Most expensive fashion mishap/mistake

(45 Posts)
ProveYourLoveToMe Thu 09-May-13 13:09:03

Make me feel better about having to spend £15 to return some frickin' shoes!

YoniTime Sat 11-May-13 14:27:53

I've also spent £15 to return crap. It sucks.
Also...I keep buying naice expensive things that are just a tiny bit too small. No I won't lose that weight - and my shoulders and feet won't shrink!

DolomitesDonkey Sat 11-May-13 13:13:37

Worriedmumof8 has just reminded me of the 300 quid cashmere dress I inexpicably shoved in the washing machine with a BRAND NEW RED COAT. shock

The results were inevitable. I contacted the designer and asked her to have a scoot around her warehouse/back of radiator but alas all gone. Luckily though, I managed to get the same dress BNWT from Ebay for 24 quid! <faints>

novelsituation Sat 11-May-13 11:51:09

Last Winter I bought a coat from Brora - blackcurrant / dark green tartan. Wore it once and felt a bit grannyish. Going to try to rescue it with an absract floral scarf from Cos this Winter, but suspect I've made an expensive mistake (sob)

Worriedmumofan8yearoldgirl Sat 11-May-13 11:29:17

£185 jaeger dress I bought for £40 dh washed in the machine only to then see the 'dry clean only' label. To be fair it is 100% cotton so don't get why it's dry clean only.

Anyway. The fabric faded after that wash

Notcontent Fri 10-May-13 22:45:34

I went through a stage when I used retail therapy to get through a tough time, with some dire results!!!

An expensive pair of jigsaw boots that were half a size too small.
A pair of APC trousers that were a size too big - I got them taken in but they were never quite right.
I could go on and on.

I am now quite a careful shopper but still make mistakes.

I am shock at the shitty White Company. What a pile of wank.

Corygal Fri 10-May-13 17:47:19

Pinkflip - that lady is a liar and a scoundrel.

My worst mistake was a holey Iro jersey. It is lovely and heavenly soft, hand-knitted alpaca, woven from unicorn's breath by parisienne elves, etc. but it makes me look like a damaged draught excluder.

Ebay, horrendously undersold.

Pinkflipflop Fri 10-May-13 17:39:47

Yes condescending cow said cashmere was meant to look piled and I needed to know that it was a sign of a quality product. The fact that 2 giant holes appeared in the cardigan rendering it unwearable added more to its expensive look, she assured me. hmm

I will NEVER shop there again!

Witch

LulaPalooza Fri 10-May-13 15:50:44

Oh God. Customs bills. I recently bought a pair of Uggs on Ebay which haven't arrived yet and I think the cost of the customs bill is going to make them more spenny than buying them here. Am so stupid.

There are many, many things lurking in my wardrobe and in two ruddy great big storage bags under the bed which have either been worn once, or not at all. Due to shopping when pre-menstrual.

There's a particularly lurid frock which makes me look like Sue Pollard's fatter more "zany" sister which cost me £120.

rubylovescheese Fri 10-May-13 11:38:22

my white company cashmere socks developed holes v v quickly. they only went from bed to loo and back. now they're so holey but still wearing them. will need ideas for some for next winter.
javotte am having nightmare thoughts of similar customs bills!

Sorry, I complained about cashmere socks splitting and was told never ever to wear them out of bed, even for loo visits. Their customer service is crap.

Pinkflipflop, I think I had the same condescending cow from the white company. I com

A pair of Miu Miu flat shoes, most uncomfortable shoes ever. I think I wore then twice. And they weren't on sale blush

ProveYourLoveToMe Fri 10-May-13 11:19:12

Swedish hasbeens going all the way back to Sweden. They're faulty, so p&p should be refunded, but we'll see...

Some Gucci shoes that were about £300 in the sale. Gucci don't make shoes for normal feet, I have fairly narrow feet but these are too skinny. If there's anyone out there with really narrow size 3/4 feet that wants to make me an offer???

Everything I ever purchased non-sale price from APC.
Also a Commes des Garcons cardigan.

Emperors new bollocks.
Did well reselling though, so no physical damage done.grin

YoniOno Fri 10-May-13 10:56:31

Pinkflipflop shock

OP where is charging you £15 to return shoes?! Name and shame.

everlong Fri 10-May-13 10:26:51

Same turkey.
DH thought he was doing the right thing by buying me a Mulberry Bayswater. It was gorgeous but when you put your purse, phone and other shite the damn thing was too heavy.

It went on eBay blush

3hens Fri 10-May-13 09:56:23

Oh Pinkflip did someone really say that?? Nice customer service. (Not)

Pinkflipflop Fri 10-May-13 09:23:57

£135 cardigan from White Company that piled horrifically after first wear.

Condescending cow from the company said I should educate myself as to how expensive clothes should look hmm

turkeyboots Fri 10-May-13 09:10:44

Lovely green Mulberry bag. Blew whole bonus on it. Bastard thing is sooo heavy empty that I gave up using it after a week. It now glares at me from the wardrobe.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 10-May-13 09:09:23

£140 Kurt Geiger shoes that I've worn all of twice because they just kill the balls of my feet. I calculate the value of clothing in price per wear, so despite not being the most expensive footwear I own at £70 per wear they turned out the worst value.

javotte Fri 10-May-13 09:05:49

Two pairs of shoes from a US website, 10 years ago. They cost about $100, but I had to pay 75 euros of custom duties. angry
It turned out the website had got its size conversion chart wrong. The shoes were 2 sizes too small and I never wore them.

AgeingFop Fri 10-May-13 09:01:00

Bought DW an expensive (for me, anyway, over £100) pair of black leather leather knee high boots which she loved. But the sole kept coming unstuck, glued back on by two different cobblers, and then myself to no avail. Eventually, she got so frustrated with the sole flapping about yet again that she stopped wearing them.

Bought off the internet, too worn and late to return!

FrugalFashionista Fri 10-May-13 07:19:56

Foxy slip in sheepskin insoles?
They feel fantastic, no bulk, and will probably improve the fit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now