We've done 'mumsy', now uniform mum:

(40 Posts)
LittleFrieda Thu 02-May-13 10:38:30

Breton striped top
Jeans (narrow leg)
White Converse

This is the current uniform at my children's school gate. I'd be interested to know if there are regional variations.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 02-May-13 10:42:28

Boyfriend jeans
breton top
statement necklace or scarf
converse or acne pistol boots

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 02-May-13 10:42:55

Actually our list is basically the same except for the jeans. But yes you can substitue the boyfriend jeans with skinnies too grin

Pinkflipflop Thu 02-May-13 10:45:19

Is this a bad thing??? To dress like this, I mean? confused

LowLevelWhinging Thu 02-May-13 10:47:13

I don't get it confused

Our uniform mum is, er, a coat of some description, some clothes, er...shoes grin

EmpressMaud Thu 02-May-13 10:48:40

Joules or Boden dresses/skirts, with gilets on the cooler days. Or skinny jeans, converse, breton top.

juneau Thu 02-May-13 10:49:27

Nice top
Skinny jeans or cropped trousers
Ballet pumps

BookieMonster Thu 02-May-13 10:51:08
LittleFrieda Thu 02-May-13 10:51:21

It isn't a bad thing, just interesting that in spite of all the stuff in all the shops, women of school-age children are all wearing the same thing.

LittleFrieda Thu 02-May-13 10:56:17

Perhaps it's a relief to become mumsy and have more freedom of expression? grin

Eskino Thu 02-May-13 11:00:07

It's just dayear innit?

Much as I'd like to, I'm not going to pick up kids from school in a cocktail frock, dressed as Alice in wonderland or in a giant Easter bunny costume. Though I might wear all of these outfits on other, more suitable occasions.

Jeans, top, jacket, shoes.

Eskino Thu 02-May-13 11:00:48

Or dayWear grin

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 02-May-13 11:01:37

What do you wear at the school gate LittleFrieda?

I have to say I do own some of those items and have been known to pair them up but on the days I do the school run and am not working I do just throw stuff on for comfort and am not consciously conforming to a uniform (or maybe I am sub-consciously wink)

amazingface Thu 02-May-13 11:12:10

Weird...I'm not at the school run stage yet but a Breton, skinny jeans and white converse sounds great to me, universally flattering actually. And as long as the uniform is flattering, it's all good.

Nobody criticises the French for having a uniform!

actually I sometimes do but I'm just jealous

I'm probably being dim but what's a breton top?

Hopefully Thu 02-May-13 11:15:08

BLACK. They all wear so much bloody black! In varying styles, to be fair.

<colour lover>

MolotovCocktail Thu 02-May-13 11:17:21

This spring, it tends to be a nice top/light-knit jumper, skinnies or cut-offs, ballet flats and perhaps a bright-block colour jacket or leather jacket.

I like to look good - I feel that I wear a uniform most days; things that I know look good together and that I can pull on quickly.

There needs to be some kind of 'uniform' when you're up and out so early, as well having to get one or more children ready, doesn't there?

I admire they way that a few of the mums dress at my dd's school. They are excellently turned out and make it look effortless; the ones I admire are very attractive and just waft style. I have a bit of a crush on one of them grin

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 02-May-13 11:18:18
scaevola Thu 02-May-13 11:19:41

I must be more conformist than I thought - today is Breton top, cropped jeans and fit flops.

Ah it seems I am wearing a breton top and had no idea that's what its called.

I don't belong in style and beauty.

DewDr0p Thu 02-May-13 11:29:10

winter uniform:
skinny jeans, flat boots, down coat with hood, can't see the rest.

summer uniform:
skinny jeans, fit flops/ballet pumps/converse, white stuff/boden/fat face/joules top, little cardi. add a gilet for cooler days.

Very few bretons here - they are way too fashion forward for our rural neck of the woods grin Heck I am the only one wearing ankle boots or blazers and I really don't consider myself very on the ball fashion-wise.

I don't really care where anyone shops but there are some mums at our school who seem to be totally obsessed with Boden/Joules/F&B.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 02-May-13 11:39:00

Eskino nothing wrong with the 'uniform'. It's just an observation isn't? You can tell someone is a teen from their clothes clearly too. Also why does it have to be cocktail dress or bunny costume if someone isn't in this uniform?

I'm not at the school gate yet, but I'm sure I stand out at the nursery gate. I do the run in my cycle gear. Even a cycling skull hat in winter. It's comfy and I'm not going to get into a set of clothes just for the drop off. (I cycle to work after dropping DD off at nursery).

youlooklikeaclown Thu 02-May-13 11:39:31

Yar Cap'n all I can see is white trousers and breton tops. Would someone please fetch an accordion so y'all can dance the Sailor's bleedin' Hornpipe. Yes I am dressed like Alanis Morrisette, thanks for noticing!

Jeans, trainers/pumps, big jumper/coat of some kind.

Mums at my school are not into fashion it seems. Even in summer that is all they wear except replace jumper with scabby t-shirt.

carrie74 Thu 02-May-13 11:55:13

Oh, I can definitely subscribe to that look (although 4/5 days I'm actually on my way to/from work, so a bit smarter) grin. Not many others at my school like that though: too many dog walkers / runners.

I think it would be nice if the ones wearing jeans wore ones that fit though, too many women doing their figures a disservice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now