in search of the perfect nail varnish

(63 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Tue 07-May-13 21:11:53

like you get in nail bars - the sort of neutral/pinky shade that makes your nails just look healthy, that resists chipping and doesnt need top coat. a boring topic i know but i cant afford a proper manicure or pedicure and my nails look manky

I've got Maybelline Forever Strong Pro in Nude Rose and Really Rosy, both are lovely, Really Rosy is a deeper shade.

valiumredhead Mon 13-May-13 22:02:40

Is it wrong to be excited about new nail polish? blush <shallow>

No it's very right!

LulaPalooza Tue 14-May-13 17:24:51

What WhoKnows said with bells on.

Caveat re: the Cutex/ SV trick... I have only ever tried it with the Cutex moisturising stuff. I don't know if it works with other versions of their remover or any other brand.

Today I am wearing Essie Chinchilly with a top coat of Essie Shine of the Times. It looks a bit like this except that pic is with Nubar Chiffon instead of Essie Chinchilly. Same overall look.

Not at all neutral though. So a bit off topic. Sorry.

That looks nice Lula. I have quite a collection of glitters but mainly only wear them (and deeper bolder colours) in winter. I find the glittery ones a real pain to get off.

I put on the Nude Rose last night, but one nail has chipped already. I'm trying out the No7 base and topcoats with it, after having seen people recommend them on here. So, base coat has a black mark for chipping within 24 hours and top coat isn't all that shiny. Hmm.

thepurplepenguin Tue 14-May-13 18:34:38

This may already have been mentioned, but cosmetics are 3 for 2 in superdrug atm.

I got the maybelline rose poudre 7 day gel finish and 2 others in the same range (not so neutral!) for £8.18.

Re top coat, the no 7 one chips on me, but have just started using the revlon colour stay gel finish top coat which is amazing.

BlueSkySunnyDay Tue 14-May-13 18:47:11

I said on a thread about opi earlier - I am hell on varnish on my fingernails but when I do bother I use OPI Tickle my france-y this one

Ooh, I've got that one Blue - it is lovely.

eggybrokenoff Wed 15-May-13 08:24:21

wow just checked back on this thread randomly after a few days as thought it was finished - best nail advice ever! tried rimmel salon pro - bit streaky. def going to try the mabelline one sounds ideal. was going to get seche top coat but might try mabelline one first. my nauks always chip and thought an expensive top coat might help - but maybe i'll try a semi decent base and top coat first!

BlueSkySunnyDay Wed 15-May-13 10:32:57

Actually I shouldnt have come on these nail threads - I have just looked on google images at the colours in the OPI "top 10" set, I now just HAVE TO buy 4. Luckily Fragrance Direct seem to have them - so I guess not as expensive as it could have been grin

No willpower!

eggybrokenoff Wed 15-May-13 10:58:33

i shouldnt have started ever looking on style pages. i now am planning in buying things i never knew existed! and finding out about websites i never knew existed!

mamalovesmojitos Wed 15-May-13 11:05:43

Gosh nail polish in 'silk' is my fave. Bit cheaper than essie too. I use seche vite for darker colours but don't need it with silk.

BlueSkySunnyDay Wed 15-May-13 12:51:30

Ive just bought a new top coat or id be investing in Seche Vite too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now