I've just bought Nail Envy and some OPI minis - tell me they will transform my poor nails!

(59 Posts)
mirai Sun 26-May-13 07:19:56

I bit my nails when I was a child; I managed to stop all through uni then started up again the night I had a big row with a dick of an ex-BF!

Anyway... ever since then I have continued to bite, sometimes I manage to stop biting for a week or two and while they do grow they are so weak that I can even bend them. shock sad

SO, I have just bought some Nail Envy and the OPI Euro Centrale mini collection as a treat..

Please tell me that soon my nails will be looking long, strong and beautiful!! I've never tried OPI before so this is all new to me smile

valiumredhead Fri 02-Aug-13 15:05:24

You need to rub in coconut oil ever day,I have proper long, strong nails with no splits!! Flexitol nearly worked but coconut oil is the BESTgrin

CointreauVersial Fri 02-Aug-13 13:07:16

I'm a couple of weeks into Nail Envy treatment, having read this thread. It certainly seems to be helping a little, but I'm very bad at remembering to reapply every two days (and if you don't, it starts to peel off from the base of the nail). I guess it works by preventing/overpainting any peeling/flaking bits, and making the tip of the nail thicker/stronger, so I'm probably not getting the best out of it if I keep forgetting to reapply.

I love the thick/shiny finish, though.

I'll give it a few more weeks, then I might try the Mavala if it's good. Sally Hansen did nothing.

Onesleeptillwembley Fri 02-Aug-13 11:02:52

Buying a buffer worked for me, just use it when watching tv at nights. I had terrible nails - they're not perfect, but are unbelievably better. I've spent a fortune in my time, and this is the only thing that has worked. Also, always have an emery board handy, or you'll bite snagged nails and then carry on. I also rub on a bit of baby oil before sleep.
Buffer and wax - £7 in larger Boots and M&S, £5 in Superdrug.

I wear OPI Nail Envy when I'm not at work (I can't wear any nail product, wear latex/vinyl gloves and wash my hands 35-40 times a day at work) so my nails have a rough life smile

I'm at home with the DC this week, so the NE has been doing it's job but next week I'll need to remove it and file my nails.
It'll go back on with a passion before I go on holiday (yes) . I want to paint my own nails rather than use falsies.

I use Avoplex oil
I've tried NE Matte but I found that peeled.

Colours- I love "Aphrodites Pink Nightie" (it's on my toenails at the moment)
The Minnie Mouse ones are nice.

And if you are ever tempted by the glitter ones- they are fine as a top layer over colour. But I wore the Rainbow (from the Muppets Collection). A 3-4 layer coat looked fantastic. But it peeled off in chunks. Then was almost impossible to remove.

mirai Fri 02-Aug-13 06:58:26

I am just updating to say... I am still not biti my nails, which is amazing and a very good thing! However as a few people warned, the Nail Envy did indeed make my nails flake and peel. Unbelievable but there you go.

So, last weekend I bought the Mavala Scientifique and in just one application it has worked wonders with the peeling. I don't know what's in it but it's fab.

That said, the OPI polishes themselves I still think are marvellous, especially if you always use a top coat, the colours are great and it doesn't chip for a few days at least!

bigTillyMint Fri 05-Jul-13 17:34:55

I have crap nails, but I am an OPI convert! Love the base/top coat - it does make it last so much better, and I have a couple of colours, but I am itching to buy more. Where are you ordering from, mirai?

hollyisalovelyname Fri 05-Jul-13 17:31:56

Mavala has worked for me. Justinbieber thank you. I finally have long(er) nails. Used the Mavala and then had a Shellac manicure on my still short nails.... Voila 3 weeks later- long(er) nails.

mirai Sun 16-Jun-13 10:39:17

I've just ordered the OPI Little Teasers set! grin

LulaPalooza Fri 14-Jun-13 12:32:13

At the last count I had 135 but have been given a few more since and got some free with a magazine.

