect will need classic style. Have ordered 3 types from gap.
Goshlyoheavens, I did say in my OP that he's a grown man and can wear what he likes but he wanted female advice and as I didn't like chinos I didn't feel able to advise him.

heidihole Tue 25-Jun-13 18:20:30

DH (33) wears chinos a lot. Hadn't realised they were questionable fashion-wise! I think he looks great. Chinos, belt, shirt...simple and smart casual.

dh has the big thigh/bum problem that's why the twisted fit well. ooh especially his gstar ones!

ShoeWhore Tue 25-Jun-13 19:25:00

Dh is 42 and wears slim fit camel coloured chinos - think they are from Zara.

Our poor dd has no chance - dh has chunky thighs and bum and I have cankles!

Dawndonna Tue 25-Jun-13 21:57:03

Dh is 42 and looks really quite sexy in his chinos. We get them from Fatface.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now