Do shoes worn bare foot ALWAYS hurt you?

(105 Posts)
LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:26

Or is it just me? I bought some loafers to wear sans socks and am busy wearing them in. Mate look askance! She never has this. Now I do have skinny long chicken feet so getting shoes that are slim enough is a big deal.

So here I am, wearing them with socks around the house as they pinch on my heels.

AM I alone?

awkwardsis Mon 22-Apr-13 18:44:07

I don't sweat, I glow

greenhill Mon 22-Apr-13 18:45:22

I am a delicate flower and always wear socks with my shoes. I will make an exception for sandals with bare feet in the summer, if I have broken them in over several months. Otherwise I could walk from the front door to our drive and come out in blisters.

I have skinny feet and have tried the bare feet balm, but it just makes my feet slide out of my sandals...

Chandon Mon 22-Apr-13 18:46:00

Use a bit of talcum powder daily, keeps them smelling fesh, and dry so less rubbing.

It should not be necessary to break shoes in, good shoes should not be hard or have painful edges. Good shoes are hard to find. Made in Italy usually means better fitting shoes, imo.

And the lining has to be leather or fabric, faux leather inside means sweat and rub and paon.

LivesInLegoland Mon 22-Apr-13 18:46:37

Couple of odd tips which might help ! Try rubbing the inside of the shoe where it hurts with the back of a teaspoon or rub Vaseline on the inside of the shoe. Both seem to soften up the shoe so it doesn't pinch.

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 18:55:39

mine are the clarks ones - tassel

look nice with me primark jeans

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 18:55:51

or is it tassle?

no puter says no

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 18:56:56

you lot seem to ooze body fluids from every orifice.
I dont gush vaginal fluid out at the gym into my capris OR sweat of hoof unless its over 25 degrees

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 19:00:47

SHould have read reviews - loads of folk complaining about them rubbing

I am a dullard, buy in haste....

badguider Mon 22-Apr-13 19:02:00

yes, always. the skin on my feet is very soft - i guess because i wear 'comfortable' shoes most of the time and don't often wear slip-ons. also i do walk a lot - at least a few miles a day minimum.

i have only found one or two pairs of sandals i can wear to walk around all day long on a very hot day and they are relatively ugly to be honest.
Even things like birkenstocks i can only wear on a day i'm not walking as much as usual.

This summer (pregnant) i'm going to try converse with little low-top cotton socks.

JamEyelid Mon 22-Apr-13 19:03:31

The Angelica Slice?

I'm going to pay more attention to what things are called in future as they are definitely slicing into me!

vitaminC Mon 22-Apr-13 19:08:21

I always wear new shoes in first by wearing them with socks around the house for at least a week before I venture out with them sockless...

LadyMountbatten Mon 22-Apr-13 19:09:29

ditto slice

yellowhousewithareddoor Mon 22-Apr-13 19:11:00

I've got converse. Only good with jeans or trousers though aren't they? What do you do with skirts and dresses. . .

ZolaBuddleia Mon 22-Apr-13 19:14:17

All these descriptions of feet are making me feel queasy.

bulletproofgerbil Mon 22-Apr-13 19:42:38

I've never found any shoes/trainers/pumps that I find don't rub or feel unpleasant without socks/tights. Sandals I can usually get sorted after a huge search for something that doesn't rub somewhere.

badguider Mon 22-Apr-13 21:45:03

I think you can wear converse with leggings under a skirt or dress. Am pregnant so got no skirts right now, but some dresses that will go with leggings.

PastaBeeandCheese Mon 22-Apr-13 22:56:03

All the time. Cut my feet only yesterday on some pink Nine Wests. Had to stop at Sainsbos for plasters and literally hobbled to the pharmacy bit.

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 10:58:26

Brandy sounds great meditrina! Cheers!

If your feet sweat, you can always spray em with deodorant/ antiperspirant, or rub a pit rock on them.
Soaking them in alum (get it in the chemist, it's what pit rock is made from) is also very good for getting rid of sweatiness, and it toughens up the skin a bit too.

Look a bunch of flowers flowers because its spring x

VenusRising Tue 23-Apr-13 10:58:57

Ha ha Zola LOL

spaghettina Tue 23-Apr-13 11:49:23

I have the same problem- my feet aren't particularly sweaty, I think the problem is very thin, soft skin and weird knobbly heel bones.

I tend to wear boots whenever I can get away with it. New shoes are always agony, even with socks, and even those Made in Italy i.e. most of the shoes I own - not to mention sandals!
As for Converse - they're mostly comfortable but only with thick enough socks.

Plathism Tue 23-Apr-13 12:33:45

ALL shoes worn with bare feet (even flip flops) give me instant blisters. Except French Sole Harriets, but that's probably because they are so tiny and low cut there's not much leather there to rub you. I have small, narrow, weakling feet.

freddiefrog Tue 23-Apr-13 12:43:39

Occasionally, the ones that are causing me the most grief at the moment are a pair of Clarkes brogues.

They've given me a couple of blisters but they're still quite new so I'm persevering with them whilst carrying plasters around with me

YoniOno Tue 23-Apr-13 12:58:26

I wouldn't wear brogues or similar with bare feet. But ballerinas, always, most of them don't hurt as long as I buy decent ones that aren't too small and are leather.

They do stink by halfway through the summer though, will def try talcum (I can use the baby powder Mil insisted I needed that's gathering dust)

fedupofnamechanging Tue 23-Apr-13 13:05:03

I buy insoles for my ballerinas and just change them regularly to stop the shoes from going manky.

My shoes always hurt - even expensive ones. Have some lovely Dune open toe ones to break in. They look gorgeous but are so bloody uncomfortable I can barely hobble around the house in them. Still, I won't give up!

ComeAlongPond Tue 23-Apr-13 13:12:12

Have you tried Toms? They look so flimsy but they are dead comfy and don't feel thin on the soles at all. They're so soft on the shoe part though and don't rub. I think they're bringing out some ballet pump style ones too which might be a bit daintier?

I've had mine for about a year and I've worn them almost every day. Including on two impromptu hikes, about six miles over hills and fields each way - I wore them both times and they held up and are still going strong.

Not uber-glamorous, but better than some options!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now