I need footwear help please - am going around in circles.

(106 Posts)

I realise this is an age old question but I need help solving it once and for all. I have lived in ankle boots for the last couple of Autumn/Winters/Springs and I have ballet shoes etc. But what I need is something to wear with skinny jeans on days when I am going to be walking a lot so need a bit more cushioning than ballet flats - but when the calendar says it is no longer boot weather, but it is either too wet or not warm enough for sandals. Sorry for the many 'but's in that.

I thought I would get some Converse low tops but dp says they make me look like a child (not a teenager - a child, fgs). I thought they made my feet look big (I am only a size 4 but have skinny ankles). Shall I get some anyway? Or is there something else out there to solve this problem for me. I have already discounted wedge trainers (because they make me look as if I'm trying to be Victoria Beckham) and Superga (because they make me look like a Playschool presenter).

I like Converse on other people; just not sure about on me. Help please!

aftermay Mon 29-Apr-13 20:24:33

Going round in circles? Are you sure it's a footwear problem? smile

Zoidberg Mon 29-Apr-13 20:19:55

I have found El Naturalista shoes v comfortable for days of lots of walking, they have excellent inner support, can wear with or without pop sox/trainer liners. They do all sorts of styles, maybe a low lace-up from them, it will not be flat inside like so many other brands. They have lots of colours.

Housemum Mon 29-Apr-13 19:18:49

What about these ?

Housemum Mon 29-Apr-13 19:18:05

Hmm, was going to say Rocket Dogs (slip on not the lace ups) but they are all a bit "pretty" now - I had a fab pair that I wore to the ground, cream with little gold studded bits, little shaped studs (honestly, nicer than that sounds!). Sulking now as was going to buy another pair this summer, now having to watch this thread...

Superga pumps make me think of Jason Mason's mum from Grandpa in my pocket, or do I mean Tommy Zoom? One where the Joules-style mum is only seen from waist down wearing pumps and white socks.

Thanks Nelly but I don't like them much - they remind me of being 13 or so!

nellyjelly Sat 20-Apr-13 20:03:19

What about some old skool type trainers such as Puma or Adidas? Comfy and as in suede more waterproof than canvas.

Thanks for all the new comments. I have some v nice Gabor sandals, but the ballet flats aren't the sort of thing I'm after. My quest continues!

OP, I am so glad you shared your dilemma on here! I am in exactly the same situation. Will watch this thread with interest in the hope someone comes up with the almost perfect solution!

Chandon Sat 20-Apr-13 10:20:58
Chandon Sat 20-Apr-13 10:18:16

I wear the gabor ballet flats, the ones with the sort-of-bow, as my everyday shoe, even can do hours of city walking in them! They offer support and have a cushioned sole, yet do not look too " solid"

A rare find imo.

Rieker does lots of horrid shoes, but occasionally have a gem where comfort meets style.

Converse, I hate, it gives you big flappy duck feet imo, and not even that comfy.

Sonotkylie Sat 20-Apr-13 10:05:34

I have some fitflop leather 'trainers' (I hate trainers, these look more like converse etc low tops). Insanely comfy. I have a muted gold y colour but they are a year old. I don't think they look too sports shoe and they aren't covered in logos. Good for the job without being too offensive.

Those boots are really nice (and a good price too!) but I don't want boots - I have boots. Love suede too but no good in the rain.

HousewifeFromHeaven Thu 18-Apr-13 22:22:41
auntpetunia Mon 15-Apr-13 19:50:34

Have loved all the links i have opened, am having a similar dilemma am liking the moccasins a lot, maybe not the price though. going to look through all the links now see if you've found me my ideal shoes.

QOD Mon 15-Apr-13 19:20:41

If you're going round in circles you've probably got two left shoes

Helpful.

They are marginally less hideous than some of the other links on here, Bill - but no good for lots of walking, as too flat and too easily made soggy in the rain!

Bet you'll hate these but Tom's?

LaTrucha Mon 15-Apr-13 18:33:36

I quite like the white keds too.

LaTrucha Mon 15-Apr-13 18:33:04

I think there are some options here. I don't usually like Josef Seibel, but those black patent ones are quite good I think.

mewkins Mon 15-Apr-13 18:25:54

Pf flyers? Think schuh do them.

Cantbelieveitsnotbutter Mon 15-Apr-13 18:24:07

Same dilemma here too.
Loving all the suggestions

Nope - brogues look ridiculous on me, like I'm some sort of aged, crazy aunt, cat-lady.

Ujjayi Mon 15-Apr-13 18:01:24

What about tan brogues? I have a pair from Dune which are way more comfortable than my Converse and they aren't the very masculine ones - they are neat and slender.

LOVE Clueless! smile

ArtexMonkey Mon 15-Apr-13 17:41:29

NOWT

nowt wrong with being picky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now