I've just bought Nail Envy and some OPI minis - tell me they will transform my poor nails!

(59 Posts)
mirai Sun 26-May-13 07:19:56

I bit my nails when I was a child; I managed to stop all through uni then started up again the night I had a big row with a dick of an ex-BF!

Anyway... ever since then I have continued to bite, sometimes I manage to stop biting for a week or two and while they do grow they are so weak that I can even bend them. shock sad

SO, I have just bought some Nail Envy and the OPI Euro Centrale mini collection as a treat..

Please tell me that soon my nails will be looking long, strong and beautiful!! I've never tried OPI before so this is all new to me smile

LulaPalooza Tue 28-May-13 17:08:27

I found Solar OIl a bit rubbish, to be honest. it didn;t seem to make any difference to the condition of my nails or cuticles. Ordinary handcream rubbed in and left is just as effective, I think.

I was also a nail biter until 2009. I have a very short nail bed as a consequence and I appear to be going through a run of broken nails... and they always break right down at the nail bed angry

I like Sally Hansen Miracle Growth.

JustinBiebermakesmevom Tue 28-May-13 18:10:02

I found OPI Nail Envy utter pants (sorry !). Best thing I've used is a combination of Mavala and Flexitol Nail and Cuticle cream. I just use any old base coat over the Mavala and my nails are a lot better than they were about 2 months ago.

(www.amazon.co.uk/Mavala-Nail-Treatments-Scientifique-Hardener/sim/B000V6R1L4/2)

(www.amazon.co.uk/Flexitol-Cuticle-Nail-Cream-20g/dp/B001DZPUOM/ref=sr_1_2?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1369760885&sr=1-2&keywords=flexitol+nail+revitaliser+gel)

hollyisalovelyname Wed 29-May-13 00:07:08

I didn't find Nail envy good. Am trying Mavala now

I am an ex-nail biter. I was looking at my nails this morning thinking how nice they finally finally looked.

I found a couple of sets of acrylics were what I needed to get me started, they stopped me from biting/picking for six weeks and so got me over the worst bit. I think shellac would be a better way to do it, less damaging than acrylics. Anyway, I needed a few weeks when biting them wasn't an option so I was not tempted to bite them when growing them out.

Then I used Sally Hansen religiously for about a year. Now, I always try to keep them polished, whether it is with something clear or a colour. I have gel nails every now and again especially if they all break off and I want to grow them out a bit.

I carry a nail file around so when I do get breakages I can quickly fix it instead of being tempted to bite, I also find keeping them quite short and squarish helps.

I think it has taken ten years for my nails and my nail bed to properly recover. I am still very tempted to bite when I have a snaggy bit but generally I keep my fingers out of my mouth.

My nail bed is still short though which is frustrating, the white starts quite low down. I do get complimented on my nails a lot though and it is such a buzz after so many years of hiding them because I was so embarrassed.

mirai Wed 29-May-13 16:49:32

Well, if nothing else, if the Nail Envy is rubbish then I'm gonna have a ball going through all the other recommendations on here!!

Day 2, we have some growth but nothing to write home about yet... however my no.1 concern isn't really growth but getting those lovely hard, non-bendy nails that everyone else seems to have envy... Stay tuned!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Wed 29-May-13 21:35:36

Nail Envy wrecked my nails. They just started peeling off. shock

cornypedicure Wed 29-May-13 21:48:06

nail envy did nothing for my nails
nail varnish wrecks them
I've been using evening primrose oil on my face lately and my nails have improved a lot

JonesH Thu 06-Jun-13 11:29:23

I bought this OPI nail Strengthener which I think has helped, I used to also bite my nails ALOT when I was younger, think I stopped when I was 18 but they would be brittle due to years of biting, eventually over time they got stronger, I constantly have my nails manicured so as not to be tempted to bite them, always buy the best nail polish remover that helps keep nails strong and use these nail strengtheners, but naturally your nails will improve, keep filing them and should eventually do the trick.

hollyisalovelyname Thu 06-Jun-13 18:07:02

You know that half moon on your nail. Mine are hardly there at all. I wonder why. Mavala is working for me.
Nail Envy, Sally Hansen, Nail Magic, Revlon, Dr. Lewinns and many other 'miracle' workers did nothing for my nails

I've got no half moons at all, never have had, no idea why.

valiumredhead Thu 06-Jun-13 18:21:38

Mavala really makes my nails grow but they still splitsad

Flexitol really helps though been using it a week now.

mirai Fri 07-Jun-13 11:04:48

UPDATE: Well I have stopped biting my nails, mostly because the Nail Envy has formaldehyde in so it's a rather good deterrent!

