I've just bought Nail Envy and some OPI minis - tell me they will transform my poor nails!

(59 Posts)
mirai Sun 26-May-13 07:19:56

I bit my nails when I was a child; I managed to stop all through uni then started up again the night I had a big row with a dick of an ex-BF!

Anyway... ever since then I have continued to bite, sometimes I manage to stop biting for a week or two and while they do grow they are so weak that I can even bend them. shock sad

SO, I have just bought some Nail Envy and the OPI Euro Centrale mini collection as a treat..

Please tell me that soon my nails will be looking long, strong and beautiful!! I've never tried OPI before so this is all new to me smile

KittieCat Sun 26-May-13 07:22:50

I'm in a v similar position. Serial nail biter, v weak nails and I'm currently using Revlon, which is good but keen to hear thoughts on OPI...

SundaySimmons Sun 26-May-13 07:30:27

Best thing for nails inbetween polish and treatments is a tiny dop of olive oil massaged into nails before bed.

I have gel nails most of the time but occasionally have a break and the olive oil works miracles.

mirai Sun 26-May-13 08:07:47

Welcome to my club KittieCat smile

Thanks for the tip Sunday!

mirai Sun 26-May-13 09:45:34

Bumping for some OPI reviews and tips! smile

mirai Sun 26-May-13 14:28:15

Well Kittie I shall be sure to come back here and let you know how I got on!! grin

KittieCat Mon 27-May-13 21:27:57

Please do! I've already tried olive oil and am now twitching about ordering some Solar Oil. Hard habit to break but I. reckon if I can keep my nails in a halfway decent state I'll be less tempted...

Snog Tue 28-May-13 07:55:05

I love OPI
Don't have nail envy but can vouch for Avoplex and the nail varnishes are very good

HotSoupDumpling Tue 28-May-13 08:02:11

Love OPI. Learning to use their base coat and top coat has made the colour look better and last way longer.

I use NE all the time during week. I have thin, bendy nails so keep them shortish. I got into NE through MN . Think what you do ( or this is what I do anyway) is apply a coat or two, then top it up every other day for a few days. When I do this my nails look great and grow. I find if I use nail varnish remover too often it wrecks my nails , so I do colour only if I'm going out. In between, when I don't have nail varnish on I rub Jessica Phenomenoil in ( essentially almond oil which is cheaper ) to keep my cuticles soft.

I've found the opposite with Nail Envy, it peels too easily once a few layers are built up on top of it, either through the every other day thing or by using it as a basecoat, this damages the surface of the nails. I have basically sound nails, my main issue is that I love to wear polish but doing it too often does damage them, whether that's the polish or the remover I don't know. I would definitely rub some sort of oil / cream in a couple of times a day.

Bertrude Tue 28-May-13 08:18:37

Can I join the crappy nails club too?

I'm not just a serial biter but I pick my cuticles too blush so most of the time my nails look awful.

I treated myself to a manicure last night to get them tidy so that I can start growing them properly for my holidays (8 weeks and counting).

I love the Opi polishes and have used them for a while on my toes, but my poor knarled hands never get a look in. The colours are fab!

Haven't seen the Nail Envy before <plots shopping trip to buy some>

mirai Tue 28-May-13 11:25:38

Ooh they've arrived! I'm going to set to work immediately. Can I use the nail envy as a base coat under another colour or would that not work when the time comes to give it another coat? Probably not huh sad

southeastastra Tue 28-May-13 11:30:12

don't get on with nail envy either, but the varnishes are fab, have on every day is octoberfest at the mo.

southeastastra Tue 28-May-13 11:30:33

to match the autumn weather grin.

I didn't like Nail Envy. Like WhoKnows, I found it peeled off really easily, usually taking the top layer of my nail with it and my nails were worse than ever after using it.

Leighton Denny cuticle oil or almond oil, applied and rubbed into my nails whenever I remembered made the biggest difference.

Casmama Tue 28-May-13 12:14:45

You could use nail envy then colour but to be honest I never found the nail envy dried properly when used on top of colour.
I would say either a double coat of nail envy then colour then topcoat but you won't get the most out of the nail envy.
Or double coat of NE. Then a single coat every two days. Remove after 1 week then start again and after about two weeks go with colour as above.

mirai Tue 28-May-13 12:43:06

Casmama I'm going with your choice, doing it the 'right way' at first and then adding some colour... which is hard now as the colours in that pack are sooo pretty, maybe I'll have to do my toes this weekend instead!

Kitty, well first impressions are that although it's dried like a clear varnish, it went on and dried a lot quicker than normal varnish does. I keep looking at my nails hoping they'll start to grow but nothing's happening yet grin

mirai Tue 28-May-13 12:44:41

Going with your advice I meant... gosh I'm so tired right now!

Snog Tue 28-May-13 12:58:44

Try Avoplex instead of Nail Envy
I also rate the OPI base and top coats

KittieCat Tue 28-May-13 15:07:06

Sending nail growing vibes, mirai!

Do update when you've had it for a bit. I'm still twitching over the Solar Oil...

BalloonSlayer Tue 28-May-13 15:16:07

Nail envy did nothing for me.

I don't bite my nails but they are so thin and weak, one or other if them would break every day, I'd have to carry a nail file around with me as I couldn't bear the constant rough ragged edges. It didn't matter what I tried, nail envy, the other brands - nothing worked.

Then I got shellac nails done! They look fabulous, for the first time in my life I have lovely nails. They have even grown massively but guess what? I have decided I don't like myself with long nails and I have to ask for them to be cut each time.

KittieCat Tue 28-May-13 15:25:02

BalloonSlayer I've been thinking about Shellac, too. Does it not ruin your nails when it is removed, though?

BalloonSlayer Tue 28-May-13 16:03:58

I don't know Kittie, I just have another lot put on.

I have known people who only have it put on from time to time - for high days and holidays etc - and their nails seem fine when it isn't on.

Mine did start to break again even with the shellac on and I googled and it said to avoid nail places where they use the hand drill to get it off. The place where I go are buggers for blasting it all off with the hand drill after a quite brief time spent with your hands in the solution. So for the last 2 or 3 times I have requested firmly but politely every time: "Please don't use the drill" and they have gone hmm but haven't used it and my nails are fine now.

KittieCat Tue 28-May-13 16:11:38

Removal with a drill doesn't sound like it'd do your nails any favours! Think I might try shellac and solar oil and see how I go, then. Minus the drill removal, of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now