The Crepe Escape

(1000 Posts)
Cremolafoam Thu 16-May-13 22:48:55

We were getting to the end.smile

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 17:43:11

Welcome back, MrsS. I'm shocked at your freeloading friends, though - how thick-skinned?!

BTM - if it were our DS, DH would be all for the immediate banning of privileges and I'd be the one letting him off with a stern warning about future consequences. I do think you need to give a warning for big punishments (i.e. tell him his participation in the trip depends on no detentions/trouble during the term), so it's possibly a little unfair.....but then DH says I'm a big softy for not running the house like a military academy.

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 17:45:42

Choc Raspberry cake is now out of the oven. It has risen nicely but looks a little more, er, brown than perhaps it should. Now where's that fudge camouflage icing recipe?

motherinferior Sat 29-Jun-13 17:48:46

Bar of dark choc, 25g butter, tbsp of golden syrup. Melt and slosh over.

bigTillyMint Sat 29-Jun-13 17:51:36

CV same scenario in our house! I think it would be better to tell him that he could earn the trip by putting things right... Off to pub soon so we will discuss!

And the fudgey icing is yum!

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 17:52:09

Brill, thank you, MI. I was just about to sift through the thread looking for it. thanks

hattymattie Sat 29-Jun-13 17:52:55

I'm with CV - warning before big punishments - then again I'm absolutely useless at this - I always threaten and never do anything. DS even told MiL once when I threatened to smack his bottom - it's alright she'll never do it.

I'm not sure about beards - I only like it with long hair and I think this is as a result of watching too many films with dwarves, elves etc. There is a very nice young man in Picard (french Iceland) who has long hair and beard and looks like an extra from some fantasy film. Then again there are three rather nice young men in there - I think the manageress has pretty good taste. Needless to say, my freezer is full grin

motherinferior Sat 29-Jun-13 17:56:00

Cake is meant to be brown btw!

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 18:06:29

Cake now drizzled with brown fudgy stuff and duly Instagrammed by DD1. smile

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 29-Jun-13 18:13:34

Hatty - you cannot compare Picard with Iceland, you simply cannot. Picard is like Waitrose on Ice. Not a prawn ring in sight. I don't know how I am going to cope with it when I move back to London. Presumably by substituting Waitrose?

The cake sounds yummy. I may make it tomorrow. As I am surprisingly still in credit post holiday, we are going out for pizza tonight to the new local Italian, which used to be the best Lebanese in Paris. sad

hattymattie Sat 29-Jun-13 18:19:41

Welcome back Mrs S - haven't been to Iceland in years but if I just say Picard nobody'll know what I'm on about. I'd be lost without it though; smile

MI we're now very nifty at the fudge icing. Went down a treat with the French kids at DS's birthday tea.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 29-Jun-13 18:45:02

I included Picard in MI's sightseeing tour of Paris, Hatty. grin We cooed over the artichoke bottoms, the frozen herbs, the frozen grilled vegetables, the frozen mushroom selections, the sauces...

Stropperella Sat 29-Jun-13 19:19:05

We're in the car on the way back from Gatwick. I think I have had the least restful and relaxed holiday of my life. We were looking after a nutty old cat who woke me up at 4.30am every morning yowling. If I didn't give it food at that point, it didn't get any quieter. Plus I ended up with a double dose of of dh's erstwhile SD and family and a shed load of historical stress which she dug up. Not my history, but all the crap that went down with dh and his first wife and her 4 kids (all astounding parasites, now in their 40s and 50s). Men.
However, dcs German lessons v successful. Bier gut and swimming in Danube also gut.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 29-Jun-13 19:24:39

Strops, I had the most miserable year of my life in Vienna, but it was redeemed slightly by summer swimming in the Danube (did you do Alt or Neu?), and topfenstrudel. I went back for work before Christmas and all of my depression and angst came rushing back. Can you go on another holiday now to recover?

Stropperella Sat 29-Jun-13 19:25:17

That "men" was supposed to be a "meh".:-)

motherinferior Sat 29-Jun-13 19:27:00

Jeeezus, Stropps, that sounds appalling.