So far so good, I did one week of just NE applied as per the rules,and then I did a manicure using two coats of NE as a base then the OPI nail polishes on top, followed by NE as a top coat. They haven't budged in days, no chips either, I'm really very impressed by the polish.

However I did think the NE stuff would sort of penetrate the nail and sink in, making it stronger, but it appears not to - so basically the nails with NE on feel strong but once the NE comes off then they feel thinner/weaker. Ideally I want something to actually thicken the nail from within. Is this even possible? Is this where a cuticle oil comes in?

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 15:45:53

Mavala does that - you paint it on and it sinks straight into the nail.

primallass Fri 07-Jun-13 16:53:10

I like Nail Envy. Bizarrely what has stopped me biting them however is listening to a gastric band hypnosis app (they do a nail one too but this is working for me so I will keep going).

valiumredhead Fri 07-Jun-13 17:31:54

Ooooo what app is that?

LulaPalooza Tue 11-Jun-13 18:39:58

mirai - congratulations on being an ex-nail biter! Once you stop it's amazing how quickly nails actually grow. How are they doing now?

Anyhoo, inspired by your thread and wanting long nails again, I have been religiously painting my nails every other day with Sally Hansen Maximum Growth followed by a coat of Dior Nail Glow

They both do exactly as they say on the tin. My nails are now all the same length, just over the tips of my fingers (whereas less than 2 weeks ago I only had actual white bits of nail on two nails). Plus they are shiny with a soft pink glow and just look healthy. Hurrah.

primallass Tue 11-Jun-13 18:57:04
mirai Wed 12-Jun-13 13:07:50

Hi Lula, well I'm pleased to say there's been no more biting, I'm on the third colour of the four in the OPI set I bought and I have to say I've been really impressed with all of them. I do 2 coats Nail Envy, 2 of the colour and then seal with a nail envy on top. The colours seem to be chip proof, I don't know what I'm doing but I'm not complaining!

I'm off on hold next week so will have to have a look at that Dior Glow in duty free!! grin

LulaPalooza Thu 13-Jun-13 15:05:43

Hurrah, well done mirai!

I agree, OPI polishes are really good.

Now you just have to try to resist becoming completely obsessed by nail polish and all things nails. I failed.

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:24:37

Thanks prim smile

HotSoupDumpling Thu 13-Jun-13 15:29:53

On the subject of cuticle oil (and only a small hijack here!) does anyone have any good recommendations? I have huge uneven cuticles and have only recently invested in some orange sticks. But no idea what I should do with the cuticles before I have a go at diminishing them!

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:31:37

Flexitol cream is amazing, been using it for the last week or so and the condition of my nails as well as the cuticles have really improved.

Nails Inc oil is good too but not as good as the Flexitol, but smells nicer imo.

valiumredhead Thu 13-Jun-13 15:38:22

Btw I think it is exactly the same as the foot cream, so save yourself some money and buy a big tube of that and use it on your cuticles.

mirai Fri 14-Jun-13 06:49:05

I think it might have already happened Lula... I bought a cuticle snipper at the weekend and oh my gosh isn't it great fun snipping off cuticles?!

I've been changing my polish every few days and even did accent nails on my ring fingers last time! grin

I still have only good things to say about the nail envy, you can even see one of my nails growing above my fingertip now if you know what I mean!! Yay!

YY to becoming obsessed, I decided to declutter my nail varnish collection this week, found I had 50 coloured polishes, plus various top and basecoats. Managed to choose 15 to get rid of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now