Understatedly sexy for day-to-day

(41 Posts)
TeamJesse Thu 23-May-13 12:04:02

How? What sort of outfit would that mean to you? I'm (obviously) not talking high heels and plunging necklines, and I don't mean looking knockout every day either, rather moving away from jeans and verging-on-studenty outfits into grown-up, wearable subtlety - for a SAHM, not office wear.

Any ideas?!

TeamJesse Fri 24-May-13 21:05:56

Yes, those are good examples - and I agree; the relaxed outfit with an unexpected bit of sexiness (tight skirt / split / high heels) does the trick.

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Fri 24-May-13 10:34:05

Nonchalant sexiness for me is an outfit that is generally quite casual with an element of sexiness or formality to it

sexy skirt and everyday jumper.

Not a fan of real fur but you get the idea

monochrome

I think this works when getting glammed up too, just up the sexiness one little notch. Someone said 'Wear you fur coat like a cloth one and a cloth like your fur'.

TeamJesse Fri 24-May-13 10:25:16

It had never occurred to me that collarbones and wrists can be sexy! I see women with hour glass figures like yours, lovely curvy bosoms, and always feel a bit awestruck. If I tried to show a bit of cleavage, everyone would look away and feel slightly embarrassed for me.

MadBusLady Fri 24-May-13 09:58:26

Gosh, I'd have said you've got the best figure for nonchalant sexiness! I'd love to be able to drift around in skinny jeans and floaty tops and do the whole sexy collarbones and wrists thing like gamine people can. I am an hour-glass, stunning in a wiggle dress, so-so in everything else.

TeamJesse Fri 24-May-13 09:45:22

I agree about the ballet shoes Sunday - I love them but there's no way dh thinks they're sexy.

I'm slim and have more of a boyish/gamine look, which is fine, I like it - but not conducive to being nonchalantly sexy! I can wear a great dress and heels on a night out, but in my sahm life would struggle to put something together that might have a small suggestion of sexiness to it.

SundaySimmons Fri 24-May-13 07:36:37

Vogue have a style file section where you can choose a celebrity and see their style

www.vogue.co.uk/topic/style-file

Sadly one direction are on there, but just ignore that section! Ha!

SundaySimmons Fri 24-May-13 07:28:27

I have never met a man who likes or thinks ballet shoes are sexy!

Deportment is key to looking sexy so if you walk like a gorilla it will kill any outfit immediately!

Sexy on one woman will not be sexy on another. Nigella lawson can look sexy but she has a completely different figure to mine and I would look matronly in her clothes!

Vanessa Paradis always looks sexy to me so I sometimes look t what she is wearing.

Wiggy29 Thu 23-May-13 22:55:04

Depends on your figure I guess, are there any celeb's whose style you admire? To me Cameron Diaz, Gwyneth Paltrow, Beyonce, Danni Minogue, Whitney Port etc are all sexy yet hav v.different style. There are two blogs I really like for style, one called 'buy now blog later' and the other 'cupcakes and cashmere'. Mostly out of my price range but great inspiRation.

ivanapoo Thu 23-May-13 22:05:40

Silky drapey tops... What's your budget? Donna Karan I think does gorgeous understated stuff but you're talking thousands - at the other end of the scale, I've got good pieces from Zara and Warehouse, believe it or not...

It's an aura....a lot of French women have it damm them
Agree with Sleep the just-got-out-of-bed look works for some , not for others. Think it's to do with confidence.
For me...I'd say keep it simple ,wear tailored clothes that fit properly and don't hide your body, grooming goes a long way not fake anything though, subtle perfume every day.

TeamJesse Thu 23-May-13 20:26:57

Interesting answers! I'd also like to see some links. I don't actually want to look sexy every day but I was interested in what sexy dressing would be when not evening wear / going for a date or whatever; and occasionally I go and meet dh for lunch and wouldn't mind looking a bit - in a very subtle way, you understand - sexy. But still myself.

Agree that confidence plays a role. Also polished nails and general good grooming. I think a lot of it is attitude. I agree with MadBusLady about pencil skirt, smudgy eyeliner, hair loosely/messily up. Pencil skirt doesn't really work for SAHM but the hair and eyeliner would.

A friend of mine often shows slightly more cleavage than strictly necessary, often has a flash of a lacy (usually coloured) bra showing, always wears fitted clothes (tight trousers, stretch shirt). She does look sexy but it's a little too obvious. I'm interested in some nonchalant sort of sexiness, I suppose. But as lots of you have said already, it's probably mostly attitude anyway.

Sexy is very subjective, I don't think you can give a prescription to dress in certain things and the wearer will immediately be sexy! There's also a difference between feeling sexy yourself and others finding you sexy smile.

IMO it is about being comfortable and confident in your own skin and clothes. Being interested in other people and having a great sense of humour. Good grooming - clean hair, well kept nails and skin and clothes that flatter your figure and colouring all help but there will always be exceptions, some people ooze sexy even if grungily dressed and smelly!

If you are looking for a "style" OP, have you tried searching on pinterest or just starting your own board of looks you like, pinning pics of celebs or items of clothes/hair/accessories etc that you think look good and may fit into your lifestyle? You will probably see a theme emerging and can adapt it to suit you.

MadBusLady Thu 23-May-13 18:06:34

SkinheadMermaid Totally agree. I adore the colours in Mint Velvet but I look as sexy as a sack of spuds in slouchy stuff.

Fillyjonk75 Thu 23-May-13 18:06:29

A leather jacket. A new shorter and foxy hair cut.

SerotoninCanEatTomorrow Thu 23-May-13 18:02:23

Bugger, I'm destined to be podgy and frumpy aren't I?

noddyholder Thu 23-May-13 17:54:20

Agree lifeofpo you can't fake sexy. I think too much make up is def not sexy

LifeofPo Thu 23-May-13 17:14:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Skinheadmermaid Thu 23-May-13 17:12:35

Oh and Zara do some lovely blouses in a sort of silk material, they look really expensive and rather sexy (i think anyway,i'm a recent convert to Zara after being too scared to go in for years!)

Skinheadmermaid Thu 23-May-13 17:09:51

Glass not class!

Skinheadmermaid Thu 23-May-13 17:09:08

It depends on your figure as well. Someone tall and straight up and down can look sexy in a pair of black skinny jeans and slouchy mens shirt with a lacy vest just peeking out. Someone with an hour class shape might look better in a dress.
I think full make up (including lipstick, eyeliner etc) and a hair style that suits you is a must. And painted nails.

noddyholder Thu 23-May-13 17:06:24

I agree with blouse. Semi fitted with a bit of movement. Not too many accessories and slim bottom half. Loose clean natural hair

Nehru Thu 23-May-13 17:03:39

NOT NOT NOT those awful polyester tea dresses baggy cardigans and leggings

GOPPING

Nehru Thu 23-May-13 17:03:11

a BLOUSE

always works

milk Thu 23-May-13 16:51:40

Sexy= oozing with confidence!

HeyMicky Thu 23-May-13 16:33:25

I read an article about this recently. They talked about 3 piece dressing - think Elle McPherson, Stella McCartney, Gwyneth Paltrow.

- Skinny jeans, maybe even leather trousers.
- Good quality knit tshirt, round neck or high V
- Blazer or tuxedo jacket

Wear with ballet flats, ankle boots or a pointy toed mid heel. Big sunglasses. No statement necklace, no scarves.

Apparently this is the epitome of chic, and pretty mindless when it comes to getting dressed if you keep everything in the same colour palette.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now