Plus I have a box of tools and stuff for nail art. YY to snipping cuticles (although apparently you're not supposed to. Whatevs.)

I have been totally suckered in by the nail polish industry, man.

YY to becoming obsessed, I decided to declutter my nail varnish collection this week, found I had 50 coloured polishes, plus various top and basecoats. Managed to choose 15 to get rid of.

mirai Fri 14-Jun-13 06:49:05

I think it might have already happened Lula... I bought a cuticle snipper at the weekend and oh my gosh isn't it great fun snipping off cuticles?!

I've been changing my polish every few days and even did accent nails on my ring fingers last time! grin

I still have only good things to say about the nail envy, you can even see one of my nails growing above my fingertip now if you know what I mean!! Yay!

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:38:22

Btw I think it is exactly the same as the foot cream, so save yourself some money and buy a big tube of that and use it on your cuticles.

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:31:37

Flexitol cream is amazing, been using it for the last week or so and the condition of my nails as well as the cuticles have really improved.

Nails Inc oil is good too but not as good as the Flexitol, but smells nicer imo.

HotSoupDumpling Thu 13-Jun-13 15:29:53

On the subject of cuticle oil (and only a small hijack here!) does anyone have any good recommendations? I have huge uneven cuticles and have only recently invested in some orange sticks. But no idea what I should do with the cuticles before I have a go at diminishing them!

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:24:37

Thanks prim smile

LulaPalooza Thu 13-Jun-13 15:05:43

Hurrah, well done mirai!

I agree, OPI polishes are really good.

Now you just have to try to resist becoming completely obsessed by nail polish and all things nails. I failed.

mirai Wed 12-Jun-13 13:07:50

Hi Lula, well I'm pleased to say there's been no more biting, I'm on the third colour of the four in the OPI set I bought and I have to say I've been really impressed with all of them. I do 2 coats Nail Envy, 2 of the colour and then seal with a nail envy on top. The colours seem to be chip proof, I don't know what I'm doing but I'm not complaining!

I'm off on hold next week so will have to have a look at that Dior Glow in duty free!! grin

primallass Tue 11-Jun-13 18:57:04
LulaPalooza Tue 11-Jun-13 18:39:58

mirai - congratulations on being an ex-nail biter! Once you stop it's amazing how quickly nails actually grow. How are they doing now?

Anyhoo, inspired by your thread and wanting long nails again, I have been religiously painting my nails every other day with Sally Hansen Maximum Growth followed by a coat of Dior Nail Glow

They both do exactly as they say on the tin. My nails are now all the same length, just over the tips of my fingers (whereas less than 2 weeks ago I only had actual white bits of nail on two nails). Plus they are shiny with a soft pink glow and just look healthy. Hurrah.

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 17:31:54

Ooooo what app is that?

primallass Fri 07-Jun-13 16:53:10

I like Nail Envy. Bizarrely what has stopped me biting them however is listening to a gastric band hypnosis app (they do a nail one too but this is working for me so I will keep going).

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 15:45:53

Mavala does that - you paint it on and it sinks straight into the nail.

mirai Fri 07-Jun-13 11:04:48

UPDATE: Well I have stopped biting my nails, mostly because the Nail Envy has formaldehyde in so it's a rather good deterrent!

So far so good, I did one week of just NE applied as per the rules,and then I did a manicure using two coats of NE as a base then the OPI nail polishes on top, followed by NE as a top coat. They haven't budged in days, no chips either, I'm really very impressed by the polish.

However I did think the NE stuff would sort of penetrate the nail and sink in, making it stronger, but it appears not to - so basically the nails with NE on feel strong but once the NE comes off then they feel thinner/weaker. Ideally I want something to actually thicken the nail from within. Is this even possible? Is this where a cuticle oil comes in?

valiumredhead Thu 06-Jun-13 18:21:38

Mavala really makes my nails grow but they still splitsad

Flexitol really helps though been using it a week now.

I've got no half moons at all, never have had, no idea why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now