I need footwear help please - am going around in circles.

(106 Posts)

I realise this is an age old question but I need help solving it once and for all. I have lived in ankle boots for the last couple of Autumn/Winters/Springs and I have ballet shoes etc. But what I need is something to wear with skinny jeans on days when I am going to be walking a lot so need a bit more cushioning than ballet flats - but when the calendar says it is no longer boot weather, but it is either too wet or not warm enough for sandals. Sorry for the many 'but's in that.

I thought I would get some Converse low tops but dp says they make me look like a child (not a teenager - a child, fgs). I thought they made my feet look big (I am only a size 4 but have skinny ankles). Shall I get some anyway? Or is there something else out there to solve this problem for me. I have already discounted wedge trainers (because they make me look as if I'm trying to be Victoria Beckham) and Superga (because they make me look like a Playschool presenter).

I like Converse on other people; just not sure about on me. Help please!

This is only the second time ever that dp has taken a violent dislike to anything I wear/am thinking about wearing. The other thing was a bright coloured trench coat, which I ended up giving to charity because he hated it so much. It's strange too, because usually he couldn't give a fig what I'm wearing.

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 14-Apr-13 19:31:01

How about these

Clarks Originals Lugger Pump in case link doesn't work. I feel your pain tho. I have a gaping hole in my wardrobe for footwear between boots & ballet flats. I do have some moccasins but they're not much better than ballet pumps really. I did have a pair of leather PF Flyers which were good, but can't find another pair...

Damn you fashion industry!! Give us comfortable flat shoes and dresses with sleeves shakes fist at sky

Iatemyskinnyperson Sun 14-Apr-13 19:32:09

I was attempting italics on that shakes fist at sky bit. Font fail confused

RustyBear Sun 14-Apr-13 19:32:59

If you're going round in circles, you really do need footwear help - have you got two left shoes on?

<sorry>

Someone up thread suggested Josef Seibel - I have a couple of pairs similar to these which I find are great for the in-between boots and sandals seasons (assuming we get one this year). They are very comfortable and I can walk all day in them.

Sorry, Rusty and Skinny - I don't like those.

Nope, don't like either of those either. Sorry.

ChocolateCremeEggBag Sun 14-Apr-13 20:00:16

Gabor not really bally shoes ok they are but more comfortable?

jazzandh Sun 14-Apr-13 20:12:24

geox?

anything on here any good

dizzy77 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:12:37

Remus thanks for pointing me over here. I am still lusting after the silver sequinned converse (or metallic silver leather ones) but it does look like we're asking similar questions). I could also do without going too emo (age thing?) and went back to Adidas campus for the first time in 15 years a few years ago and found them annoying and uncomfortable. It sounds like you're looking for not-trainers: I used to work smart casual and wear Fly London and Camper, no specific items to link to but might be worth a look?

I'm definitely after trainers: I was wondering about something like these onitsuka tiger pumps or these other converse.

motherofvikings Sun 14-Apr-13 20:19:09

What about these? rocket dog

They're pretty cushion-y and wider than converse so they make my feet look less long and skinny iyswim.
I quite like the patterns but they might be your dh's idea of too childish. confused

ItsMeAgainYesHowDidYouGuess Sun 14-Apr-13 20:21:29

Does anyone know how wide the superga ones come up? I have converse which I like but my little toes don't as they get rubbed!

EarnestDullard Sun 14-Apr-13 20:28:16
KittieCat Sun 14-Apr-13 20:41:22

Ash do some fab shoes. Some fugly wedge trainers too but ignore, ignore, ignore!

I like these lots:

www.ashfootwear.co.uk/womens-c1/pumps-c19/trainers-c54/ash-virgo-taupe-leather-trainers-p714

ArtexMonkey Sun 14-Apr-13 20:45:19

How about these suede Bertie things?

I am tempted myself but I already have all the shoes, cons, brogues, pf flyers, ballet shoes, etc etc etc etc and I need to instigate a one in one out policy or there will be Words Had.

Thanks all. The Ash ones are lovely but way too expensive. Don't like anything from Geoxx or Camper or Rocket Dog (deffo too childish!) or Sketchers.

I will try the tan Converse things, I think (but need to know how they rate on the childish stakes!).

No to the Bertie things, sorry.

KittieCat Sun 14-Apr-13 21:11:59

Oooh, just seen the tan Cons. I like them, too.

WillPenn Sun 14-Apr-13 21:18:09

I would have to second the other poster who said Converse are supremely uncomfortable. My feet were perpetually freezing and sore because the soles are so thin. The Ash trainers are more expensive but more substantial and hence way comfier.

HeyYoniYoni Sun 14-Apr-13 21:35:39

Does it have to be trainery?

What about a moccassin?

I wear these lots with all sorts of outfits

SlinkyB Sun 14-Apr-13 21:40:47

I actually do quite like those moccasins, but you wouldn't be able to wear socks with them, so not too different to ballet pumps?

Think I may just resign myself to the fact that I always choose comfort over style, and go trainer shopping on Tues (quite liked the look of some of those Tiger ones linked above).

Sorry but no, no to those moccasins.

HeyYoniYoni Sun 14-Apr-13 21:47:17

palladiums? They were all the rage when I were young

I have some converse ballet type - not sure what they're called but come low on my foot where ballet pumps would iyswim. I also have skinny ankles/size 4 feet and I feel that these don't make my feet look big. However my daughter(aged12) turned up her nose at these so am guessing they not as trendy as I thought but I love them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now