I am ignoring the grumpies and lolling on my bed with a pile of books (vg charity shop haul today plus sell-offs from local library) and a glass of cava kindly poured by DP who is producing burgers and chips for the various girls. I can hear them from up here. Am up to date on all the Y5 gossip. Anya's crush on Matty appears to have replaced Katy's crush on Matty, in case anyone was interested...

Stropperella Sat 29-Jun-13 19:36:47

I bloody well never even got a strudel, MrsS. <<deprived>>. It was the Alt and was one of the v hot days. Yes, I'm contemplating another holiday BY MYSELF. Although Vienna was v lovely, I didn't get much of a chance to enjoy it IYKWIM. Bloody frustrating.

bigTillyMint Sat 29-Jun-13 20:38:20

Oh Stropps, what a shame - you so needed a bit of a relaxing and enjoyable time. And no strudel!

I quite fancy a holiday by myself too.

CointreauVersial Sat 29-Jun-13 21:10:37

Note to self - don't wear white jeans while making/eating chocolatey cake. It was very nice (in the middle), but the fudge icing couldn't hide the taste of singed cake-crust.

I liked Vienna. I was there for a few days while InterRailing as a student, but managed to lose my passport, so had to make a mercy dash to the embassy. I remember being quite overcome by the English-ness of the place (pictures of cricket and the Queen on the wall) that I burst into tears of homesickness and cried on the nice ambassador's shoulder. I went back on a business trip in the late 1990s and the dizzy travel agent booked me into the Hotel Sacher by mistake. grin My suite room had cherubs painted on the ceiling and a bathroom the size of a tennis court, and every night my bed was turned down with a giant Sachertorte on the pillow in place of the usual chocolate.

Cremolafoam Sat 29-Jun-13 21:24:35

Oh me too girls. Holiday alone would be bliss. I actually spent today dreaming of same having gone down a list of friends who might be interested in coming with me and deciding that alone would infinitely better.
Dd and dh went out this morning to some Greenpeace thingy and I had the hoose to myself for 4 hours before work . It was BLISS. I can't even explain why !
But dh has been off sick for 3 months now and has mostly been stuck to the sofa . I suddenly realised I'm sick looking at himblush I know that's awful , but I'm so ruddy bored with being a hotelierbiscuit

Welcome back Stropps and mrs s.
shock At stepchildren
shock At skinflint friends

Blackduck Sun 30-Jun-13 07:39:43

Oh Stropps that sounds dreadful - poor you! Yes, to a holiday alone!
MrsS are these your usual skintflint friends, or a different set?

We finally got some one in to quote for boiler (first step on the way to the bathroom) ...... I also got some more herbs and have made further inroads on the garden.

Have decided we need to find something energetic for ds to do as he can't sit still and drives us all mad.

hattymattie Sun 30-Jun-13 08:35:44

Aagh - I think I've got a mouse behind the skirting board. Scratching in the bedroom all night - of course DH says leave it and it'll go away. It was not him that was kept awake.

hattymattie Sun 30-Jun-13 08:48:03

Actually just been upstairs and found an enormous dying beetle in front of the skirting board where I heard the scuffling. I'm crossing fingers it was that.

Stropp's I'm sorry your Holiday was so fraught.

I'm hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight before the Eurostar early tomorrow morning.

MaybeBentley Sun 30-Jun-13 09:05:46

I'm totally confused (nothing new here then) but what is this thread's theme. I want to join the convo with all you lovely people, but don't understand what it is about.

motherinferior Sun 30-Jun-13 09:50:19

The overall theme is, essentially, er, sort of S&B for those of us staggering into our late 40s/50s..do join us!

Don't forget my thread title suggestion of the Crepes of Froth (on phone again).

MaybeBentley Sun 30-Jun-13 09:55:04

Definitely me then! And definitely staggering (or crawling on hands and knees at times) ... every joint hurts today so feeling nearer 80.

This thread is not accepting new messages.