What to wear

(52 Posts)
cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 14:23:29

Ladies can I have your opinion on this dress? Planning to wear to a wedding, maybe with shortish navy jacket. I'm late 40s and a size 16 5'8". www.fennwrightmanson.com/dresses/olivia_dress_multi.htm

cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 22:30:32

Thanks again stylish people. I've ordered some dresses from Boden so fingers crossed!

]]http://www.johnlewis.com/kaliko-butterfly-embroidered-dress-mid-blue/p391541 Blue and v cheap]]

Awks Sun 12-May-13 20:57:48

That havren stuff is a bit worky though.

Awks Sun 12-May-13 20:56:37

Remus maybe I am desperately clinging to my yoof grin. It's all academic isn't it anyway, none of us care about fashion but we want to be stylish and whether its Miss s, topshop, mint velvet or baukjen when you find what works you stick with it. Hope OP finds a fabulous dress that makes her feel like sex on legs.

babybarrister Sun 12-May-13 20:43:17

have a look at Havren as well - now stocked by John Lewis and designers came from FWM

www.johnlewis.com/search/havren?_requestid=2086771

PenelopePortrait Sun 12-May-13 20:41:36

TSS's Hobbs Lupin Print Dress is lovely

Awks - I often see lovely beaded camisoles etc online but then look in store and the fabric is not nice. You can get away with it when young and skinny but it's harder to look okay when you're older imho.

Awks Sun 12-May-13 20:34:57

I love Miss Selfridge. Do you 2 go in there just to jeer or to set fire to the viscose grin

middleagedspread Sun 12-May-13 18:36:25

I love the Olivia dress. Perfect for a summer wedding.
My only reservation is the length, if you're tall like the model is would be perfect but I wonder if it might be a bit frumpy on anyone much shorter?

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 18:30:34

I do agree Remus, Miss Selfridge is full of polyester. Some of the stuff looks nice from a distance but the fabric is dreadful.

Exactly - the fabric, fit and cut are what matter: and Miss Selfridge is cut for 14 year olds with v cheap fabric, I think. It certainly was last time I looked. Miss S was brilliant for me as a v v skinny 20 year old; it is far from brilliant for me now that I am a size 12 40something.

Awks Sun 12-May-13 17:18:35

the JL personal shopper idea is a good one, they bring stuff you'd never dare try and more often than not once you've peeled your fingers from your eyes it looks nice grin

Awks Sun 12-May-13 17:16:57

I think it's bollocks that cheaper dresses don't look nice past 45! The cost doesnt matter, its the fabric, the fit and the cut that matter. I'm a 14, 5'8" and 47 so comparable to the OP and I dont think we have to be looking in CC just yet.

If you are long bodied OP, you may be disappointed with Boden as they won't fit.

That Next one looks nice, and so does the red jersey one.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 16:56:13

I just know I suffer from rearview issues in jersey stuff as am an apple so that's where my weight always is.

You could always pop into john lewis and get the personal shopper to find you something.

cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 16:39:01

Good point Mrs CB. Probably make me look enormous. I'm going to order a couple of things from Boden and see what they're like. If I can't find anything else I will keep the frumpy dress, perhaps I could get it shortened.... I will just make sure I'm not in any photos so there's no record of my frumpiness. grin

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 16:33:35

reiss - I think they cut for taller women

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 16:30:29

The only thing with the jersey dress is I wonder how forgiving it is from behind?

cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 16:26:44

strappy not stroppy

cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 16:25:46

What about this if I get some stroppy sandals? www.isabellaoliver.com/baukjen/uk/600/dresses/DR484.html

noddyholder Sun 12-May-13 16:19:26

I love a kaftan too We are moving house and going on holiday all in a short time so some of my clothes are in storage Need cheapish. Will look at zara although would like to use my next £35 card

cockaleekie Sun 12-May-13 16:14:35

Nice dresses on Whistles but I can guarantee they will be too short for me, probably about mid thigh - a lot of high street brands are tailored for someone about 5'5" I think and I am a good 5'8".

Also I agree with poster who said that cheaper dresses are hard to get away with as you get older which is why I was looking at fwm and jaeger though I would be really happy to get something cheaper.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 12-May-13 16:14:10

Are you off on hols Noddy?

I like a kaftan and Zara always good for them. Or I got a couple of beach dresses in h&m last year but haven't looked recently. We're going to Wales so am assuming a fleece will be more useful.

Gap have some nice stuff at the moment too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now